Register free!

Old 07-16-2014, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Too Late to Dethatch??

Hi all,

I would appreciate your opinions on this one... we've had a lot of rainly lately in the midwest region (St. Louis, MO), which has me backed up quite a bit on my workload. I'm supposed to be dethatching and core aerating a Zoysia lawn that is in desperate need of it, but now that we're so far into the summer, I'm concerned with the lawn's ability to recover. Our 10-day forecast is attached; pretty mild, it's normally much hotter. After I aerate, she has someone else coming behind me to fertilize and overseed. No irrigation system is in place and it's an elderly client, so if it needs to be watered, I have to go do it myself. The money's right, I just don't want to disappoint the homeowner by making the lawn look ratty all summer. What would you do?
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2014, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Do the aeration and hold off on the thatching? Maybe have the guys way 2-3 days before doing the seeding after the aeration so the holes have some time to fill in a bit?
Old 07-17-2014, 02:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks smlc... I ended up deciding to go ahead with the dethatching this evening. It turned out pretty well; the turf doesn't look too thin, and we removed 18 lawn bags full of thatch from about 11,000 sq. ft. of Zoysia!! I'll put up a few before/during/after pictures when I have a few minutes to spare.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I think the danger is, at least up here with cool-season grasses (MN), that you will destroy or injure too much of the crown of the grass and it is harder for it to recover in the hot summer months. That is for vertical raking I'm guessing, more so than core-aeration.