Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-06-2014, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilehead View Post
I have clients in the area you are moving to, and the competition is fierce. Many of the local companies are top-notch. My advice to you is INNOVATE. Research what the top LCOs in your area offer, and find ways to surpass them. Also, you will need to purchase reel mowers for your high-end clients. Expect to mow them at least twice a week. I am originally from NE Ohio myself, and was in for a shock when I moved down here in 2001.
Thanks Chile, I agree there are alot of top LCOs in this area but this does not scare me it motivates me. It also tells me that there is a NEED for this service and they are willing to pay for it.

I closed on my house there (east cobb/Marietta) 2 months ago but have not moved down yet. This put me in a position to need lawn service. I called and requested estimates from close to 10 companies. 7 out of 10 provided quotes, most within 2 days some within 5 days. 2 days was the earliest quote I got. Lame if you ask me. I can do better than that.

In addition, the lowest quote I got out of all of them was $50 per cut, trim, blow, edge. I was shocked, this would be a $35-$38 lawn where I am from. the $50 was from one guy, most of them were in the $65 range with one guy wanting $75. Maybe you can clue me in on why the prices are much higher there? By the way, Im not complaining Im loving the higher pricing for when I get down there.

I know Ive got a lot to learn.down there. You didnt answer my question, buy a small biz or spend on advertising?
Old 07-06-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYScapes View Post
Thanks Chile, I agree there are alot of top LCOs in this area but this does not scare me it motivates me. It also tells me that there is a NEED for this service and they are willing to pay for it.

I closed on my house there (east cobb/Marietta) 2 months ago but have not moved down yet. This put me in a position to need lawn service. I called and requested estimates from close to 10 companies. 7 out of 10 provided quotes, most within 2 days some within 5 days. 2 days was the earliest quote I got. Lame if you ask me. I can do better than that.

In addition, the lowest quote I got out of all of them was $50 per cut, trim, blow, edge. I was shocked, this would be a $35-$38 lawn where I am from. the $50 was from one guy, most of them were in the $65 range with one guy wanting $75. Maybe you can clue me in on why the prices are much higher there? By the way, Im not complaining Im loving the higher pricing for when I get down there.

I know Ive got a lot to learn.down there. You didnt answer my question, buy a small biz or spend on advertising?
One reason for the higher prices is there is no Snow plowing. There is a good chance of drought. Many lawns are cut every 2 weeks. Georgia is very hot and humid all the time in the Summer. Workers definitely earn their pay.
I would buy an existing company since you can pay cash
Old 07-06-2014, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Moving for better weather and longer working season. Sick and tired of snowplowing 120 inches a year for last 20 yrs.

Wife will work but I have never depended on her to pay any bills and I wont expect that in the future.

Already bought a house. No mortgage. $25k is just what I would like to spend to get started. I am looking at larger business also. If it take more money, yes i have the cash to do it.

Yes I could survive a year without income but that is not going to happen. I have 12 employees up here and expect to grow quickly in new location.

Thanks for your input.
Obviously you are are committed to moving but if snow put you over the edge, why not delegate vs throw in the towel? Walking away from the best profit center because there is too much of it doesn't register with me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2014, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
Obviously you are are committed to moving but if snow put you over the edge, why not delegate vs throw in the towel? Walking away from the best profit center because there is too much of it doesn't register with me.
Posted via Mobile Device
After 20 seasons of it, Im burned out. Also sick of the rotting trucks from all the salt on the roads and just the general freezing cold weather. Not sure where you are from but we usually have snow on the ground from Late November all the way through end of March. Thats a long time. Not to mention the ice which results in slip and falls on commercial properties on which the clients hold us responsible.

Can you tell Im sick of it?? lol Its time to move on and Ive done very well up here so I can comfortably make this move.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Moving for better weather and longer working season. Sick and tired of snowplowing 120 inches a year for last 20 yrs.

Wife will work but I have never depended on her to pay any bills and I wont expect that in the future.

Already bought a house. No mortgage. $25k is just what I would like to spend to get started. I am looking at larger business also. If it take more money, yes i have the cash to do it.

Yes I could survive a year without income but that is not going to happen. I have 12 employees up here and expect to grow quickly in new location.

Thanks for your input.
Seems as you got it under control. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well I can say the Southern Summers are miserable and sometime the heat can literally kill you.

I looked at a business in Mariatta 2 years ago for 85k, but opted not to buy it as I don't want to move back into a big city.

You may be able to find a solo business for the value of the equiptment.

As Chilihead said the competition is fierce, and I would not let one experience convence you that prices are high.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
You didnt answer my question, buy a small biz or spend on advertising?
Advertise. Build it from the ground up, your way.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought an existing operation with 30 accounts when I started out. I like that route best if you can get the capital. Gives you some income and a good starting point. Lets the previous owner show you are the area as well if you are new.

Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC