Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-05-2014, 10:17 PM
CNYScapes's Avatar
CNYScapes CNYScapes is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: very cold place
Posts: 745
What would you do?

Here is the situation, give me your thoughts.

Moving to a new area down south. Dont really know anyone so starting from scratch. Pretty dense area with decent incomes and home values.

Would you-

Buy an existing business with at least 1 route to get started?
Lets hypothetically say the business accounts are $25K

or

Spend that $25K advertising, web, adwords, postcards, doorhangers, angies list?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-06-2014, 03:31 AM
crusty_crab80 crusty_crab80 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alaska
Posts: 83
Do it all yourself. Be a pioneer. Create your own name, brand and reputation. If the quality is there the work will come.

Just offer deals your 1st year. No need to advertise
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-06-2014, 05:24 AM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 3,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYScapes View Post
Here is the situation, give me your thoughts.

Moving to a new area down south. Dont really know anyone so starting from scratch. Pretty dense area with decent incomes and home values.

Would you-

Buy an existing business with at least 1 route to get started?
Lets hypothetically say the business accounts are $25K

or

Spend that $25K advertising, web, adwords, postcards, doorhangers, angies list?
start out fresh
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-06-2014, 08:02 AM
wbw's Avatar
wbw wbw is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: houston tx
Posts: 4,179
As cheap as people sell these routes I would buy a small one to establish a market presence and grow fom there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-06-2014, 09:09 AM
CNYScapes's Avatar
CNYScapes CNYScapes is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: very cold place
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbw View Post
As cheap as people sell these routes I would buy a small one to establish a market presence and grow fom there.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is what my initial thoughts are. If I can find one for a decent price. That way I will have immediate income. Problem is the ones I have seen lately they want big dollars for, that is what is making me think about just advertising.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-06-2014, 10:23 AM
DuallyVette DuallyVette is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 2,039
Where are you moving to?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-06-2014, 10:25 AM
CNYScapes's Avatar
CNYScapes CNYScapes is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: very cold place
Posts: 745
moving to Atlanta Northern Suburbs
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-06-2014, 02:30 PM
32vld 32vld is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 3,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYScapes View Post
moving to Atlanta Northern Suburbs
First things first. Do you have the money for a wardrobe change?

You have to get rid of all of your blue clothes.

As to buy or advertise. Are you relocating with a wife? Will she have a job there?

Where are you going to live? Buy, rent, free load off of relatives? Will you be able to buy a new house for what you sell your Yankee palace for?

$25,000 to buy a business, or advertise.

More important is how much other cash is behind you?

Will you be able to get by for your first year without much income until you get established?

I would rather advertise then buy someone's route that is full of under priced lawns and customers that go for very little up sell work.

So why the move?


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-06-2014, 03:09 PM
CNYScapes's Avatar
CNYScapes CNYScapes is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: very cold place
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
First things first. Do you have the money for a wardrobe change?

You have to get rid of all of your blue clothes.

As to buy or advertise. Are you relocating with a wife? Will she have a job there?

Where are you going to live? Buy, rent, free load off of relatives? Will you be able to buy a new house for what you sell your Yankee palace for?

$25,000 to buy a business, or advertise.

More important is how much other cash is behind you?

Will you be able to get by for your first year without much income until you get established?

I would rather advertise then buy someone's route that is full of under priced lawns and customers that go for very little up sell work.

So why the move?


Moving for better weather and longer working season. Sick and tired of snowplowing 120 inches a year for last 20 yrs.

Wife will work but I have never depended on her to pay any bills and I wont expect that in the future.

Already bought a house. No mortgage. $25k is just what I would like to spend to get started. I am looking at larger business also. If it take more money, yes i have the cash to do it.

Yes I could survive a year without income but that is not going to happen. I have 12 employees up here and expect to grow quickly in new location.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Chilehead's Avatar
Chilehead Chilehead is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockbridge, GA
Posts: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYScapes View Post
Moving for better weather and longer working season. Sick and tired of snowplowing 120 inches a year for last 20 yrs.

Wife will work but I have never depended on her to pay any bills and I wont expect that in the future.

Already bought a house. No mortgage. $25k is just what I would like to spend to get started. I am looking at larger business also. If it take more money, yes i have the cash to do it.

Yes I could survive a year without income but that is not going to happen. I have 12 employees up here and expect to grow quickly in new location.

Thanks for your input.
I have clients in the area you are moving to, and the competition is fierce. Many of the local companies are top-notch. My advice to you is INNOVATE. Research what the top LCOs in your area offer, and find ways to surpass them. Also, you will need to purchase reel mowers for your high-end clients. Expect to mow them at least twice a week. I am originally from NE Ohio myself, and was in for a shock when I moved down here in 2001.
__________________


Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:15 PM.

Page generated in 0.07729 seconds with 9 queries