Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-02-2014, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Honda hrb215sda

Guy dropped this mower off at my house and he said shop replaced transmission about a year ago. Belt looks good and tight. It is only going one speed. This is three speed transmission. The drive cable is stopping and starting. The wheels turn but seems like it is just working in first gear. I know the cable ties on handle are broke for the wires. Could this be the problem. Or does anybody know how to adjust this cable. Or could it be drive cable needs tightening. Everything is hooked up underneath. When I put the drive handle bar and look underneath it seems like transmission. Don't move much. Like it is not tightening belt enough. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2014, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Wasn't belt put new belt on. I think something is wrong inside transmission but doesn't make any noises. Everything works fine except just goes one speed. I have tried adjusting cable every way. Still nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2014, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Member

There were a number of versions (and transmissions) used the the HRB215 model. Early models had serviceable parts inside, while later models did not. If you'll share the serial number with me, I can get some service tips:

Old 07-07-2014, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Serial Mzba-6245345. Thanks for responding. What is the easiest way to take transmissions off Hondas. I can undo the big spring. But what are the steps to take off two cables. Any help please. Is the speed lever on 3 speed lawnmowers suppose to click. Like the other ones that have about 5 speeds.thank you again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2014, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Not sure about any audible or tactile "click" on shifter arm...

This mower is right at 15 years old, and service parts are no longer available, sorry. Honda does offer a whole new transmission, but list price is $336 (ouch).

Here's the procedure to remove the trans:

1. Shift the transmission into 2nd gear. Loosen the clutch cable lock nuts and remove the clutch cable from the handlebar.
Loosen the shift cable lock nuts and remove the shift cable from the handlebar bracket. Leave the shift cable connected to the shift lever.
2. Drain the fuel from the fuel tank and carburetor. Drain the engine oil and turn the mower upside down. Rest the handlebar on a support to prevent damage to the recoil starter cover.
3. Remove the rear wheels, drive gears, ratchets keys, and ratchet return springs. Remove the wheel covers and the rear deck scroll (this is the removable section in the rear of the deck...three bolts, as I recall).
4. Insert a screwdriver or rod into the cable holder bracket hole and pivot the transmission to remove the belt from the pulley.
5. Remove the 13 mm circlips from the axle.
6. Remove the 22 mm circlips from the inside of the rear adjusters and remove the adjusters.
7. Loosen the shift cable lock nut and remove the cable from the transmission bracket. Disconnect the cable from the handlebar.
8. Remove the transmission from the mower.
9. Disconnect the shift cable from the transmission.

Install:
1. Install the clutch cable to the transmission. Connect the shift cable to the transmission change arm as shown. Do not position the cable on the cable bracket. Install the rear tensioner spring plate in the mower deck and connect the tensioner spring to the plate.
2. Position the 22 mm circlips and washers on the transmission axle and install the transmission in the mower. Route the clutch cable through the hole in the mower deck. Route the shift cable behind the engine.
3. Apply general purpose grease to the inside of the rear adjuster bushings and install the rear adjusters. Install the inside washers and circlips on the adjusters.
4. Install the 13 mm washers and 13 mm circlips.
5. Connect the tensioner spring to the transmission.
6. Insert a screwdriver or rod into the hole, pivot the transmission, and install the belt over the pulley.
7.Connect the clutch and shift cables to the handlebar. Attach the lower end of the shift cable to the cable holder bracket.
8. Install the rear scroll. Tighten the 8 mm bolts to the specified torque (18 ft-lb).
9. If removed, install the wheel covers . Apply grease to the ends of the axle and install the 13 mm washers, ratchet return springs, spacers, keys, and drive gears. Install the 13 mm circlips.
The pinion gears have punch marks on them. Install the left gear so the punch mark faces inside and install the right gear so the mark faces outside.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

What about the two washers one is bent how do they go. Flat washer then the bent washer facing the wheel cover or bent washer facing the wheel.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2014, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Also I have another honda mower working on don't have serial number. It's a hrb215 too. But it has different setup. I think it's a sxa. Wheels are grinding. I replaced the gears. They were bad. But I found the bushings underside of deck was out on transmission axle. I punched them back in. But don't know how long will last.they probably will pop back out. Do you have to take transmission off to put new bushings. I guess with the bushing out it was making wheels pop when you tried to pull backwards. Are the wheels suppose to roll backwards. These don't. I got gears in right like your post earlier.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2014, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy35321 View Post
Do you have to take transmission off to put new bushings. I guess with the bushing out it was making wheels pop when you tried to pull backwards. Are the wheels suppose to roll backwards. These don't. I got gears in right like your post earlier.
Posted via Mobile Device
You can replace the bushings without removing the trans. on most models. Wheels should roll backwards on all models. Here's a drawing from the shop manual that will help:

Old 07-08-2014, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Bushings were bad wore on one side. Does it make a difference which way the circlip or retaining rings or snap rings go on the shaft.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2014, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

If you look close, most circlips do have a sharp, 90-degree edge on one side, and slightly smoother, rounded edge on the other. In some applications, it does matter which side is used, but not on these mowers. The circlips can be fitted either direction, no problem.

More important is to make sure they are not stretched or bent and fit properly. If in doubt, replace. They are cheap, and it is a lot easier to go ahead and replace when you have everything apart vs. having one pop loose after you get it all put back together.