Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-12-2014, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Sorry for your lose. I lost my GP's a long time now. Miss them all the time. Miss my parents even more, mom 04, dad 06.

$10,000. You got me beat. Started in middle of May. Brought in the Suburban for inspection, needed rear brakes and what I thought sounded like front brakes was a bad front wheel bearing/hub.

$700-800's later the truck still had a CEI. Evap code. They had to smoke the truck three times before they found the leak. Now it is July 11 and it is going in for a new tank neck on Monday because they were trying to find a good used one. Because they can not just buy the neck. GM only sells the whole assembly now, metal tubes and hoses for $450.

The kicker is when the truck was in for the safety inspection they said they can not fail the truck for rusty brake lines. Though they never saw a truck with lines as rusty as mine that did not burst yet.

$1,200 for new stainless steel lines, parts and labor. Then to do the brakes lines they have to drop the tank and disconnect fuel lines. Problem is the sending units are known to rust very bad and the unit may break. A new sending unit costs $550.

Last night on the news the gov. is pushing GM to make good on rusty brake lines on 1999 to 2003 trucks. Maybe I will get some money back.

I then brought in my TJ LWB in for an inspection three weeks ago. Passed. A week ago I notice a driveline vibration. Rear driveshaft had bad front UV joint. $130 later Wrangler is fixed.

Four weeks ago the dryer broke. Told the wife we have to hold off it is summer use the clothes line.

Two weeks later the washer died. I teased the wife it is summer I'll get you a wash board for that big galvanized tub we have. The look I got.

Last week we buy a new washer and dryer. Washer DOA. They send us a new one. Second washer is DOA.

We tell the store take washer and dryer back and we go pick out another brand washer and dryer. They have to order it and will take a few days to get them in.

A few days ago the toaster oven dies. It also caused the wall receptacle to go bad. I trip that breaker and waiting for the electrician. The receptacle for the washer and dryer is on the same breaker.

The electrician was suppose to show up yesterday and did not.

This spring I bought a new Honda 21" SP. This week the wheels do not free wheel when pulling the mower backwards. So it is in the repair shop.

Stuff happens.

I used to get pissed when something breaks, but I figured getting pissed every 5 minutes was hard on my health.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
I stepped in dog poo again today.
Ever weedeated a bi-weekly and couldn't see it then get face splattered that's one bad way to start the day

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 07-12-2014, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
Anyone ever have this issue? When one thing goes wrong everything goes wrong. If you lose a customer, you lose a group of customers. If it rains, it rains long enough to rain you out. If you get behind, you don't get behind one lawn, you get behind 20 lawns. If a mower breaks, you fix it and something else breaks. It's just been one of those weeks and I'm ranting.
After about 1300 hours I was working on my gravely everyday after working all day fixing broke parts I literally have a mass supply of everything on that mower because everything keeps breaking. Not even used it yet since I got new seals on it lol. Should have about 80% new hardware all grade 8 stuff for bolts, washers and nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
Funny timing. I just put a new set on mine Monday. It's been about three days and missing chunks out of them on a new yard already. Luckily it started raining hard enough today I got to take a trip to the dealership. Went ahead and bought three sets of the commercial Turfmaster blades today. We'll see how long they last and I pray I don't hit nothing for a while with these.

You should of checked ebay first you would of saved at least 60% in cost from buying them at dealer.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 07-12-2014, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Stuff happens.

I used to get pissed when something breaks, but I figured getting pissed every 5 minutes was hard on my health.
Exactly. Though never had so much go wrong so close together before.

Though I have been letting it roll of my back.

Thing is I bought a new Sthil FS90R, and a JD 36" WB this spring with a mulch kit and a bag for leaves in the fall. Had to borrow the $4,250 from my son to pay for it. Told him I would pay him in one full payment back by Memorial Day, then Fourth of July, now Labor Day. Though I think I will pay him August 11 on his birthday.

Still do not have a full time schedule though I am having my best year and much better then last year. Though every time I am about $100-200 away from having the money to pay my son. Bam we're getting hit with another major bill.

Thank God the tires just passed inspection on the Suburban. I got me 12 months to save up and replace the racing slicks that are on the Suburban now.

Last edited by 32vld; 07-12-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGLN View Post
I shouldn't have read this thread. Now I'm feeling paranoid something bad is due.
YEAH SAME HERE
Old 07-13-2014, 03:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Makes my off day cutting grass look not so bad. I use mostly old stuff I bought off my last LCO. Walk behind, Redmax/stihl trimmers, stihl blower, etc.

Drug war veteran

From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli
Old 07-14-2014, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Unbelievable but true: 28th of May 2014, okay here it goes.
6 30am start;
1st: 7am. Beavertail truck head goes in engine,I have to come back from other job (driving Toyota 4x4 (Tacoma) and 16' trailer) and drop it back to warehouse, pick up back up truck then drive to first breakdown.
2nd: When getting taxi back to warehouse I get news that a company that we did landscpaing for has gone bang, I won't be getting the €18k for the job.
3rd: Get back to warehouse and Toyota won't start (do get it going eventually)
4th: Heading back out I nip into spraying job, the muppet puts round-up in sprayer instead of lawn week killer!
5th: I head to my original job, go to pick up turf cutter from large country house on way back I hired out, owner drives out ahead of me, I stop to take a call, when I get to the exit I am locked in behind massive gates. I go to ring buzzer and see two evil guard dogs running for me.
6th:I get back into the Toyota and wait and wait and two and a half hours later get out but only after I had to take a leak in a plastic bag, which transpired had a hole in it. Meanwhile dogs are on the bonnet trying to eat me alive. I thought they were crazy till I tried to empty the contents of the bag through the window,no luck in my panic the contents spill all over me. Toyota now has 1 million scratches.
7th: Get back to warehouse put Toyota and trailer back in side. Park my personal hilux (different one to previous mentioned) outside when a friend pulls up, "God man you look like you are having a bad day" while standing to the rear, a car drives head on into the front of my Hilux!!!! While lying under the back I just laugh, like how bad can one day be?
8th: I get home at 9 30pm, have a nice day? No, shower & bed. Oh btw there is no hot water!@#!@.

I posted this already, by far it was the worst day in my professional career. I have added up the total cost as follows. New head on truck & repairs €4k, New Nissan NV400 vans €25k, repairs to lawns €15k, loss of earnings €20k, Non payment of account €18k.

Next year and every year after I am taking the 28th of May off.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You need to break it down for the yanks here. A muppet is a dumazz and the bonnet is the truck hood. I have no idea what todays pound conversion rate is.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2014, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
You need to break it down for the yanks here. A muppet is a dumazz and the bonnet is the truck hood. I have no idea what todays pound conversion rate is.
Posted via Mobile Device
€ = Euro that is the currency of the European Union. 1 Euro is $1.36 U.S Dollars.
£ is the symbol for pound usually accociated with the British pound sterling £1.00 is $1.71 U.S dollars.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2014, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Well another thing happened... Last week my truck tire got a nail and i had to get it patched... Today i backed the trailer over one of those spiked rakes for seeding yards and now it had a flat tire... Hopefully they can patch this one too... For some reason "nobody" left the rake laying there lol
Posted via Mobile Device