Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-21-2014, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Shoot! That looks great!

The lines are perfectly straight. The lines are "very" visible.

Very cool
Old 07-21-2014, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Member

How do you lay down "perfectly straight" stripes.

I have these "long acre long" patches of grass and I'm not yet laying down "straight" stripes.

I was even thinking about using "a marker string" -- to give me a line to follow for the first stripe (I'm an amateur).

Any suggestions?
Old 07-21-2014, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hflores3 View Post
No other mowers in our area has "any" noticeable striping. No one is actually trying. Not even the professional services. Nada! No one.

My neighbors have been giving me fun-loving shxxx / grief about what I was building (the striper). NOW....one of my neighbors is asking questions about how it works (he has 4 acres of beautiful grass)! He came over and saw the strips -- I think he's interested now!! Hilarious!

He gave me two front brake rotors (i.e., the stud holes on the rotors give me ways to "bolt it" to the striper). Each one is about 22lbs so it's a good test with two of them.

I think the 40lb - 50lb weight may be the "sweet spot." I'm sure it will shorten the life of the rollers -- but I need to "test" how many seasons I can get out of the setup....then I will have a point of reference.

My last "goofy ass" idea is using a cheap ATV winch to "lift & lower" the striper. Lift it to zero turn. Lower it when I'm aimed. ....it's a goofy ass idea but I'm having fun figuring it out.

Why lift it when turning? I am going on my 3rd season with my stripe kit BLL just like yours and have no issues when turning. I think if you could get it up closer to the rear wheels it would work better too.

A good friend will bail you out of jail but a best friend will be sitting next to you saying dang that was fun..
Old 07-21-2014, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Affirmative. I will give it a shot (shortening it closer to the rear wheels)
Old 07-22-2014, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

On lines, I usually use the house as a guide for the lines so it showcases the home. I do straight lines with the house starting with a wall or roof line as a guide. The trick is o use your peripheral vision to line one of your front casters up on a point in the distance and not be trying to make a straight line by watching the ground 15 ft. in front of you. Five weeks later when you come back to this pattern use a different reference point on the home so you not on the same wheel tracks. This keeps rutting down to a minimum and is better for the grass as well. Second week I run perpendicular lines to the prior week. And next two weeks I do forty-five degrees angle to the house. Often there is a roof line/valley that lends itself as a guide. The week before and of the 4th of July I do a very slow wavy line (one week toward the house and the next perpendicular) like a flags stripes waving in the wind. Home owners love it. Always try and stagger a repeat pattern if possible. Depending on the yard lay out, size, and ability to visually see the home, etc of course you may have to improvise. Hope this makes sense.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
On lines, I usually use the house as a guide for the lines so it showcases the home. I do straight lines with the house starting with a wall or roof line as a guide. The trick is o use your peripheral vision to line one of your front casters up on a point in the distance and not be trying to make a straight line by watching the ground 15 ft. in front of you. Five weeks later when you come back to this pattern use a different reference point on the home so you not on the same wheel tracks. This keeps rutting down to a minimum and is better for the grass as well. Second week I run perpendicular lines to the prior week. And next two weeks I do forty-five degrees angle to the house. Often there is a roof line/valley that lends itself as a guide. The week before and of the 4th of July I do a very slow wavy line (one week toward the house and the next perpendicular) like a flags stripes waving in the wind. Home owners love it. Always try and stagger a repeat pattern if possible. Depending on the yard lay out, size, and ability to visually see the home, etc of course you may have to improvise. Hope this makes sense.

Outstanding advice!

My house isn't adjacent to where I need mow -- but I get your advice on "a process." It makes perfect sense.

The concept of "rutting & staggering" wasn't something I remotely considered!

Great advice.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by show-n-go View Post
Why lift it when turning? I am going on my 3rd season with my stripe kit BLL just like yours and have no issues when turning. I think if you could get it up closer to the rear wheels it would work better too.
Lifting it when turning -- two reasons:

a) I had to add weight to the rollers to help with the stripes. I'm worried about "dragging, rutting" the grass during turns.
b) Just something "cool" to add to my mower (just a fun project to do in the garage over the weekends)
Old 07-22-2014, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just pick something in the distance and drive straight to it. Some people will turn around and run a line down the same stripe again. I don't I'll start the next stripe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2014, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hflores3 View Post
Pictures reflect my adding at 25lb weight to "add" some grass bending pressure.

The picture is my 2nd test on our yard.

Getting there!

I may add another plate and test again.
Looks better should work better closer, are you mowing a mix of southern grasses? Here you barely can leave a stripe only way to do it is with something like this, first time I have seen a weight added on to one though.

Still not figured out my Deere mount lol about impossible to have a wobble roller and make it raise and lower in/not in use

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 07-22-2014, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Just pick something in the distance and drive straight to it. Some people will turn around and run a line down the same stripe again. I don't I'll start the next stripe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Going back the opposite direction on the same run usually makes the striping much less apparent IMO.