Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-07-2014, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

long weekend gift...rain... busy season

So, my wife decided (against everything I always say about summer travel... I can't do it too busy) to book a long weekend across the state. She's a teacher and has summers off and flew in my friend from across the country, got us rooms on the beach and tickets to two games for my favorite team...

But its my busy season. I'm supposed to pick my buddy up at the airport at four pm Thursday and start driving cross state early Friday morning. So I have to somehow finish all my work before 4pm Thursday and there is rain in the forecast every day this week...sitting out a storm right now in my truck in fact.

I hate compromising my business by potentially irritating customers by maybe not getting to their lawns but between rain and family commitments (I know a fun trip isn't mandatory but it is) I'm kind of being forced to think "work to live not live to work'' and "focus a bit on the sweet part of life and don't worry about work for three day weekend and enjoy friends and family"...would have never booked this myself and its stressing me out, but I think I have to just let myself enjoy it and not worry about work for a few day? Enjoy life a bit...
Old 07-07-2014, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ah, sound much like myself!

We often lose sight that we need a weekend or two off to reset the clock. We run like mad during the summer season. So, work it all out, you have a few long days ahead of you to hit the early day mark. If it looks tight grab some quick help for a day to speed things along. Even if its close to a break even day it will help you hit the mark and get you going with less stress.

Rain is a cruel mistress when you need a clear day though...Push it in the rain a bit maybe? Sucks, but sometimes has to be done to keep progress rolling. I had to do that for a few weddings I had planned. I can't not standup in my friends wedding, so got to do what you got to do sometimes!

Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 07-07-2014, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey locqus. Thank you for the wise and supportive words. I am trying to push. I just did that last yard despite the the ground being soaked and leaving some tracks. I gotta get this all in before Thursday afternoon! Gotta live life. It will be fun. But not as much fun if I'm thinking the whole time how I didn't get to those yards before I left.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I was sick this morning. Enough to not work today. I called up my friend. We drove out east to my dealer to drop off my 21" mower to get fixed. Being out east I rode out to Orient Point where my son works as a life guard and sat on the beach and relaxed for two hours. Then I drove to Greenport were my other son works in a wood burning oven pizzeria for lunch. We then drove back to Calverton to and the mower was not ready. It was not a simple problem to fix.

I handed my friend the keys and told him to drive us home. Riding shotgun I nodded on and off.

I then went straight to my sofa and slept the second half of afternoon away.

Do not feel guilty. We all need to recharge our batteries from time to time.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah but now with this rain I'm worried that I'm not going to get to do some houses before I leave...in my mind that's unacceptable. People have gotten used to me mowing on the weekend to make up for the crazy rain we get during the week...I guess they will have to understand sometimes the weekend can be for myself...even if it rained all week. Their lawn can get cut Monday (and hope they don't fire me).
Old 07-08-2014, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks 32vld...I appreciate it...gotta take care of ourselves and live too.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdown View Post
Yeah but now with this rain I'm worried that I'm not going to get to do some houses before I leave...in my mind that's unacceptable. People have gotten used to me mowing on the weekend to make up for the crazy rain we get during the week...I guess they will have to understand sometimes the weekend can be for myself...even if it rained all week. Their lawn can get cut Monday (and hope they don't fire me).
Just tell them. People are human. If they have a problem with that they're not worth having
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2014, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you can't take a single long weekend all summer something is wrong IMO. When your just starting out or have a new big goal it should be "live to work" for awhile. But at some point we should all be "working to live".

As I have said before I wouldn't be in this or any business if I had to bust hump all day every day all summer all year after year. I would atleast need a few built in mini vacations, after all this is your business.

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whitty spark and j pocket... Thanks. Totally true. If they don't understand, then I'm better off without them in the long run. Very true...its my business and I'm only human. I need some r and r and personal time too! Thanks guys for the perspective... You rock! We got an nice comraderie on lawnsite...we need to unionize lawn care so we never have to drop our gates for less than $40 a lawn! Let's organize this!
Old 07-09-2014, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can this power union all run Locqus? I would love $40 a lawn! haha, all paid digitally so we don't have to chase it!

Yup, only human, can only do so much. When I get swamped I try to remember that fact. I recently brought on my new partner who is the first one to have kids on the crew. Really puts things in perspective as far as hours and time for family etc. Necessary for everyone. Work to live.

Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC