Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2014, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

If yo have reeally crappy, sandy soil like me, an app or two of0-0-28 lesco blend willtoughen grass from fungus or traffic. Billbugs, so I hsve been told, are the worst pest here. I did get nailed by worms last year though. I have found pottasium and manganes will prevent an cure fungal disease in turf along with less water. I have been told k leaches faster in our soil than anything .
Old 07-07-2014, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

That's not fungus, that grass stressing. I have no idea why it's stressed from that picture could be Compaction, heat, water, lack of water, lack of nutrients
Old 07-07-2014, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some great post above and very insightful and helpful. Skipster, I spent weeks and weeks reading on diseases last year when I had the issue, and was pretty sure I was seeing Grey Leaf Spot. Could I be wrong? Sure, but from everything I read and studied that was the closest thing I could identify it with. I had had that issue last year when I in August when it was 105-110+ temps. and water was being applied. I was seeing white/grey irregular patterns on the blades from the tips and down to about middle ways down the blades. If you search my post you will find some information on what I was dealing with. This year it's been coming and going as the heavy rains come and go. Now I have another issue. You are very right about just handling the basics for now and that's what I'm going to stick too.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcl4slc View Post
That's not fungus, that grass stressing. I have no idea why it's stressed from that picture could be Compaction, heat, water, lack of water, lack of nutrients

Someone asked about the grass or soil. The grass is Pallisades Zoysia. The soil underneath is not compacted nor very poor. I had poor soil to begin with, but did a lot of work on that soil before planting. The soil was tilled with several inches of loam/compost mixture added before planting. The soil has been aerated this year along with composted twice, so you get the idea? The soil isn't compacted. I got to calculating and I hadn't put out much Phosphorus this year. I did a balanced fertilizer a few days ago with adding more water to the schedule and it appears the grass is doing better within a few days, but yet I can still see the areas with the purple tips. As I said, the Zoysia looks like it's churning over to Bermuda. It seems to be going from broad leaf, to like stringy blades in those areas.

You mentioned the grass is stressing? It's been extremely, EXTREMELY dry here. We're under drought restrictions and they are being SEVERELY enforced. The city trucks are driving around in full force from sun-up to dark, even seen them out on Sundays for the past several weeks. I cut back on the watering from twice a week to once a week. Now I'm headed back to twice a week to see if that helps.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Dont know how long it has been since you fertlized/apllied iron, I woul give it 3-4 weeks afer fert app an apply lesco 9-0-24 mix. Four tenths of a pound of nitrogen and one pound of k. I think the n source is 60-70 percent slow release. If they are restricting water use, just do two n apps per season, maybe a little iron in between for color. I started using lescos greens grade 13-2-13 on a centipede lawn mid june, at the .5 pound n/1000 rate and so far very happy. I will use the greens grade blend at one pound of n/k on my zoysia lawns for their aug app. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
Someone asked about the grass or soil. The grass is Pallisades Zoysia. The soil underneath is not compacted nor very poor. I had poor soil to begin with, but did a lot of work on that soil before planting. The soil was tilled with several inches of loam/compost mixture added before planting. The soil has been aerated this year along with composted twice, so you get the idea? The soil isn't compacted. I got to calculating and I hadn't put out much Phosphorus this year. I did a balanced fertilizer a few days ago with adding more water to the schedule and it appears the grass is doing better within a few days, but yet I can still see the areas with the purple tips. As I said, the Zoysia looks like it's churning over to Bermuda. It seems to be going from broad leaf, to like stringy blades in those areas.

You mentioned the grass is stressing? It's been extremely, EXTREMELY dry here. We're under drought restrictions and they are being SEVERELY enforced. The city trucks are driving around in full force from sun-up to dark, even seen them out on Sundays for the past several weeks. I cut back on the watering from twice a week to once a week. Now I'm headed back to twice a week to see if that helps.
An observation from my area: zoysia did better than bermuda when we had constant cloud cover and weekly thunderstorms. Under dry conditions, the zoysia is finicky. Bermuda is the champ in dry conditions.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-08-2014, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
An observation from my area: zoysia did better than bermuda when we had constant cloud cover and weekly thunderstorms. Under dry conditions, the zoysia is finicky. Bermuda is the champ in dry conditions.

Not just an observation from your area, but that's how it goes here with our lawn as well. During a few days of cloudy or partly cloudy it does excellent. (WHEN) we get thunderstorms it looks terrific. I remember the same thing late last August or September, we were in a bad drought the first few months of having the Zoysia. When ever we got thunder-storms it perked up and looked excellent. As far as Bermuda flourishing in dry conditions. I agree to a certain degree. I see many Bermuda lawns gone down the drain here while others our looking better then ever. Possibly because their getting irrigated, fertilized, and cut properly. I see Bermuda lawns that are cut every two weeks and they look like crap because the owners want to be cheap. They want it cut every two weeks then want it cut down at the (short) height because they have Bermuda. You know how fast Bermuda grows and gets stringy when it's growing fast. Fast forward two weeks when it's long and stringy, then they want all of it cut back down to nothing. So you get the point why some of the Bermuda's look like crap, while others are doing nicely. I feel stupid when I tell people my lawn gets cut every 3 days, four days max.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds912 View Post
Dont know how long it has been since you fertlized/apllied iron, I woul give it 3-4 weeks afer fert app an apply lesco 9-0-24 mix. Four tenths of a pound of nitrogen and one pound of k. I think the n source is 60-70 percent slow release. If they are restricting water use, just do two n apps per season, maybe a little iron in between for color. I started using lescos greens grade 13-2-13 on a centipede lawn mid june, at the .5 pound n/1000 rate and so far very happy. I will use the greens grade blend at one pound of n/k on my zoysia lawns for their aug app. Good luck.

I haven't seen the Lesco's "green grade." Where are you finding this, JDL? I'll check it out. You mentioned .50N apps, are you spoon feeding monthly or doing it a few times a season? I think another soil test would do me a world of good, I just hate having to wait three weeks to see what's going on.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
Not just an observation from your area, but that's how it goes here with our lawn as well. During a few days of cloudy or partly cloudy it does excellent. (WHEN) we get thunderstorms it looks terrific. I remember the same thing late last August or September, we were in a bad drought the first few months of having the Zoysia. When ever we got thunder-storms it perked up and looked excellent. As far as Bermuda flourishing in dry conditions. I agree to a certain degree. I see many Bermuda lawns gone down the drain here while others our looking better then ever. Possibly because their getting irrigated, fertilized, and cut properly. I see Bermuda lawns that are cut every two weeks and they look like crap because the owners want to be cheap. They want it cut every two weeks then want it cut down at the (short) height because they have Bermuda. You know how fast Bermuda grows and gets stringy when it's growing fast. Fast forward two weeks when it's long and stringy, then they want all of it cut back down to nothing. So you get the point why some of the Bermuda's look like crap, while others are doing nicely. I feel stupid when I tell people my lawn gets cut every 3 days, four days max.
The cut every two weeks or twice a month is a majority of the reason why bermuda does not look good. Water and fertilizer play a smaller part. I have one customer that mows their own bermuda with a gang reel every 2-3 days. Fertilization and weed control on my part has the lawn looking more like golf grass than a regular lawn. It is a big fight for me when the norm in my area is a twice a month or less frequent mowing. This is on zoysia and bermuda.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Only other way to keep a twice a month lawn is with the 150% rate of Primo Maxx.