Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-12-2014, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
yea of course… thats why manufactures ALWAYS give instructions to install it, in every situation, right?

Or the fact that many types of geotex don't allow water to pass through?

Then the water freezes and causes heaves?

Oh I'm sorry you dint know any of that with your limited experience.

Let's not include your opinion in true or false flexible situations…. hmmm?
My experience is far from limited...that's why I know what types of fabric to use for the application! Fabric is cheap insurance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2014, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That was a little rude, TP.

It's actually true and false. It's true that it's a good idea to use it in every installation, as long as you're using the right kind and if you have clay soils. Then it's a good idea pretty much always. But there are parts of the country (e.g. Arizona) where the caliche soil is so hard that it's basically rock. There's really no concern of heaving or settling at all because it doesn't freeze and the ground doesn't ever move. In those areas I know it's fairly standard to skip the fabric. And I probably would too.

But I think in a lot of places in our country, it's better to use it than not to in almost every case. Just as long as your using the right kind.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 07-12-2014, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagrider22 View Post
My experience is far from limited...that's why I know what types of fabric to use for the application! Fabric is cheap insurance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Based on the question posted do you feel the OP has the same level of understanding?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2014, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
That was a little rude, TP.

It's actually true and false. It's true that it's a good idea to use it in every installation, as long as you're using the right kind and if you have clay soils. Then it's a good idea pretty much always. But there are parts of the country (e.g. Arizona) where the caliche soil is so hard that it's basically rock. There's really no concern of heaving or settling at all because it doesn't freeze and the ground doesn't ever move. In those areas I know it's fairly standard to skip the fabric. And I probably would too.

But I think in a lot of places in our country, it's better to use it than not to in almost every case. Just as long as your using the right kind.
It was rude to respond to my post of "depending on subsoils the geotex isn't always necessary"

with a response like "FALSE!"

as if he had some kind of experience over the course of decades in multiple states, in multiple soil types and different weather patterns that somehow, impossibly trumped mine?

Which he clearly doesn't.

Especially since you just restated exactly what I said with different verbiage.

maybe you should look up a few posts and see how he responded to my post, so eager to shout out his oblivious opinion.