Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-12-2014, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Timemaster #1 is still making that horrible transmission noise - dealer still claims it's nothing to worry about.

Timemaster #2 went down last week. Took it to the dealer and turns out it was the two little plastic teeth on the starter. Dealer fixed it in 15 minutes for me.

All in all I really like these machines - But I don't see why some people say they are underpowered. I took them through some thick stuff and they handled just fine. Front setting on "C" - rear setting on "B" (TRY IT!)

I think the reason why some claim they are underpowered is because they are A) Cutting too short B) Trying to mulch excessive growth and / or C) All of the above.

Both my 30's have plenty of power, but if there was one thing I HATED about these machines it's how much the decks clog up. If there is any kind of moisture these things clog constantly.
Other than that - Really a solid mower. They bag while discharging extremely well and while doing so you can cut excessive growth with ease.

These machines have increased my productivity, reduced fuel consumption, and eliminate the need to double-cut excessive growth - really hard not to love them.

I find myself not using the 36" walk behind at all since I got my 30's. Also the use of a 21" mower has become limited as well.

Good Job Toro!
Old 07-12-2014, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, the grass builds up under the deck a good bit if there's wet grass, or "lush" grass that has it's fill of rainwater.

I guess I don't see it as a big deal because I'm used to much the same thing with my 21" and it's just as easy to deal with - tip it on it's side and scrape.

Some lawns have areas I can scrape and blow into the woods, but if not, I push it onto a burlap tarp to scrape. Either way, it's a thousand times faster/easier than scraping the deck on my walk behind.
The only thing I don't like is trying to keep it from laying "too far" on it's side because it then takes several pulls to start once you flip it back upright.

I'm trying to figure out a way to bolt on a kick stand. No - I'm serious.

More realistically though, I'll soon have a way to keep my scraper ON the mower at all times - no more walking back to the truck, or wandering around looking for a stick!
Old 07-13-2014, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Yes, the grass builds up under the deck a good bit if there's wet grass, or "lush" grass that has it's fill of rainwater.

I guess I don't see it as a big deal because I'm used to much the same thing with my 21" and it's just as easy to deal with - tip it on it's side and scrape.

Some lawns have areas I can scrape and blow into the woods, but if not, I push it onto a burlap tarp to scrape. Either way, it's a thousand times faster/easier than scraping the deck on my walk behind.
The only thing I don't like is trying to keep it from laying "too far" on it's side because it then takes several pulls to start once you flip it back upright.

I'm trying to figure out a way to bolt on a kick stand. No - I'm serious.

More realistically though, I'll soon have a way to keep my scraper ON the mower at all times - no more walking back to the truck, or wandering around looking for a stick!
Have you tried tipping the mower back on on the handle?
Old 07-13-2014, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
Have you tried tipping the mower back on on the handle?

Why didn't I think of that!???

LOL!

Just tried it. Seems to be quick and easy - just fold the handle into the upright, storage position, and tip it back over.
There's a bit of pressure applied to the plastic door on the back, but if you do it on grass I doubt there would be an issue.

Haven't tried starting it after though - it started to rain hard and I ran like a girl into the garage to escape the downpour.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm researching the Timemaster and reading a bunch of the threads on it, I'm just trying to get a solid understanding from you Timemaster using folk, what are the differences between the 'old' Timemaster and the 'new' Timemaster? I understand they've made some changes, I'm just trying to make sure I know and understand them.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Other will surely chime in and correct any misinformation I might give. Some changes include a fuel filter, a little different bag and a baffle under the deck. Some have also commented they thought the newer model may have a bit more power.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
Other will surely chime in and correct any misinformation I might give. Some changes include a fuel filter, a little different bag and a baffle under the deck. Some have also commented they thought the newer model may have a bit more power.
And they now ship with TurfMaster blades. (116-6358)

I can confirm that mine did. You can't see the part number stamped into the blade until you remove them, but I took mine off to put a new set of TurfMaster blades on today and they are identical.

I ordered the blades a few weeks back and the guy at the counter questioned me because he knew I had purchased a TimeMaster - almost as though he wasn't willing to sell me the "wrong blades". I told him that I heard that they now shipped with TurfMaster blades and he replied, "No - that's not true."

Maybe I should show him the photos I just took of the two blades side by side - same number.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I ordered the blades a few weeks back and the guy at the counter questioned me because he knew I had purchased a TimeMaster - almost as though he wasn't willing to sell me the "wrong blades". I told him that I heard that they now shipped with TurfMaster blades and he replied, "No - that's not true."

Maybe I should show him the photos I just took of the two blades side by side - same number.
Yes, you should. Open exchange of information will help the next person that walks into the dealership. Also, I always give performance feedback, so they'll have that to go on, too. If something is crap, I want them to know it, as most never use what they sell.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 07-14-2014, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
And they now ship with TurfMaster blades. (116-6358)

I can confirm that mine did. You can't see the part number stamped into the blade until you remove them, but I took mine off to put a new set of TurfMaster blades on today and they are identical.

Got it, thanks. I seem to remember seeing somewhere that they changed the dimensions or construction of the wheels or something as well. Glad to hear it's going well with them.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Why didn't I think of that!???

LOL!

Just tried it. Seems to be quick and easy - just fold the handle into the upright, storage position, and tip it back over.
There's a bit of pressure applied to the plastic door on the back, but if you do it on grass I doubt there would be an issue.

Haven't tried starting it after though - it started to rain hard and I ran like a girl into the garage to escape the downpour.
Maybe we both learned something new - it never occurred to me to adjust the handle so the mower would be more vertical. Thanks for the tip!