Register free!

Old 07-06-2014, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Sugar huh? I'm sure it helps the weed control stick to the weeds. Interesting

I didn't see anything in that article you provided the link for about adding sugar? Where did you get this idea from?
UAN dealer. Sugar is the carbon source. I'm betting you know the N cycle better than most here-yes? I don't but if I read about it I get something from it. I'll look for something from my extension about that for you Ted. Thanks for asking. I've been doing it for years if that helps you. 46-0-0 fades quickly when spread dry. I know because I just bought a spreader this Spring and started doing it dry and it is fine for about 3 weeks then it fizzles out and now those places don't even look like they had any N to begin with. It's do or die time I'm guessing now with the heat coming close to 90 next week. I'm afraid of burning if I go out and spread now, or it won't rain for 3 weeks if I do and then what? I always throw some sugar with UAN as well. That was the first source of N I ever used on my own lawn. It's still my favorite but not when it's above 75* or it's crispy tire tracks everywhere. Or worse where the overlap gets heavy. I'm told ammonia is what burns the grass not the N- I'm talking immediately post app. Like 2 days after. Sugar really helps to stop that light burn before a good rain hits it. Sorry to ramble. I bow down to Ted Putnam any day.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://fertilizerbrokerage.com/uan-28-uan-32.html
I don't know how reputable this would be, also it's ag not turf. Very quick mention of sugar, not too technical. I got bedtime calling and I thought this would help folks find better info for themselves if they wanted.
Also it's nitrogen(plain and simple) so about 9-10 gallons of the UAN 32 is all an acre of turf can stand with any amount of carrier or "tricks". At least 50 gallons of total solution is around 40 gallons of water added as a carrier/acre. I use 43K for easy math when I need to go smaller than acres. That's my only "trick".
Old 07-06-2014, 04:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll agree sugar has value especially for Microbial actively.

Sugar = Ants so you better have insecticide in the mix.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You know I never noticed it even bringing the ants to the surface. I bet it does feed a few ants though. I have put 2,4-d, dicamba, UAN, and sugar in the same tank many times. I don't know if ants would like that or not.
Also I have been using mouse traps this week to trap some voles in my own yard and the peanut butter/oatmeal bait draws ants to those traps instantly. It's a good point you bring up, I just never had a problem like that here. Yet lol.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post
You know I never noticed it even bringing the ants to the surface. I bet it does feed a few ants though. I have put 2,4-d, dicamba, UAN, and sugar in the same tank many times. I don't know if ants would like that or not.
Also I have been using mouse traps this week to trap some voles in my own yard and the peanut butter/oatmeal bait draws ants to those traps instantly. It's a good point you bring up, I just never had a problem like that here. Yet lol.
You don't have the same insect pressure in Iowa that we have in the Deep South. Fire Ants have been a real problem, now we have Caribbean Crazy Ants.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Righty-o we have sugar, citronella, and carpenter ants mostly here.

I wonder why anyone on a forum would answer the OP with an attitude like this here. If the OP has some secret why not share it? To make the injury worse the OP asks for help and then refuses to share what they know unless a secret trade can be made. What a tool.

I cannot find anything about adding sugar to N, but I remember it's the carbon from the sugar and not the sugar that is needed. It helps to delay the loss of N-or something like that. Maybe it slows the loss of N before it incorporates IDK. But I'm certain they told me the carbon is what is important about the sugar and not that it is sugar. Sugar is cheap and it dissolves fast and complete. It's compatible with UAN and with Urea in my experience.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
no secret. market very heavy and have a large marketing campaign timed as close to spring as you can and get ready for the phones to explode. EDDM post cards. door hangers. advertising shoppers. Again a large advertising budget and timing then get ready for the phones to roll
That about sums it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24D View Post
Should i just go ahead and get another tech in place? Anyone with experince running a route and answering that much call volume at the same time?
Let's walk this thru backwards. How many calls will you need to take just to sell 500 new sales? (What's your close rate) How many ads will you need to distribute for those many calls? (What's your response rate) How much are you willing to invest to generate that activity? (What's your target cost per accout)

Answer that and you will start to see if you can run a route and sell like a champ.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2014, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

To sell 400-500 accounts your going to need 700-1000 leads, someone to answer the phones and sell them, then the manpower to service them...all in about a 2 month period...it can be done but won't be easy or cheap
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2014, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

42k budgeted. $ 105 per customer .002% close 600 calls
Old 07-06-2014, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the hardest part is servicing them all...make sure you have a good software like real green
And good systems to make sure you service them fast as well as servicing your existing customers..ohh and make sure you stay out of louisville
Posted via Mobile Device