Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-05-2014, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Member

You know you are having a bad day when..

Unbelievable but true: 28th of May 2014, okay here it goes. 6 30am start, 7am. Beavertail truck head goes in engine,I have to come back from other job (driving Hilux and 16' trailer) and drop my hilux back to warehouse, pick up back up truck then drive to first breakdown. 2nd when getting taxi back to warehouse I get news that a company that we did landscaing for has gone bang, I won't be getting the €18k for the job. 3rd Get back to warehouse and my hilux won't start (do get it going eventually) 4th heading back out I nip into spraying job, the muppet puts round-up in sprayer instead of lawn week killer! 5th I head to my original job, go to pick up turf cuttter from large country house on way back on hire, owner drives out ahead of me, I am locked in behind massive gates. I go to ring buzzer and see two evil guard dogs running for me. I get back in hilux and wait and wait and two and a half hours later get out but only after I had to take a leak in a plastic bag, which transpired had a hole in it. Meanwhile dogs are on the bonnet trying to eat me alive. I thought they were crazy till I tried to empty the contents of the bag through the window,no luck in my panic the contents spill all over me. hilux now has 1 million scratches. 5th Get back to warehouse put jeep and trailer back in side. Park my personal hilux (different one to previous mentioned) outside when a friend pulls up, "God man you look like you are having a bad day" while standing to the rear a car drives head on into the front of my Hilux!!!! While lying under the back I just laugh. 6th I get home at 9 30pm, have a nice day? No, shower & bed. Oh btw there is no hot water!@#!@.
Next year and every year after I am taking the 28th of May off.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Tanum; 07-05-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like a normal day. Some days are more normal than others, though.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

While pulling into the gargue mys friends wife hits 2 cars parked on the street, runs over the mail box and drives through the gargue door.

I asked him hat he did, he said I just kept screaming for her to turn the car OFF!
Old 07-05-2014, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Coulda shot those dogs if you carry, then you could have saved a little time....
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 07-06-2014, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Coulda shot those dogs if you carry, then you could have saved a little time....
they don't "carry" in ireland… Only pipe bombs
Old 07-06-2014, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know what day it was
My bad day started out My crew had the flu I had it day before So I was solo the next day Stated off I hauled 3 mowers to my biggest Complex Broke a belt on one Rip a front tire on the other and thought valve seat pop out on the other So wasn't even done hauled all the mowers back to the shop to trade them for my other 3 and unload and one I thought valve seat pop out was only Spark lug wire pop off So loaded it back on with another 60'' mower headed back By that time it was up in the 90s I just got the lawn done get back to the truck. The truck and trailer had a flat tire . I was done that day I went home at noon
Old 07-06-2014, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I can't say I've ever had a day that bad because I have a rule...

If I can't make it out of the driveway in under 2 hours, I take the day off.
Or like the other guy, done by noon.

Something an old farmer taught me when I was new, to keep yourself from getting beat up mercilessly.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Honest to God, I really felt like giving up. As the week wore on it got worse. I was convinced that there was a conspiracy against me, then I was hyper paranoid. I was like a rabbit caught in the head lights. So many things went wrong I didn't know what to do, and the phone never stopped ringing. I was on the receiving end of a particularly nasty call from a irate customer (I couldn't cut his grass as I lost two vehicles that week) Anyway, as I was walking back towards the maintenance crew I flung the phone into the shedder. Instantly feeling great, the customer eventually caught up with me and I explained the sudden drop in call, we both had a good laugh. Back on my feet now, two new Nissan NV400 elwb vans. Two new employees and a lesson learned. S*×t happens
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2014, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
they don't "carry" in ireland… Only pipe bombs
I was arrested for having a machete with me in my '4x4'. Dispite it having a company logo a trailer full of hacked branches. Thankfully common sense prevailed and I was released without charge.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2014, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanum View Post
I was arrested for having a machete with me in my '4x4'. Dispite it having a company logo a trailer full of hacked branches. Thankfully common sense prevailed and I was released without charge.
Posted via Mobile Device
How did they KNOW you had the machete? Some kind of cop check point to they pull you over for something?

You know why the english call their cops bobbies right?

Because the only thing they are good for is tossing them in the water for shark bait!