Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-08-2014, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

used truck warranty scuffle

I am just about to start researching this debacle. Figured I'd post the situation here too. Bought a truck from a used car dealer in Massachusetts. I live in CT. Had my mechanic check it when I got home. He found several safety issues. The dealer said to register it and have an official inspection. I spoke with the dmv. They don't do safety inspections for vehicles under 18k lbs. Since the truck is used commercially, I'm required to have an annual safety inspection done. This is done through an independent and certified repair shop. I did not register it. I did have the safety inspection which resulted with a fail.

I trailered the truck back to the dealership and he wouldn't honor report results. Told me I had to register it and get an official failed inspection. He said he would then contest it with the state registry. Yeah yeah yeah, he doesn't want to fix it, I get that. The truck has a 30 day warranty which has 10 days left. I will talk to the dmv again in the morning and see where that leads.

I think part of the problem is that my state doesn't require safety inspections to register but I'm required to do annual inspections through the fmcsa, a federal institution, but is enforced by state dmv (d.o.t.) officers. And the inspections are done by third party repair shops. Ugh, this is going to get ugly. I foresee my attorney getting involved if the dealer doesn't work with me. Thoughts?
61" Wright zk
ASV SR 70
Takeuchi 135
Kubota 7610 40" rotadarion
20' enclosed 10k lawncare trailer
18' aluminum 12k equipment trailer
35hp Giant Vac leaf loader
Old 07-08-2014, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of work does it need
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2014, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

According to official fmcsa form 49 cfr part 396-e brake inoperable, front and rear shocks need replace, rotors have uneven wear, power steering box leaks, fuel tank porous, u bolts loose, diff seal leaks, right rear frame cross member broken, radiator support bracket l rusted through.
61" Wright zk
ASV SR 70
Takeuchi 135
Old 07-08-2014, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven1277 View Post
According to official fmcsa form 49 cfr part 396-e brake inoperable, front and rear shocks need replace, rotors have uneven wear, power steering box leaks, fuel tank porous, u bolts loose, diff seal leaks, right rear frame cross member broken, radiator support bracket l rusted through.
What truck how many miles and what'd you pay

You're looking at ALOT of money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2014, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Did you buy the truck at auction or something? You could see half that stuff without even trying
Old 07-08-2014, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm beginning to think I could have a good side gig buying southern trucks and marketing them to my Lawnsite friends up in the rust belt. Your truck sounds like is way past being a good reliable work truck, I hate this happened to you.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wiffy, the specific details of the truck are inconsequential to this discussion. The fact is that the dealer sold me a vehicle that needs repairs to make it road safe and legal. I went through the proper channels in my state to have it inspected and documented. Now the dealer doesn't want to repair it.

Allday, because I bought it out of state, my mechanic wasn't able to see it till I got it home. Unfortunately, vehicle repair is not one of my strengths. I have plenty, this is not one. With that said, I still have a vehicle under warranty that is documented as needing repair and the repair facility is bucking.

sehitchman, I did start searching for trucks down south through Autotrader. It took me nearly a year to find this truck. The dealer assured me there was minimal rust. I do have their email correspondence stating that.

The truck, 02 Chevy 2500 extended cab, short bed, duramax, auto, 4wd, 106,000 miles. Paid $11k
61" Wright zk
ASV SR 70
Takeuchi 135
Old 07-08-2014, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think I'd lawyer up real quick and demand my money back or a repair. This needs to be documented quickly before the 30 days is up. Also, around here the used car stores open and close very frequently and if this place closes or takes six months promising a repair, you are without a truck or your money for a long time. It may be time to park it out front of his lot with a big sign " Talk to me before you buy a vehicle here" across the side of yout truck.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think he took you for a ride regardless of vehicle condition or youre the king of wishful thinking. Maybe both. 12 year old truck with over 100k, youre not mechanically inclined but bought the truck anyway.

Call the lawyers i guess. He told you to register it but you wont?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My hesitation with registering it before the repairs are complete is because of the out of state title. It will take weeks for me to receive a title from CT. If it was decided that the dealer would take the truck back, I wouldn't want to wait to get the title from CT. Right now the title is still in MA. If I don't have any results tomorrow, I will talk to my attorney. Thanks for your help.
Attached Images

61" Wright zk
ASV SR 70
Takeuchi 135