Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-08-2014, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my stickers are all made already I've got big enough for my truck window and small enough to stick on equipment...

2008 Gmc Sierra
2014 Kubota z122 48 in hydrostat mower
2014 tophat 7x14 landscape trailer
fs 90 r trimmer
21 inch troy built self propelled mower
26 in craftsman snowblower
Old 07-08-2014, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok but do they have a call to action on them?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2014, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Ok but do they have a call to action on them?
Posted via Mobile Device
what you mean… right now its just my logo but i have a guy that will make me the rest for just dollars and i just stick the stuff on…. i want it with my logo on top then below have it say landscape maintenance, landscape design, and landscape build or something

2008 Gmc Sierra
fs 90 r trimmer
Old 07-08-2014, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiSantolandscaping View Post
i want it with my logo on top then below have it say landscape maintenance, landscape design, and landscape build or something
?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2014, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have two trimming jobs i got today ones right down the road but the other is about 45 minutes away… the far away one is for a friend I've know for years she's older and needs help so I'm willing to travel plus i can go to the races down there

2008 Gmc Sierra
fs 90 r trimmer
Old 07-08-2014, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiSantolandscaping View Post
not much right now i just bought a new trailer and zero turn plus i work a 48 hour a week job… Im trying to grow enough that if i get the work I'm good but I'm thinking flyers up in stores, and trying to get my Facebook likes spread around so i can get new people to see my work that way as well. I do good work just can't seem to get the chance to show it… the lawns I've got I've had for years now… just figured its time to get this going but i know its the wrong time of the year to really grow. just the phone ringing would be nice
so…you're not full time.

this is why you're not growing.
Your a part timer trying to hold on to job security?

Time to take the nestea plunge.

Or sell out...
Old 07-09-2014, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you work 48hrs a week. so im guessing 6 8hr days. Take into account how much light you have when you get done work in the spring and summer. Theres not a ton of time to mow.

Id say 98% of my customers want their lawn done before the friday at like 6pm so they can have it all weekend. If anything im guessing your days where you could get the most mowing done is Saturday or Sunday.

After mowing im guessing theres not alot of time for mulching and other work. Ive noticed every year people want 1 company for all their landscaping work, maybe minus fert which it seems like you dont have to time to do.

Service area, how far can you really travel to get work done in the spring and fall again with limited daylight after work. You limit they amount of people you can service and who are exposed to your work/advertising, and with a guy who does this full time, his truck/trailer are on the road all day with his logo on it exposing it to potential customers while yours is at your job for 8hrs a day

Efficiency not saying you dont work hard but after working 8hrs at your first job, im guessing your a little tired and your not going to get stuff done as fast as a solo op who only does landscaping most likely.

Breakdowns, i know you just got a new mower and have a nice truck but think if your down for a day or 2 your screwed and people might get pi**ed and look for someone who does it full time.

The last thing ill add, think about when your on your other job, how much are you thinking about ways to expand your business vs doing your job. This being my full time job, i am always thinking of new ways of advertising, areas i want to expand into, getting contact info for commercial clinets, looking at numbers to be more profitable, improving routes and stuff along those lines.

I know part time can be done, its alot harder though and if you would like to expand like TPen said either take the plunge or sell out
Old 07-09-2014, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Member

3 things: truck lettered, got uniforms, and put an ad on the radio. I have more than enough for me and have a part-timer when I need him.

oh yah, and I quit my full-time job to mow lawns.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

EDDM has been working great for me. I spent a few hundred and had 5000 made and sent out in the spring. I'm still getting calls from the post cards. Spend 300 and had my truck lettered, nicely. Not just a name and number in block letters. I just bought another mower to keep up with the work and have a helper a couple days a week. I work full time at another job, and cut part time. My area is being built out at a staggering pace with McManasions and a lot of people in the Nat Gas industry are buying or renting these properties. Their work schedule means they have to hire someone to cut their lawn, and their income allows them ability to afford it.

Location is huge. If your in a saturated market, you will need to advertise very aggressively or be stepped on by those who do. Bob at PlanItGraphics made my post cards and they worked very well. I may send more out next year just to churn my customers for better customers, but more importantly to build brand recognition for when I go full time. People are calling me and damn near begging me to add them. But I have to politley refuse as I my route is full and tell them to call me early in the spring to see if anything opens up. The way I see if they want bad enough to nearly beg, and I keep sending out advertisements, it gives the customer the perception of a well respected company that has satisfied clients and build name recognition. Since I am in one area, every day all day, many people see my truck. Some clients have said, "I see you your truck everywhere". In reality, I'm never more than a few miles from home, but my route takes me in to all the neighborhoods everyday so it it always seems like I am working in the area. Even though I only cut a couple hours a day. Most of my clients don't know I'm part time, I don't make it a point to tell them and most don't even ask.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe it's you're location. you said you will get shot if you go door to door so that might have something to do with it. plenty of threads here on advertising and growing your business how to pass out flyers Craigslist etc
Posted via Mobile Device