Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-06-2014, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Member

34Hp Toro Kohler EFI stalls out... dealer can't find problem

Hello all,

Have a 72" Kohler efi with 650 hours on it. It has been in and out of the shop for the past 2 months and they still haven't fixed the problem. While mowing it will lose most of its power and slug along, but the blades will still cut. The last time it just shut off completely and had to push it on the trailer. They tried changing 02 censor, there was a crack in muffler (that was replaced). NOT TO MENTION they gave me a loaner since it's been in the shop so much AND THE LOANER HAS THE SAME ISSUE. Anyone else have this issue with an EFI? Any solutions? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What dealer are you using
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2014, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

It's a local dealer around me.... going to leave their name out of it for right now, as they are trying to get it right. But, I can't afford to constantly be running to the shop like this. Hoping to hear some good insight from others on this issue.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Where are you at? Might be able to point you to a good dealer
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2014, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Around Cecil County
Old 07-07-2014, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The EFI's have been a welcome surprise. Very Very few problems except the same landscaper abuse and neglect. Nothing new there. Does the dealer have the diagnostic program? If not, ask him why he's selling something he can't repair. Who does he think he is Walmart? Is it storing a code? If not, it may have nothing to do with the efi system. People mostly blame it because they have no idea how it works. Dealers included.
I would recommend the next time it fails, check for codes yourself.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasscutter24 View Post
Hello all,

Have a 72" Kohler efi with 650 hours on it. It has been in and out of the shop for the past 2 months and they still haven't fixed the problem. While mowing it will lose most of its power and slug along, but the blades will still cut. The last time it just shut off completely and had to push it on the trailer. They tried changing 02 censor, there was a crack in muffler (that was replaced). NOT TO MENTION they gave me a loaner since it's been in the shop so much AND THE LOANER HAS THE SAME ISSUE. Anyone else have this issue with an EFI? Any solutions? Thanks in advance.
What is the fuel pressure PRE running bad, and what is the fuel pressure while it is running bad or starts to die?

There will be no codes thrown (saved) for a low fuel pressure condition...

Sounds like the main fuel filter and or the in tank filter (strainer) is getting restricted enough to start starving fuel pump for fuel after use.

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 07-07-2014, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

My brothers toro efi had a similar problem; they checked fuel filter, checked for clog in tank etc. his only acted up when the weather was hot, and heat shielding the fuel lines and remounting the fuel pump away from the engine block fixed it. Your problem may be different but thats what worked in his case. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2014, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
The EFI's have been a welcome surprise. Very Very few problems except the same landscaper abuse and neglect. Nothing new there. Does the dealer have the diagnostic program? If not, ask him why he's selling something he can't repair. Who does he think he is Walmart? Is it storing a code? If not, it may have nothing to do with the efi system. People mostly blame it because they have no idea how it works. Dealers included.
I would recommend the next time it fails, check for codes yourself.
Thanks for your input. Will check the codes out myself next time. I asked him about that a while back and he claims he purchased the diagnostic software (after the 1st month of not being able to address the issue).
Old 07-07-2014, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasscutter24 View Post
Thanks for your input. Will check the codes out myself next time. I asked him about that a while back and he claims he purchased the diagnostic software (after the 1st month of not being able to address the issue).
If you bring it down to cycle and turf they could probably fix it for you. Kohler as well, but not sure if he sells toro for warranty work. I know he has exmark. Can't remember.
Posted via Mobile Device