Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 07-04-2014, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Instructions for replacing deck belt on Super Z

I have a 2007 Super Z with 60" XR7 deck and I need to replace the deck belt. The belt has never been replaced and is now showing signs of severe wear. I have purchased a replacement belt but before I go ahead and attempt to change it, I want to make sure I do it right. I have the belt diagram but the manual doesn't say how to go about changing the belt (what steps in what order). Can someone share with me the correct step-by-step procedure for replacing the deck belt? Thanks in advance for any-and-all assistance...
Old 07-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Sponsor

If you go to our website at hustlerturf.com on the bottom of the page is a link to manuals. Find your model number and download the manuals. You'll see how to change the belt and adjust it. Keep in mind you'll need to re adjust the belt after a couple of mowings. New belts stretch when first installed.

Brian O
Old 07-08-2014, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustlermidwest View Post
If you go to our website at hustlerturf.com on the bottom of the page is a link to manuals. Find your model number and download the manuals. You'll see how to change the belt and adjust it. Keep in mind you'll need to re adjust the belt after a couple of mowings. New belts stretch when first installed.

Brian O
This is a prime example of how things are different for people...I've owned 6 Hustler Super Z mowers since 2004, and never once have I found the need to adjust a deck belt at any time. I've had a stick damage a deck belt of which I replaced, and have replaced maybe 4 hydraulic belts of which the deck belt must be freed to change, but not once have I ever found the need to tighten a deck belt. Evidently my deck belt tensioner spring mechanism has done an extremely good job.

To reiterate, when I did the complete restore on my 2006 Hustler Super Z in the later part of the cutting season in 2012, I replaced everything, including all belts, hoses and wiring. This mower now has 160 hrs. since the rebuilt and the deck belt has never been touched, and if I tried to tighten the belt, I may possibly gain one more link on the adjusting chain, and then again, I may not.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Sponsor

Puppy,
Measure the deck belt idler spring. See if it falls in line with our specs. Keep it's length within our specs and you'll get even longer life.

Brian O
Old 07-08-2014, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustlermidwest View Post
Puppy,
Measure the deck belt idler spring. See if it falls in line with our specs. Keep it's length within our specs and you'll get even longer life.

Brian O
I've got a method, and if I've never had one seconds problem in thousands of hours except for one stick causing minor damage, I'm assuming it works. Anytime I need to loosen a deck belt to replace a hydraulic belt; when I tension the deck belt I take Vice-Grip pliers and pull the spring to it furthest point my strength will allow and insert that link into it's lock point.

My strength must be pretty well calibrated, the specs call for 9.3" to 10.3" and both my mowers (66" & 72") measure exactly 9.5".