Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-19-2014, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

13 properties and you have three employees?

If you're doing this full time cut out your help, you said it yourself, some days you don't have a full schedule, this should free up money for more efficient/reliable equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-19-2014, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
13 properties and you have three employees?

If you're doing this full time cut out your help, you said it yourself, some days you don't have a full schedule, this should free up money for more efficient/reliable equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device
Where did you get 3 employees?
I have 2 helpers always on call, but that's about it. A good friend of mine and my brother. I normally don't use them for lawn service though. Just bigger landscaping jobs where I need an extra hand. I just have bills to pay and I don't make enough to pay all my bills non the less put money back. I've squeezed by a little bit of cash but as said, that's now going to getting my mower fixed. Moving soon though, to a cheaper place so i'll have more money to spare for getting things going.

In all this mess, I just had a client ask to go weekly. So that's good right? 4 weekly now. I have a friend who's yard i do not listed on my properties, and I have 1 potential. So, might go up to 15 properties if my friend keeps using me and his mom signs for me to do her lot too.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I misread your post, but the fact remains you need to cut out your friend and brother. If you aren't booked you don't need employees just my .02
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-19-2014, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh, I totally agree with you man. No reason to drag around people I don't need. My friend has this really big property, and I use my one friend to help me with that property when asked to be done, but other then that... If I'm not working 9 - 5 I'm not bringing help. I currently have no days where I need a helper. Just that one property.

I mainly keep them on call for bad situations. Like my mower being down, and me being backed up on yards. Day I get my mower, yeah. I'm gonna call one of the two up and work 9 - 5 trying to catch up on my lawns, and keep people happy. But then these two probably won't get any more work from me for a month or so, because like you said. If I'm not working a full day plus some... I don't need help.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No bragging, no jokes, no laughs, on a serious note, I just chimed in and read a few post and was startled by what I read. 13 lawns and 3 workers? I have 60 residential properties, two commercials and HOA contracts one being over a mile stretch of property weekly. I work by myself, enough said. It sounds like your venturing on a friendship type thing then starting a business. Get rid of all them helpers and bring in the money! I thought the goal of a business in start-up was to keep expenses low, unless your making an "investment." An investment where you might need three helpers, say you had 40,000 flyers printed out and distributed them all, then you might need three helpers. But now now!

(I took the Praying For Rain out of my signature, due to my hypothesis that it has been a jinx on Central Texas.) Now here comes the rain.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Again, I don't have these 2 people help me that often. One rarely helps me as is.

I have a friend who helps me occasionally. Mostly, bigger jobs where I need an extra hand. On lawn maintenance side of things, I don't have any help at all. I don't need help for 13 clients. I just need help with landscaping jobs. Up my prices a little to still make a fair profit, hire one of them onto the job for 2 - 3 hrs and I get done faster if its a heavy day. Rarely will i set up a landscaping job on a busy day, and do both the landscaping and maintenance with a helper.

The other helper is my brother. He mostly will only help out with smaller stuff, like removing clippings, and debris from the truck. Un-loading and loading the truck, Cleaning off the mowers, helps with equiptment maintenance, and **** like that. A lot of the times I'll toss him $5 to $10 for misc. help because I'm to exausted to do it myself.

But these are the only two helpers I have. Kinda confused on where everyone is getting 3 and I've said it several times now, they're occassional helpers. I don't use these people every day. I use them only when I need a hand. I also charge extra on first cuts for bad lawns, and grab one of them to help me out, but that's just because tall grass with a poulan 21" self propelled is not fun.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Still not sure why you need 3 employees.
Stihl FS40-C Trimmer
Poulan Pro Blower
Old 07-21-2014, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamslawncare View Post
Again, I don't have these 2 people help me that often. One rarely helps me as is.

I have a friend who helps me occasionally. Mostly, bigger jobs where I need an extra hand. On lawn maintenance side of things, I don't have any help at all. I don't need help for 13 clients. I just need help with landscaping jobs. Up my prices a little to still make a fair profit, hire one of them onto the job for 2 - 3 hrs and I get done faster if its a heavy day. Rarely will i set up a landscaping job on a busy day, and do both the landscaping and maintenance with a helper.

The other helper is my brother. He mostly will only help out with smaller stuff, like removing clippings, and debris from the truck. Un-loading and loading the truck, Cleaning off the mowers, helps with equiptment maintenance, and **** like that. A lot of the times I'll toss him $5 to $10 for misc. help because I'm to exausted to do it myself.

But these are the only two helpers I have. Kinda confused on where everyone is getting 3 and I've said it several times now, they're occassional helpers. I don't use these people every day. I use them only when I need a hand. I also charge extra on first cuts for bad lawns, and grab one of them to help me out, but that's just because tall grass with a poulan 21" self propelled is not fun.
I mow 4 half days a week. Monday through Thursday. Upsells do not come that often so if need be I do them on the afternoons, Friday, Saturday, and the occasional Sunday.

When I can not finish a job I will take more then one day to finish that upsell job because I do my mowings first, and if no mowings on that day and I still can not finish the job I will come back the next day.

I have eliminated the need for PT help.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
I mow 4 half days a week. Monday through Thursday. Upsells do not come that often so if need be I do them on the afternoons, Friday, Saturday, and the occasional Sunday.

When I can not finish a job I will take more then one day to finish that upsell job because I do my mowings first, and if no mowings on that day and I still can not finish the job I will come back the next day.

I have eliminated the need for PT help.
I can agree with you there. I just prefer to bring a helper for upsale jobs. I had a big yard cleanup job, with my helper. 5 1/2 Hours. My girlfriend wanted the place cleaned up. 1 acre backyard. Nice sized front lawn. We had to trim up all the trees and bushes, Mow the grass, Pull weeds of the fences, Pull the vines off the trees, Cleanout the garden beds, and trim up the plants, amd haul it all off. I had my helper get loose branches off the ground, then start mowing. I trimmed up the trees and pulled down the vines, while he was mowing, weedeating, edging and leaf blowing. I had him clean out the beds while I did the hedges, then we loaded up the truck and job was done. It was 1 1/2 away from home too. I gave her a good deal since it was my girlfriend's grandma. Having a helper saved me in gas, because alone it would've been a 2 day job.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamslawncare View Post
I can agree with you there. I just prefer to bring a helper for upsale jobs. I had a big yard cleanup job, with my helper. 5 1/2 Hours. My girlfriend wanted the place cleaned up. 1 acre backyard. Nice sized front lawn. We had to trim up all the trees and bushes, Mow the grass, Pull weeds of the fences, Pull the vines off the trees, Cleanout the garden beds, and trim up the plants, amd haul it all off. I had my helper get loose branches off the ground, then start mowing. I trimmed up the trees and pulled down the vines, while he was mowing, weedeating, edging and leaf blowing. I had him clean out the beds while I did the hedges, then we loaded up the truck and job was done. It was 1 1/2 away from home too. I gave her a good deal since it was my girlfriend's grandma. Having a helper saved me in gas, because alone it would've been a 2 day job.
Paid your helper $60 I am guessing.

Would you of spent $60 on gas going two days?

The equipment that I use to mow and do a clean up is totally different. So I would of been able to easily treat that as a clean up and mow and go two separate days..

When I do snow my two sons help often and I pay them very good. Snow removal can not wait or be put off.

You need to record every penny spent on employees. Labor is an expense that creeps up on you fast.

I had my best fall clean up last year. Had my son help and my friend. Due to age my friend really slowed down that fall. After seeing what I grossed, expenses and labor paid out.

It showed me I had one employee too many for the volume of work and gross. My son and I could of picked up his load.

And, my net would of looked a lot better.