Register free!

Old 07-15-2014, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Core Aeration - Lawn Changed Colors?

Can anyone explain what just happen? Yes sir, I said it.

So after discovering my soil was heavily compacted, I should have took hint when the Spring rains came and the water stood in water even though I aerated earlier in the year. Our soil is very, very poor and needs major work. When we moved in, I'm sure some of you have seen the pictures, our soil was hard as a brick, with literally bricks under the soil. Nothing, but crab-grass, not a strand or blade of grass in sight. So it seems the summer, heat, and months of no rain, 45% less rain-fall then previous years dried our soil out and compacted it again, or was it me playing with the new walk behinds that compacted it?

Anyway, after core aerating today (3 passes) I noticed the change of color in the lawn went from dark green to more of a lime green color. I thought my eyes were playing tricks. When my wife got ready to leave, she noticed the same thing and said something without me even mentioning it. Does anyone know what reaction would cause the lawn to go from dark green to light green after an aeration?

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of grass and was the soil wet or dry???

My experience with a super wet lawn in which the H.O. abuses the lawn with irrigation all Summer,,, was a color change that was the look of healthy turf once the rootzone got some air... I don't know if I would call it 'lighter' but it was different...
Old 07-15-2014, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
What kind of grass and was the soil wet or dry???

My experience with a super wet lawn in which the H.O. abuses the lawn with irrigation all Summer,,, was a color change that was the look of healthy turf once the rootzone got some air... I don't know if I would call it 'lighter' but it was different...

The soil was damp. I watered it lightly early in the morning and moderately the day before to soften up the hard soil. The color change went from a dark green grass, to almost a pale green, but a "healthy" green it's hard to explain. It looks healthy, I just thinned it out doing such a heavy core aeration. I think it's going to help our lawn tremendously I had let the soil get out of control and didn't realize it had compacted so much. I think that's the reason areas were stressing. I guess under a large oak tree and hot dry weather I should have expected soil compaction.

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe the dark color came from the grass feeding off of N in the thatch,,, then began a huge root growth spurt when the soil opened up to sensible growth???
Old 07-18-2014, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Member

For my own home, I'll aerate about every 6-8 weeks. I might see a change like this briefly if we suddenly get a heat wave. But if all goes well it's just a brief couple day shock then it rebounds like it's spring again. As you probably already know, aeration increases the surface area so your turf probably dried out a little causing the change in color. Perhaps a reslult of pulling some of the deepest plugs?
Old 07-18-2014, 02:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Few days since aeration. Plugs holes are still spread across the lawns. I did a little inspection of them today. The plugs are already breaking up. The holes are being filled with roots and stems of new grass growth after just a few days. I also composted and fed after the aeration. I was planning to irrigate to help it feel back in, but the weather is finally doing that for us. We've been in the 90-100's a month with no rain in a whole month! We're going to get 3-4" of rain finally tonight it looks like. I'm hoping it fills back in quickly and nicely! I know this rain will give the lawn what we really needed finally!