Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-20-2014, 11:49 PM
Scottypoo Scottypoo is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 39
somethings got to change

I live in the upper mid-west and I use a three way that works well n everything but oxalis and wild violet. Then during my 3rd app I treat the entire lawn normally with three way and walk the entire lawn again with my backpack sprayer loaded speedzone. It works fabulously. I just need to eliminate that time spent walking the lawn a second time. I am willing to eat the cost increase because I will have more time available to work. But looking for a way to spike it or use a different chemical just for my third application. The recommended rate for high volume sprayer is obnoxious. I would literally loose money. Please help me out here. I'm overwhelmed in trying to find a solution. I know if it ain't broke don't fix it. ...but I know there is a way. ~ Scott
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-20-2014, 11:59 PM
ReddensLawnCare ReddensLawnCare is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottypoo View Post
I live in the upper mid-west and I use a three way that works well n everything but oxalis and wild violet. Then during my 3rd app I treat the entire lawn normally with three way and walk the entire lawn again with my backpack sprayer loaded speedzone. It works fabulously. I just need to eliminate that time spent walking the lawn a second time. I am willing to eat the cost increase because I will have more time available to work. But looking for a way to spike it or use a different chemical just for my third application. The recommended rate for high volume sprayer is obnoxious. I would literally loose money. Please help me out here. I'm overwhelmed in trying to find a solution. I know if it ain't broke don't fix it. ...but I know there is a way. ~ Scott

What do you mean the rate is obnoxious for high volume. The amount per gallon you are mixing should be lower. Please clarify
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-21-2014, 12:20 AM
Scottypoo Scottypoo is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
What do you mean the rate is obnoxious for high volume. The amount per gallon you are mixing should be lower. Please clarify
Posted via Mobile Device
1.1 to 1.8 oz per 1000sq.ft is recommended. I cover about 150000 sq. Ft with my 200 gallon high volume sprayer at my rate of walking. I could use 30 oz in backpack fills to accomplish the results I need. But I can't put 150 ozs in the tank, that would quadruple my cost per tank. I would just like to maybe spike the threeway or something. What are my options
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-21-2014, 02:39 AM
jjensen jjensen is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Mn.
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottypoo View Post
1.1 to 1.8 oz per 1000sq.ft is recommended. I cover about 150000 sq. Ft with my 200 gallon high volume sprayer at my rate of walking. I could use 30 oz in backpack fills to accomplish the results I need. But I can't put 150 ozs in the tank, that would quadruple my cost per tank. I would just like to maybe spike the threeway or something. What are my options
Posted via Mobile Device
I use momentum FX-2. It contains Triclopyr which works very good on oxalis, Charlie ect. Great product, I use a lot of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-21-2014, 06:43 AM
FdLLawnMan's Avatar
FdLLawnMan FdLLawnMan is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: East Central WI
Posts: 1,046
You can spike your mix with Triclopyr. Are you using a spreader sticker with your 3-way. That does help with those small summer annuals.
__________________
Mike I
Mike's Total Lawn Care

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-21-2014, 11:06 AM
Skipster Skipster is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
What do you mean the rate is obnoxious for high volume. The amount per gallon you are mixing should be lower. Please clarify
Posted via Mobile Device
I think what heís saying here (and it took me a lot of re-reading the post to figure it out) is that combining SpeedZone + 3-way and blanketing the lawn uses more product than his previous procedure, which was blanketing the lawn with 3-way, then walking the lawn again and spot-treating weeds with SpeedZone.

To me, both of these procedures sound wasteful and expensive. SpeedZone is just a common three-way mix (2,4-D + MCPP + dicamba) with carfentrazone (Quicksilver) added in.

1) If youíre already applying SpeedZone in a spot-treat fashion, why not just keep that up and dump the blanket application of 3-way? Do you really need to spray 3-way in those areas that donít have weeds?

2) If you insist on the blanket app why not do it with SpeedZone, so you have the product you want on the weeds and youíre not buying both products?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-21-2014, 11:16 AM
Scottypoo Scottypoo is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjensen View Post
I use momentum FX-2. It contains Triclopyr which works very good on oxalis, Charlie ect. Great product, I use a lot of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Is that an expensive product? And what's the mix ratio per Gallon of H2o?( to spike my three way.) Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-21-2014, 11:25 AM
Scottypoo Scottypoo is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
I think what heís saying here (and it took me a lot of re-reading the post to figure it out) is that combining SpeedZone + 3-way and blanketing the lawn uses more product than his previous procedure, which was blanketing the lawn with 3-way, then walking the lawn again and spot-treating weeds with SpeedZone.

To me, both of these procedures sound wasteful and expensive. SpeedZone is just a common three-way mix (2,4-D + MCPP + dicamba) with carfentrazone (Quicksilver) added in.

1) If youíre already applying SpeedZone in a spot-treat fashion, why not just keep that up and dump the blanket application of 3-way? Do you really need to spray 3-way in those areas that donít have weeds?

2) If you insist on the blanket app why not do it with SpeedZone, so you have the product you want on the weeds and youíre not buying both products?
I do need to do a blanket coat on 70% of the lawns I treat. But still 150 oz Speedzone per 200 gallon is to expensive. I use a sticker that I'm happy with. I just want to learn what others do. I know I can be more productive and cost effective if I do some research.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-21-2014, 12:20 PM
Skipster Skipster is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 783
Still not sure what youíre getting at. I guess Iím not clear on why youíre treating some areas with the 3-way combination (2,4-D + MCPP + dicamba) twice.

Is it the oxalis and wild violet that youíre targeting with your backpack apps? If so, and youíre comfortable with the activity youíre getting out of SpeedZone, why not add Quicksilver to your 3-way mix? When using the right amount, youíll be making your own SpeedZone de facto and youíre only adding one product to the cost of your 3-way tank.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-21-2014, 01:26 PM
Raymond S. Raymond S. is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 919
Do you really need to blanket every lawn? The only lawns I blanket are new lawns. After that it's spot spray, unless I hit the oddball that has a major breakthrough. Seems like a lot of wasted 3way. With that said, I carry Triclopyr around for those heavily infested yards that I want to kick up the mix a little bit.
Another alternative would be to get a ride on with an aux tank for spot spraying your speed zone. If you insist on doing it your way it would make the walkover pass much faster...obviously you'd be riding not walking.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:58 AM.

Page generated in 0.13414 seconds with 9 queries