Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-09-2014, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Feelings/Thoughts on Maruyama

Came across this brand. Know nothing about them and would like some opinions on their stuff. I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly. I work at a skeet and trap place and they have the BL85 blower. The strap system that goes on your back isn't the most comfortable, but overall it seems like a fairly well built machine. Anyone have experience with their equipment? The name sounds Japanese...

Here is their website:
http://maruyama-us.com/

The engine sound reminds me of an Echo engine as far as sound goes. Who knows it could be made in the same factory as Echo's stuff....

Goal is at least 30 regular mowing accounts for 2015!
2011 Ferris 48" Comfort Control DD
2001 Toro 36" Belt Drive
5x12 Carry On Trailer
2001 Ford f-150 XLT
Echo Trimmers
Stihl BR600
Old 07-09-2014, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Suppose to be really good machines they have a 5 year commercial warranty as well been looking at them a bit myself.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 07-09-2014, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think i saw the BL85 at a local dealer...with 760 or so cfm, for $470 brand new. Also with 200 mph. They must have faith in their products if they can put a 5 year commercial warranty.

Goal is at least 30 regular mowing accounts for 2015!
2011 Ferris 48" Comfort Control DD
2001 Toro 36" Belt Drive
5x12 Carry On Trailer
2001 Ford f-150 XLT
Echo Trimmers
Stihl BR600
Old 07-09-2014, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalz View Post
Came across this brand. Know nothing about them and would like some opinions on their stuff. I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly. I work at a skeet and trap place and they have the BL85 blower. The strap system that goes on your back isn't the most comfortable, but overall it seems like a fairly well built machine. Anyone have experience with their equipment? The name sounds Japanese...

Here is their website:
http://maruyama-us.com/

The engine sound reminds me of an Echo engine as far as sound goes. Who knows it could be made in the same factory as Echo's stuff....

Good stuff they make some other things that would be useful like backpack trimmers and they make real good spray equipment. I have a dealer within 30 miles of me again witch is great. Looking into their gas powered backpack sprayer. They make a cart for it. Would help on small jobs weed and fert jobs
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2014, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Their hedge trimmers have/had the best gearcases made. Good engines too. They don't have the massive dealer network as compared to some but their stuff is well made.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have posted this many times before: Maruyama is a specialized manufacturer of sprayer pumps. They make anything from portable to tractor mounted pumps and are considered one of the best at it. If you need a backpack sprayer, Maruyama is king.

It's not a big leap from piston pumps to piston engines which is what Maruyama did some time back. It's something they make on the side, rather than being their core business.

That said Maruyama power equipment is generally high quality but more old-fashioned than the competition. Their AE series engines for instance have earned a solid reputation over the years. They still use Walbro carbs, forged crankshafts, solid driveshafts and alike.

Another area where they're strong is hedge-trimmers, with the exception of the pole units. The steel used for the blades appears high quality indeed, as does the gearbox. That aside, their grass-trimmers are average, with less mainstream stuff like edgers, blowers and a makeshift chainsaw model just lower spec than the competition. Durability on the other hand seems to be very good.

Now the problem: since they don't sell that many sprayer pumps in the US, and don't consider resellers being worth anything, their dealer network is very thin. My dealer actually admitted that Maruyama is stingy with discounts, has next to no parts stock in the US and it's warranty service leaves a lot to be desired. I recall having ordered a throttle cable for my hedgetrimmer only to get it two months after.

The end result is that most existing dealers have: a) either just joined, b) are having issues adapting to their business style, c) are frustrated beyond belief, d) are in the process of leaving or d) have already left but the website still lists them as active resellers.

Since their power equipment isn't a huge seller, they probably can't invest as much in R&D as the competition. Most of their stuff has poorly designed ergonomics, with the vintage straps on their backpacks being a good example.

Now if you value good manufacturing and want a durable machine, Maruyama is the brand for you. If you can't afford downtime, don't like waiting for parts or want a good (long term) dealer, don't even consider it.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 07-09-2014, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm on my second blower from this company. First one lasted 9 years. I got the BL85. It has a little less power than my old one, but no complaints from me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2014, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Member

We have one local dealer that's carried them for years. Parts have never been an issue with his dealership. I'm in the market for a new hedge trimmer and Maruyama is at the top of the list.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I dont know if you want to hear from me or not, beings I'm an equipment dealer.But heres my thoughts on Maruyama. We've handled Maruyama for 7 or 8 years now and have had little to no trouble with them as a company. The only grief we have had was about five years ago, when Maruyama dropped all distributers and went factory direct. Ordering parts was a total joke as the all the parts came from over seas. But since then they have gone back to a disributer base and parts are more readily availble. The product in my mind is the best. To me the company has to believe in their products to put a five year warranty on them Good luck

Toro
Dolmar
Maruyama

Tags
blower , echo , maruyama , thoughts , trimmer