Register free!

Old 07-08-2014, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
I know.

When it comes to steps - guys dabbling in hardscapes never seem to be able to understand building codes and liability - which all is part of professionalism.

If you're going to build steps - then you need handrails.

If a visitor falls down those steps with no handrails - the owner if the house and the contractor can be sued.

If you're going to post pics of steps - then either post pics of your steps with handrails or write something's saying "these pics have no hand rails, but they have since been installed".

Last week my kid's trainer said "if you want to be a pro you need to look like a pro". Same applies to business, if you want to be a pro, then do work like a pro. This means you
Follow local building codes, and when posting on the www you mentor others to follow building codes.

Following building codes is how I make my sales. I know that most other guys won't install handrails. So i tell a prospective client "county code requires a handrail, if
You're getting other quotes it's likely that the other contractors will try to side step this". Because of me
Being transparent - I win the job. Nothing is handed to you - you earn it.

Today an inspector came to our job in Dunn Loring Va, as I scheduled an inspection. I said to him "do you have many people Pull a permit for this type of work?" He replied "I don't think I've done any of these inspections since I last saw you".

Not doing work to code can also prevent a home from being sold.

My apologies if this offends anyone and the moderator. If you're new to building steps - then you're most likely not aware of the building codes. Very important. The only way you can be a pro is by working like a pro.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm not a business owner. I build what is on the plan. Answer the Ops question? Or did you miss place your graph paper? And you can't think on the fly?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2014, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for info
Old 07-08-2014, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-mans Hardscapes View Post
You would want to start your block 45" down from threshold. The first step is always 9". You make it a 6" step by either adding pavers up to it or adding dirt. Whatever the case. If I'm not mistaken versalok caps are 13" deep and the block is 12. So figure 36" for your landing and 5' for your steps. First step should start 8' out from house. This math is all in my head but I think it's right. We always glue and hammer drill the blocks that are being buried in the steps. Versalok steps are easy to build. A block splitter is a must.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank u very much for ur advice what do u use for railing and do u core drill them
Old 07-08-2014, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

We sub out all fences and railings to a friend of the company. I'm not going to sit here and say that every set of steps has railings. That's between the homeowner and our business owner. Dvs just has to try and one up everyone. That's fine tho. I will take it as a compliment. Seeing as he quickly got off topic into what makes Him the Best stair builder to ever exist.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2014, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Weird!!

Remember guys. If you want to be a pro. You need to look like a pro.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2014, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Crickets, crickets
Old 07-08-2014, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Weird!!

Posted via Mobile Device
What you need to realize is that, that job is on my website. I'm not posting that pic on an industry forum to guide others.

See, I've made every mistake a man can make in this industry. And nearly all of my posts, I share my mistakes. My entire program here at Lawnsite is based on my experiences, I've made mistakes in construction, finances, sales, vendor relations, etc, and I most of my writing here talks about that. I have probably at least 25 pictures on our website of work that was done lone before I even knew what a permit and inspection office was. When the day comes that we build a new website - I still won't take the pictures down, they will stay, as I'm marketing. On lawnsite.com I'm not marketing, I'm sharing, I'm guiding, I'm coaching

Ernesto - lets keep the topic limited to the forum. Apples to Oranges comparison

With a forum, people come here to learn. This is a forum. It's my duty as a professional to guide people the right way.

And Ernesto - if your boss isn't willing to operate his/her company in an ethical manner and follow local building codes - then you should try to open his/her eyes to the liability affiliated with not following building codes. Let him/her know that following building codes will actually play a role in closing more sales.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 07-08-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Instead of coming off so conceited. "To be a pro you have to look like a pro" why don't you say, " you know guys I have made every mistake in the book and looking back on everything I wish I would have done things differently. So why don't you take my advice and try not to make the same mistakes". Be a professional and show these people that look up to you that your not so stuck up and perfect. Ernesto? Nice juke!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2014, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

So why dont those steps have rails?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
We sub out all fences and railings to a friend of the company. I'm not going to sit here and say that every set of steps has railings. That's between the homeowner and our business owner. Dvs just has to try and one up everyone. That's fine tho. I will take it as a compliment. Seeing as he quickly got off topic into what makes Him the Best stair builder to ever exist.
Posted via Mobile Device
Work looks great I really don't like rails on versa lok stairs