Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-21-2014, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanx much BigFish ... that is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for ... KAW Part Number and all. I will contact them and see if they endorse that part for my engine.

http://kmcb2c.econnect.partsandwarra...historyDepth=6
Old 07-21-2014, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ya oughtta try and find that oil cooler post, it's just what yer lookin' to do.

'Course if yer house has more wheels than yer truck...

......AMF!
Old 07-21-2014, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Been looking ... haven't found it just yet. Thanx !!!
Old 05-09-2015, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Member

For those of you who commented on this project ... I had to take my mower in to the dealer for some warranty issues the other day, and I asked the Service Manager what HE thought about adding the oil cooler. He said he personally thought it was a good idea, and would not affect the warranty, but that I should probably contact Kawasaki and seek their blessing. He said that he could only refuse to perform warranty work if the unit actually came in to the shop with modifications that were not acceptable ... HINT .. HINT. The whole thing comes off in about 2 minutes.

Called Kawasaki when I got home and had a great conversation with their Tech. Rep. He said "of course" keeping the oil cooler is a great idea ... in fact, Kawasaki sells a small custom kit that includes the adapter that installs between the filter and the block, along with the cooler coil and the necessary hoses. He said he liked my idea even better because my cooling coil had more capacity. He laughed at the idea that John Deere wanted Kawasaki to sanction the change, because once J.D. buys up their engines ... THEY (J.D.) by contract become the warrantor of the units. He agreed that if there was an issue with possibly having warranty work rejected due to an unapproved modification, it would probable be best to simply remove the system if the need came up.

The system they sell has an almost identical pancake filter adapter, and a small coil that mounts to a hole in the side of the engine shroud ... mine will mount directly above the air screen on top of the motor ... it has much more capacity ... more surface ... and will be directly in the path of more moving air. Sounds like I have the positive reinforcement from two good sources to proceed with this little project ... I'll post a few pictures as it progresses to show you guys how it works out ... I just have to machine a ring of light gauge steel to mount the coil. The rest is just screw-on parts.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=Fuzzy1;5250559] "Kawasaki sells a small custom kit that includes the adapter that installs between the filter and the block, along with the cooler coil and the necessary hoses."

Fuzzy, do you have the parts number for this kit or the individual adapter, coil, and hoses.

I could not find it anywhere, and the links above just sent me to the Kawasaki home page.

I am very interested in getting one for my JD 757 wih Kawi 25 hp FH721D which IMO as a retired mechanical engineer with 30 years selling and servicing rotating equipment, just flat runs TOOOOO hot. I blow/wash the cooling fins off after every use, and pull the shrouds if there is any indication that they are clogging up. Even spanking clean in the best of conditions it still runs TOOOO hot IMO.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

The Kawasaki FX730V on my 2012 Hustler X-ONE has an engine oil cooler installed as standard equipment. It is a Kawasaki cooler and is connected to two fittings on the oil filter adapter.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Here's a link to the Kawasaki FH770D which has the external oil cooler as factory equipment ... you should be able to either locate the parts from this link, or just call Kawasaki and see if there's a kit for your engine. I am just using a "pancake" adapter ... it fits in between the block and the filter ... an external heat exchanger which is much larger than theirs (I just happened to have it available) ... and the required hoses & clamps. I would guess it would be much cheaper to do it my way, or at least get your own adapter & hoses with the possibility of getting the actual heat exchanger from them. That way, you don't have to fabricate any mounts or anything ... just mount the factory cooler ... mount the aftermarket adapter ... run the two hoses ... DONE !!!

http://www.kawasaki-engines.eu/engin...es/fh770d-kai/

Here's the adapter I will be using ... it does the exact same thing as the Kaw unit, and is probably much cheaper ... ... ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3Q5L29ROA0I31
Old 05-27-2015, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
You will most likely LOWER oil pressure and that will Shorten the life of your engine.
Not to mention added connections and rubber hoses increases the places where a leak can spring, and let me tell you when oil cooler hoses start going... These issues are the main reasons why normally most people who use an oil cooler do so as a last resort to cooling down an overheating engine, by overheating I mean it runs so hot that pre-ignition becomes an issue that in effect throttles performance.

Because it's not going to cool your engine down a lot unless you're running way hot, the hotter it runs the better the effect, it's not like a radiator, an oil cooler only helps cool an engine by 5-6, 7, 8 maybe 10 degrees on a really hot one. Most engines sporting an oil cooler have heavy loads to deal with, like trucks, tractors, things that pull and tow, also certain high performance (high rpm racing) air-cooled engines.

Put another way...
Most people don't put an oil cooler on an engine because they think it would be a neat upgrade.
People who install an oil cooler do so because there's no other way around an engine that is running a lot hotter than it should.

You'd be as well off, in most cases, run synthetic oil.

Last edited by herler; 05-27-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Then WHY does the factory install them on all of their upper end motors if it is, as you claim a "last resort" ??? I spoke with a factory technician at great length ... he said there are absolutely NO drawbacks to adding the cooler. If you use the appropriate hoses and clamps, there should be no reason for concern relative to leakage. He also debunked the idea that there would be a pressure drop across the coil and he agreed that it would do nothing but extend the life of the motor.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Most of the small engine oil coolers are partial flow low pressure.
I wouldn't mess with an engine on a John Deere machine that is still on warranty, which may be warrantied thru John Deere only and not the usual engine manufacturers warranty.
I don't service JD equipment, but just had a family members machine here and as usual I ran into a problem which was identifying the mower deck, but was able to get all rotating parts, get it done and back onto the machine. Briggs Intek twin on this machine, but has a JD air filter.
It is a wonder that JD hasn't specified JD fuel for JD machines, maybe they do!!!!!!
As herler has already mentioned, "it is a John Deere"!!!! This statement give some of us the willies when we hear it or see the green machine!!!!

Last edited by Bob MacGregor; 05-27-2015 at 09:27 PM. Reason: more info