Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-06-2014, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If this thread were 5 years old, I'd vote for Shindaiwa T260 or Stihl FS85.

Nowadays I'm not so sure but I guess Stihl's new FS94 and Shindaiwa T254 are top picks.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 07-06-2014, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much line (.95) can you efficiently load into the husky 223?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2014, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonWin View Post
How much line (.95) can you efficiently load into the husky 223?
Posted via Mobile Device
I do 24' most of the time, but I can get about 26-28' if I take my time and wind it evenly.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post
If this thread were 5 years old, I'd vote for Shindaiwa T260 or Stihl FS85.

Nowadays I'm not so sure but I guess Stihl's new FS94 and Shindaiwa T254 are top picks.
The FS 85 helped create Stihl's brand loyalty. What people are willing to pay for them used on E-Bay will attest to that. I had one and have kicked myself a thousand times for trading it in on a 4-Mess. If the FS 94 turns out to be a dead reliable 2-stroke it will be a winner for Stihl and for brand loyal Stihl customers.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

All this trimmer talk going on, I just went and bought myself another "back-up" Husky 223 tonight. I did an hour of running this machine right next to my echo and hand for hand comparison and these 223's are awesome for the price paid. I obviously wouldn't suggest them for over-grown "brush wacking", but side my side with my Echo SRM 225 and 230 both, the Husky all around is a better machine. I held the Husky off the ground a few inches with one hand then held the Echo up a few inches. The 223 Husky is easily held with one hand nearly balancing itself. The SRM 225 held right after the Husky 223 feels like a brick. The balance on the Echo is not near the balance of the Husky. Reved machine for machine, the Husky seemed to outperform the Echo by a bit. Now off trimming my personal lawn back to back with the Husky, both machines trim just like a trimmer should. But the balance and 9 lb. weight of the Husky make it feel "nimble" or lightweight and much easier to be whipped around like the whipper should be. I love this Husky!

(I took the Praying For Rain out of my signature, due to my hypothesis that it has been a jinx on Central Texas.) Now here comes the rain.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
All this trimmer talk going on, I just went and bought myself another "back-up" Husky 223 tonight. I did an hour of running this machine right next to my echo and hand for hand comparison and these 223's are awesome for the price paid. I obviously wouldn't suggest them for over-grown "brush wacking", but side my side with my Echo SRM 225 and 230 both, the Husky all around is a better machine. I held the Husky off the ground a few inches with one hand then held the Echo up a few inches. The 223 Husky is easily held with one hand nearly balancing itself. The SRM 225 held right after the Husky 223 feels like a brick. The balance on the Echo is not near the balance of the Husky. Reved machine for machine, the Husky seemed to outperform the Echo by a bit. Now off trimming my personal lawn back to back with the Husky, both machines trim just like a trimmer should. But the balance and 9 lb. weight of the Husky make it feel "nimble" or lightweight and much easier to be whipped around like the whipper should be. I love this Husky!
Honestly I have the same exact results as yyou. Who Evers first to the trimmer picks the husky 223 over the srm225 everytime. I'm secretly waiting for the 225 to die, just so I can get another 223 from lowes. If anything happens, I'll keep the receipt and act like Joe homeowner.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-17-2014, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Have had husqvarna, stihl.. Now all I have and use is Shindaiwa! That half ass 2 stroke/4 cycle crap stihl uses now is god awful my T242 shindy has more balls then the fs90s and starts in 1-2 pulls not 150, for the money husqy 223 is a nice machine just to much vibration for me I still keep it around tho beats the stihl trimmers and costs less. Everything about the Shindaiwa T242 is perfect (for me) TONS of power, sips gas, very well balanced and so quiet! Oh and that speed feed head ... So Fun awesome! Best of all no vibration period, excellent isolation doesn't wear me out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2014, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have posted before that I like the Husky trimmers enough that I do not need to look at other brands. I used my first 223 for six years and then bought another 223. I have a 326 for a backup and heavier trimming. I repaired the recoil on the first 223 and gave it to my son. He thinks he is a pro trimmer now. I just think this trimmer is great for the price.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileyLC View Post
Have had husqvarna, stihl.. Now all I have and use is Shindaiwa! That half ass 2 stroke/4 cycle crap stihl uses now is god awful my T242 shindy has more balls then the fs90s and starts in 1-2 pulls not 150, for the money husqy 223 is a nice machine just to much vibration for me I still keep it around tho beats the stihl trimmers and costs less. Everything about the Shindaiwa T242 is perfect (for me) TONS of power, sips gas, very well balanced and so quiet! Oh and that speed feed head ... So Fun awesome! Best of all no vibration period, excellent isolation doesn't wear me out.
Posted via Mobile Device
^ all of this
Old 07-23-2014, 02:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
You'll have to look long and hard to even come close to finding a better trimmer for any price than the Husky 323L.

I own a 223L and run it as my main trimmer, but I also have a FS90R and FS250R so it's not a brand loyalty thing for me. The 323 is the same weight as the 223 (9lbs) but has 20% more power and a solid drive shaft.
Where Do You Buy Your Husky Equipment?