Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-21-2014, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

new dodges have independent rear suspension on 2500's???
Old 07-21-2014, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yep you can get air ride factory as well
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2014, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
new dodges have independent rear suspension on 2500's???
I believe they are still solid axles, just went coil springs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2014, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4B LawnCare View Post
I believe they are still solid axles, just went coil springs.
Posted via Mobile Device
My friend called it 5 link.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2014, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
I just think in your case diesel is a preference. It would seem like a 6 speed tranny would make up for the less torque. My landlord has a 40k gross dump truck with a 360 cu inch gas engine putting out around 300hp. It's all gearing. Will the diesel handle the load better? heck ya it will. Also a bumper pull won't effect toe angle like a gooseneck. Bumper pull you actually lift the front end up a little due to all the weight being on the end of the truck. Gooseneck will squash the whole truck down. This is why all 4500 and larger are all solid axles. The ride quality won't be there, but it will handle heavy loads better. If you are considering diesel I would also look hard at the Cummins over dmax. Also you might be interested in the engine braking of diesels.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the info.

Today I hauled 7 12-13k gross loads of broken concrete in the 7x14 dump trailer with the 2011 2500HD 6.0 gas. The 6 speed transmission does help, but I can still definitely see the benefit of the diesel. Louisiana is flat as a pancake - the idea of engine braking sounds great, but would it see much use around here?

I had read about the gooseneck squashing the whole truck down, makes sense with it being in front of the rear axle...

I know chevy is IFS no matter what, but just for interest do the ford and dodge 2wd 2500 and 3500 also have solid front axles? Reason I ask, I see a lot of 2wd fords, dodges, and chevys for that matter running hotshot trucks around here, would they also have affected toe angles?

I would love to step up to a 4500 truck, but frankly even a 3500 dually puts me in CDL territory around here with my trailers. Before anyone says anything, I know they're relatively easy to get and then you don't have to worry about it, but there are a lot of increased costs that I don't know if it justifies for us. For the weight of equipment we would have to haul to need one, its much easier to get a subcontractor if and when we need that size rig. Just food for thought.

I honestly hadn't thought about the toe angles though, and have never heard of people with bad tire wear from towing...is that common?
Old 07-21-2014, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
My friend called it 5 link.
Posted via Mobile Device
You're correct, just researched and verified. Still a solid axle, but just with a setup like a mustang (coil springs, parallel trac bars, and a panhard). I had seen in the 1500s, didn't know the 2500's got the same treatment. Pretty interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWIiEodjJaA
Old 07-21-2014, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Classis lawn care on here has one. I think the airbags are an additional $3500?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2014, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthefurniture View Post
Thanks for the info.

Today I hauled 7 12-13k gross loads of broken concrete in the 7x14 dump trailer with the 2011 2500HD 6.0 gas. The 6 speed transmission does help, but I can still definitely see the benefit of the diesel. Louisiana is flat as a pancake - the idea of engine braking sounds great, but would it see much use around here?

I had read about the gooseneck squashing the whole truck down, makes sense with it being in front of the rear axle...

I know chevy is IFS no matter what, but just for interest do the ford and dodge 2wd 2500 and 3500 also have solid front axles? Reason I ask, I see a lot of 2wd fords, dodges, and chevys for that matter running hotshot trucks around here, would they also have affected toe angles?

I would love to step up to a 4500 truck, but frankly even a 3500 dually puts me in CDL territory around here with my trailers. Before anyone says anything, I know they're relatively easy to get and then you don't have to worry about it, but there are a lot of increased costs that I don't know if it justifies for us. For the weight of equipment we would have to haul to need one, its much easier to get a subcontractor if and when we need that size rig. Just food for thought.

I honestly hadn't thought about the toe angles though, and have never heard of people with bad tire wear from towing...is that common?
I kept using toe, its camber I am talking about. I run older trucks and its an issue with my 93 chevy 3500 extended cab diesel. This winter running a plow with 8k of salt in the back destroyed my front tires. On my truck the camber changes with the stroke of the suspension, I just don't know if chevy has fixed that with the new trucks. Engine break is awesome for saving breaks. You won't use the breaks on the truck unless you come to a complete stop. Anyways just giving a different angle to the conversation.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I kept using toe, its camber I am talking about. I run older trucks and its an issue with my 93 chevy 3500 extended cab diesel. This winter running a plow with 8k of salt in the back destroyed my front tires. On my truck the camber changes with the stroke of the suspension, I just don't know if chevy has fixed that with the new trucks. Engine break is awesome for saving breaks. You won't use the breaks on the truck unless you come to a complete stop. Anyways just giving a different angle to the conversation.
Have you had proper alignment done? That truck is a pain in the ass. You have to grind out the slots to be able to adjust camber on them. A lot of people will just tap the receiver until it reads in spec because they don't want to do it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2014, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Almost no trk in your "weight" range has solid front axles. And you can run into more costs associated with a solid front axle.
Posted via Mobile Device