Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-20-2014, 06:48 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
How many hours life you will get out of your Toro and the attachments you have purchased to go with it depends on maintenance and upkeep, how hard of a workout you will put the equipment through. I don't have any idea how hard or easy you are on equipment. To give you a number of hours your equipment will last is impossible to even guesstimate. Buying equipment that is at best homeowner grade equipment to use professionally day in and day out is a waste of money since the equipment is not meant for that amount of wear and tear.
Box Stores generally sell to homeowners. These same stores rarely service what they sell and rely on other brick and mortar dealerships to cover warranty issues and the like. Although the dealership handling your warranty issues may be authorized to service and repair what you buy from some where else, I will tell you that when you do have a problem I hope you will not be needing your equipment back any time soon. Your needs and the dealers needs are generally Two different things. If you bought your Toro equipment from a Toro Dealer that services what they sell you should fair better. If not you will quickly discover that the lower price you paid for your equipment is lower for many reasons, most of which are not good.
Common sense needs to be applied when making purchases for the present and future.
easy-lift guy
Here I am quoting myself again. Read over again and decide if you want to buy from a box store or from a actual dealer that services what they sell.
The rest is up to you.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-20-2014, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How often are you planning to use it and for what? I had a Troy-Bilt with power pruner attachment when I first started out. It didn't last very long even with light use, about 30 days.

I've got the biggest telescopic power pruner Echo makes on one trailer and on the other trailer I've got the Echo Pro Attachment Series (PAS) power pruner with an extension. Both are fantastic and going on 5 or so years old with heavy use and aren't showing any signs of slowing down.

You get what you pay for and breakdowns cost you time and can cost you customers as your reliability can come into question if you have problems and need to put off jobs.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for the replies. I have already ordered the Ryobi pole saw attachment for $100 shipped to my home.

Greg78: I've mentioned this previously in a reply, I'm using at my house. It's a seasonal use at my resident to trim three trees.

Next weekend, I'll begin trimming some small branches, but in an upcoming season, I'll test it out on larger branches.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just use it very gently and it may last you awhile. Much like Greg78 posted, I have had a Troy-bilt articulating hedgetrimmer attachment that broke the case when hit against a branch. My neighbor had the same experience with his. His lasted a month or so, mine lasted a couple of years. I ordered the new case parts and fixed them both. Lent it to one of our workers at my day job last week and he brought it back broken today. All 3 times the case has snapped in the same area because it was being swung back and forth and hit something more substantial than a vine.

I'm virtually positive a Husky, Stihl or Echo would not have broken the case in any of those occasions. I have a Husky 326, and a Stihl HS75, both articulating hedgetrimmers, both bought used and fixed up, and neither has broken.
This is why everyone keeps telling you that Husky, Stihl or Echo makes much better quality tools. There is a thread currently running on a chainsaw site I visit - the consensus on that thread is the Echo or Husky is better than the Stihl, mostly because a lot of those posters strongly dislike the Stihl "4-mix" engine.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:23 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T View Post
Thanks guys for the replies. I have already ordered the Ryobi pole saw attachment for $100 shipped to my home.

Greg78: I've mentioned this previously in a reply, I'm using at my house. It's a seasonal use at my resident to trim three trees.

Next weekend, I'll begin trimming some small branches, but in an upcoming season, I'll test it out on larger branches.
Penny wise and dollar cheap comes to mind. I am sure you will be disappointed with your investment.. Try to remember the advise from many pros that attempted to advise you when you have your first issue or problem with your investment.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-21-2014, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Member

easy-lift guy: What's up with the negativity? Can't you just go on with you life when people make a certain decision? I have already told you what I decided and I don't need or WANT your "parental" concern.

What you need to understand is that we're all adult and we should all take our own responsibility. So don't worry about what my decisions are or the other guys decision; just leave it alone.

I think I know where you're coming from.... don't worry, majority of my garage tools are Made in USA or Germany. Perhaps you can come to Houston and I'll give you a tour of my garage.

Thanks for the help everyone!!!! Let's move on.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Easy-lift guy is being a realist. You're the one being negative.
You asked for the opinion of a tool, got a unanimous one you didn't like, and bought it anyway. It seems that you made up your mind before asking the question, and were just looking for affirmation. Sorry, that's not always going to be forthcoming.

Nobody here wishes you any ill will. In fact, I believe we are all trying to help you avoid a bad experience. But I guess you're one of those people who just has to live the bad experience for yourself, for you to believe the anecdotes. Ok. I for one would be much happier to hear a positive review from you a year from now, than to have to say we told you so.

I will part with this advice: start using it as soon as you get it, and if you do have any issues with it in the first few days, consider exercising your return option. That's easier than dumping it on craigslist, and its better to get your money back than to put it in the trash.

The truth is that you really cannot read the specs, or even browse stuff hanging on the walls, and make a fair comparison between a Stihl (or other top shelf brand) and Ryobi (box store brand) attachment. You've got to use it to see if it suits your needs. It was difficult for me to get past the silly looks of the Kombi blower attachment. I asked the dealer how well it worked, and he told me to bring my powerhead and try his floor model out in his parking lot. After blowing around rocks, I went home with it.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Myself, I didn't ask for advice when I walked into a Lowes years ago, said "Hey, that Troy Bilt looks nice", and bought the string trimmer + edger attachment, and Expand-it hedge trimmer and pole pruner. I was just incredibly lucky when the engine fell apart within the return period, and I brought all that crap back without losing any money on it. It still wasn't easy spending as much on the Stihl hedge trimmer attachment as I had just paid for THREE cheap attachments, but the sting of the cost faded away years ago, and I'm still quite happy every time I pull one of these tools out.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

rlitman: I didn't realized my curiousity would cause such a stir. No, didn't know I was going to get the Ryobi. I came on here with all of these question (i'm an engineer by trade) but I learned a lot by asking and researching. It appears that too many of y'all make such random assumptions through out.

I'm not sure where my negativity lied on this thread; feel free to point it out.

Again, thanks guys!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T View Post
rlitman: I didn't realized my curiousity would cause such a stir. No, didn't know I was going to get the Ryobi. I came on here with all of these question ](i'm an engineer by trade) but I learned a lot by asking and researching. It appears that too many of y'all make such random assumptions through out.

I'm not sure where my negativity lied on this thread; feel free to point it out.

Again, thanks guys!
You're an engineer and you can't tell the difference in construction quality between a Stihl/Husky/Echo and a Ryobi/Troybilt???
OMG!!!