Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2014, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewG View Post
Bought this 2005 backhoe on Monday and hired a my local CASE dealer to haul it as they have a fleet of Kenworths and lowboys, It was delivered this past Wednesday, quickly and on time.

It came from near Philly PA up the PA Turnpike to my building, its about a 1.75 hour trip.

Long story short the window blew open (I assume) and crashed into the other big window, destroying them. The seals and door hardware was lost on the turnpike, driver says he didn't know this happened until he arrived to unload the machine. (Says the salesman)

I didnt meet the driver, they just dropped it off, but this time, it was left on the side of the road, not up my short dirt driveway as they have done in the past and as I instructed to do so. (you can see the driveway in the picture)

I called the company, and the salesman told me "there was nothing they could do" and that "these things happen"

I got loud very quickly then he told me to "get a parts estimate and call him Monday"

Its about $800 in parts, what does everyone think???

Please chime in, who should pay for the damage?
Did the driver admit to it happening during delivery? If you took a load without being present, it's really your word against his.

Obviously if you were there to sign off on the delivery or refuse it due to damage then you're good to get the money to have it fixed or make them fix it. Since the driver just dropped it, they could claim no damage and say someone else did the damage on your lot. Hard to say man.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2014, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I bet you he dropped it at your driveway to avoid seeing you.

Can't believe y'all saying driver isn't responsible
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm just telling you how it should have been done, paperwork wise. Without those little papers, not much to go on.

Now, it's just two people trying not to take a loss. The buyer should have used a Regulated Carrier. Maybe he did. He said the local Case guy. That doesn't tell us anything. No documentation of condition at loading, with a signature. No documentation at unloading, with a signature. I did this stuff for 10 years.

That's how it is. And the original poster has not weighed in on this, at all. We might never find out what happened.

I hauled a car from New Jersey to South Dakota one winter. A chunk of ice flew off the roof of my truck. A big piece. It did a lot of damage to the last car on the trailer. I was still in PA when this happened. I called the Broker on the load and told him what happened. He told the dealer. I tried to buy the car. The dealer needed it and would repair it. Including a torn Convertible roof. No problem at delivery. I wrote him a check for the cost to repair the car and sent it along to my insurance company. They sent me a check, less the deductible for the claim. Now, all the paperwork was correct on this. And I didn't have to pay for the cracked windshield, because I noted it on my inspection report/bill of lading, when it was loaded.

There are ways to do this and there are ways to do it wrong. That's what I'm saying. And maybe the latch on the door is screwed up and although it was shut tight when loaded, a bump in the road opened the latch and let it bang around.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Without a signed delivery receipt, with the shippers and purchasers signatures with a damage report, the op may be screwed.

The shipper or seller may make good on it, and may not.

I will say it looks like a real nice backhoe.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello,

NO paperwork was signed, I call they haul. (I have used them before) , nobody needed or was present for delivery. They are CASE dealer, professional multi-state company. http://powercoinc.net/

Thankfully after a long weekend to settle down, its taken care of. They are paying for it all. I will do the repairs and installation of new glass, seals, locks etc. The case dealer is ordering what they can, the rest will come right from my local NH dealer and they will credit card pay for it.

We vacuumed and cleaned the cab yesterday when I got home from the Beach. Its amazing how hard that glass must have exploded, as microscopic pieces of glass were/are stuck in the plastic trim and steering wheel on the left side.

I will give a final update when its all installed and fixed, because as you know; its not fixed until its fixed. $835 for all parts. Retail pricing

Matt

Last edited by MatthewG; 07-07-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

It's a sad story, but both you and the carrier worked it out, and that's good.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythons37 View Post
It's a sad story, but both you and the carrier worked it out, and that's good.
Its still an inconvenience to me, I have to travel, waste my fuel to pick up parts. NH and Case are both 30-45 min away.

Also the machine is outside with a huge blue tarp over it, to keep the monsoon rain out of the cab, oh well
Old 07-08-2014, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Heck that kind of stuff is a normal day for me, doesn't mean that I like it.

Congrats on the backhoe.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Well Humpty Dumpty is back together again, it gave me a chance to do a complete interior cleaning. 1/2" of dirt caked under the floor mats and dust out the wazoo. Now it needs a pressure wash and some touch up paint and we are off to the races.....
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2014, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure the nitrogen cylinder is in good shape and that the door closes properly or the same thing will happen when YOU lowbed it. What happens is operators move around a jobsite with the door open and the cylinder gets damaged or ripped off when they inevitably hit something. So it doesn't close properly, backhoe gets loaded, guy doesn't slam the door hard enough or maybe it didn't close anymore anyway, and it flies open at 60 mph. Glass everywhere.