Register free!

Old 07-09-2014, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Are you guys installing these CSV's inside and on systems where the well supplys the whole house also?
I put them as close to the tank as possible unless there's a spigot at the well head. Them I put the CSV on place and move the spigot just downstream. All of the systems that I've installed feed both the house and the irrigation. So far I've never had a complaint.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2014, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
It isn't like the house needs higher pressure than the sprinkler system.

I'm not touting the CSV for now, because there is some presumption that the sprinkler system and well coexisted without any CSV in past years. The pressure switch settings need looked at, because they alone might stop any cycling, if they are adjusted higher.
That's what Im thinking. Turn down the cut on and turn up the cut off. Then renozzle to use 1/2 of what he is using now and slow the cycling down.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
I have a similar problem with a system. It is a 1/3 of an acre property with a 4000 square foot house on it. They have a 1.5 sub that makes about 30 gpm. None of the zones can be built big enough to keep the pump on. I am going to have the well guy pull the pump and install a CSV down the hole.
It'll end the cycling problems effectively. Plus, it also tapers back the pressure wave created when a pump comes on in the first place. Its a win-win for a relatively small expenditure.

And, you're not "building the zones to be big enough" because it'll keep that from happening. There's always one zone that will have a lower amount of heads on it. Sure, "increase the nozzle size" but then your introducing inconsistency in the system. In my view, quarter half and full circle pattern rotors should be consistently use the same in nozzle in the entire yard.

A CSV makes this easily possible in addition to the other benefits: better, more consistent constant pressure zone-by-zone, reduction of initial pressure wave on pump cut-on, elimination of cycling due to low-flow conditions, etc.

Last edited by enorl76; 07-11-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I install CSV's and like them but, I smell a rep.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2014, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I thought the CSV repses lived in Texas.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
I install CSV's and like them but, I smell a rep.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I thought the CSV repses lived in Texas.
Of course ya do. It sounds like a rep when you have a happy customer that has installed one and is advocating its use.

I installed this first one at my parents' house in Deltona FL. They had drip zones that used spray heads in grass areas to get flow up to prevent pump cycling. Now, I can eliminate watering with two totally different sprinkler types (drip,spray) on the same zone by removing the spray heads in the grass that are tied to the drip. These spray heads will run on a separate line now.

I should do a video to show how the pressure behind the CSV runs up to the pump's max PSI (in this case 65 psi) but the pressure in front runs up to the set-point (in my case 45 psi). This is fine because the pump still has flow, so the seals are still being cooled, and we've eliminated the pump cycling because the pressure switch always sees 45 PSI (ie, less than cut-off at 50 PSI) until there's actually no flow.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Since a multi-stage submersible pump can deadhead at hundreds of psi, there is some well-founded theoretical concern about this regulating concept, of course noting that the device construction does not allow for deadheading, but rather allows a minimum flow that is intended to take excess backpressure out of the picture.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, back pressure could well exceed 125 psi. I would never install one without knowing type and condition of piping. They are intended for properly sized pumps and could cause major problems.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, lets be honest, the "max discharge pressure" for a submersible is right at the top of the pump. If that is 125PSI, then 100 ft up will definitely not see 125PSI, but some lesser value related to the 0.433 PSI/ft-head formula instead.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, lets be honest, the pressure is higher below your gauge and if the piping is not up to par it may blow. I'm not sure it's good for the pump either.