Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-08-2014, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check out master locks for trucks, they have a security solutions for pick up beds.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerMan2003 View Post
I'm not sure if this is in the right forum. Please feel free to move if not.

I started being more careful with my equipment after stopping at a hardware store for about 15 minutes with 2 commercial trimmers in the back of my truck. I came back and they were both gone; the worst thing was that one of them was almost brand new.

I wish I could say I haven't had anything else stolen, but at least after that I started taking a few steps to secure equipment, especially handheld equipment. When I go to the back yard I take everything with me, so that I can see it at all times. This is probably the most important of the steps I now take, however, I like to secure it in the truck, in case I do need to leave the truck unattended for a few minutes. I don't have a trailer or toolbox, so I need to use either cables or chains.

I had a bicycle cable for a while. I finally noticed it was rusted through the other day. Somebody could have easily broken it and taken my stuff. So I bought another bicycle lock cable. The problem is it doesn't fit through the little brackets under my bed liner, because the loops at the end are too large. It seems most bike locks I have looked at are a similar design.
Also, they usually only come in 6 foot lengths; I would really like something longer to go through the mower too. I considered a chain for this reason, but are chains easier to cut?
What man can make, man can break.

Your best bet would be to use TWO of whatever you decide to use with two independent locking mechanisms. Therefore, it will take thieves twice as long to steal and they might give up after finding out that defeating one protection wasn't enough.

The best protection is layered levels of protection. Putting all your eggs in one basket isn't good enough.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I thought about using 2 cables for the reason mentioned above. Because I am a little paranoid. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2014, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerMan2003 View Post
I thought about using 2 cables for the reason mentioned above. Because I am a little paranoid. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
It has nothing to do with paranoia.

Two independent systems of protection is twice as efficient as a single system of protection.

The goal of any security system is to delay thieves. Absolutely NO system is 100% efficient at preventing theft. The idea is to make it as difficult, as unpleasant and as time-consuming as possible.

What you do is put the odds in your favor.

Ideally, using two different systems of protection would be superior to using the same one twice. And keep in mind that your protection is only as good as the weakest link in your setup.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre2013 View Post

Two independent systems of protection is twice as efficient as a single system of protection.

The goal of any security system is to delay thieves. Absolutely NO system is 100% efficient at preventing theft. The idea is to make it as difficult, as unpleasant and as time-consuming as possible.

Ideally, using two different systems of protection would be superior to using the same one twice. And keep in mind that your protection is only as good as the weakest link in your setup.

I simply use locking racks when out in route mowing and have never had an issue. Now for the house I have a sophisticated layer of protection. It may not be fool proof, but it's dummy proof.

On the garage door (inside kitchen garage door) I have two double sided key dead-bolts. You have to have a key for both dead-bolts to open the door from either side. One lock at the upper area one in the lower area. The garage door? I don't trust locking garage doors. I simply installed to slide locks that slide from the inside, the only way that garage door is coming open is if it's unlocked from the inside or ran through with a car. Security cameras with wireless phone access watch over my drive-way and back gate along with driveway sensors that beep if someone walks into the drive-way. On top of all this, my truck and trailer get backed up all the way to the garage door within inches of the garage door so the mowers won't fit out of there without stealing the truck. Wives car gets parked in front of mine backed up. So to get in the garage, you have to go past the sensors, past the cameras, (steal) or move the car, then (steal) or move the truck and trailer. Then you have to defeat the garage door bolted from the inside. After it's all said and done you have to get past the German Shepards that await and are not friendly of strangers coming in momma and daddy's home.

(I took the Praying For Rain out of my signature, due to my hypothesis that it has been a jinx on Central Texas.) Now here comes the rain.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If your still set on cable and chains in the truck, look into something like a Grade 80 square link chain. I've seen square link chains that are thick enough small bolt cutters aren't going to cut through them and big bolt cutters won't fit through the links. They have some tough chains out there, while they might not be thieve proof, if it slows them down and prevents a grab and go, chances are you'll be okay. All thieves have wireless grinders now days. Tie some rope in crazy knot's. Thieves carry angle grinders, but their usually not prepared with a knife I would say. ;

(I took the Praying For Rain out of my signature, due to my hypothesis that it has been a jinx on Central Texas.) Now here comes the rain.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I use Trinity Iron locking trimmer racks, and a Greentouch Xtreme blower rack. They're both fairly secure, and offer me quick access to my equipment. You could buy them both for a bit less than the cost of a commercial trimmer. I used to cable everything to the trailer, but that got to be inconvenient.

[size=1]Posted via Mobile Device[/
I didn't read to where you said you didn't have a trailer. Sorry for the useless post. I should've read to the bottom. However , Greentouch does offer an adapter to mount the blower rack to your pickup.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefcam864 View Post
I use Trinity Iron locking trimmer racks, and a Greentouch Xtreme blower rack. They're both fairly secure, and offer me quick access to my equipment. You could buy them both for a bit less than the cost of a commercial trimmer. I used to cable everything to the trailer, but that got to be inconvenient.

[size=1]Posted via Mobile Device[/
I didn't read to where you said you didn't have a trailer. Sorry for the useless post. I should've read to the bottom. However , Greentouch does offer an adapter to mount the blower rack to your pickup.

My trimmer racks are mounted on my truck. I started out with a cable, but as you mentioned it was so much more of an inconvenience. I can pop a lock, let the clasp fall, and grab my trimmer much faster then I could put the tail-gate down, deal with a cable all the time, and so forth. Not to mention, I feel much more organized.

Now that I got a bigger trailer I'm about to put racks on the trailer. I also like the Trinity Iron racks. They seem WELL built, not to mention their built here in Texas. My question for you is what is that black piece at the bottom of your trimmer racks? Did you put an extension and weld something? I thought they bolted all the way down directly to the rail of the trailer or the bottom of the trailer depending on which you got? I think I'm going to go with the 52" EXD, it's only $4.00 more and bolts down to the bed of the trailer and also to the rail and mid-ways so I feel it will be more "secure."

Old 07-11-2014, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
If your still set on cable and chains in the truck, look into something like a Grade 80 square link chain. I've seen square link chains that are thick enough small bolt cutters aren't going to cut through them and big bolt cutters won't fit through the links. They have some tough chains out there, while they might not be thieve proof, if it slows them down and prevents a grab and go, chances are you'll be okay. All thieves have wireless grinders now days. Tie some rope in crazy knot's. Thieves carry angle grinders, but their usually not prepared with a knife I would say. ;
If a grinder can cut through metal, do you think it really won't slice a rope?

Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2014, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre2013 View Post

2 are more effective, I agree...when denied, they damage your gear out of spite. I just don't want anyone walking away easily with my stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device