Register free!

Old 07-21-2014, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
Still not sure what youíre getting at. I guess Iím not clear on why youíre treating some areas with the 3-way combination (2,4-D + MCPP + dicamba) twice.

Is it the oxalis and wild violet that youíre targeting with your backpack apps? If so, and youíre comfortable with the activity youíre getting out of SpeedZone, why not add Quicksilver to your 3-way mix? When using the right amount, youíll be making your own SpeedZone de facto and youíre only adding one product to the cost of your 3-way tank.
Thank you. This is what I need to learn about. like what ratio of quicksilver to add to my 3 way/ w sticker. I only blanket coat 2 of my 4 apps. I use an all liquid diet for these two, so not having to retrace my steps would be awesome. Any more advice would be appreciated. Thanks everyone for the feedback. Any constructive feedback is good feedback
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2014, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Speedzone is more expensive than Momentum Fx2. I also am unsure as to what you are really doing. If you just spike the 3-way with Triclopyr you will get all of the weeds mentioned or go and use either Escalade 2 from Nufarm or Momentum Fx2. No need for the Speedzone, especially during the summer, it is to volatile for my tastes.

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I thought this thread was going to be about all the frigging pop ups in this site lately.

Christ sakes dudes.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
Still not sure what youíre getting at. I guess Iím not clear on why youíre treating some areas with the 3-way combination (2,4-D + MCPP + dicamba) twice.

Is it the oxalis and wild violet that youíre targeting with your backpack apps? If so, and youíre comfortable with the activity youíre getting out of SpeedZone, why not add Quicksilver to your 3-way mix? When using the right amount, youíll be making your own SpeedZone de facto and youíre only adding one product to the cost of your 3-way tank.
How much quicksilver should I add to 200 gallon s of threeway mix? If I can get an answer for that , I'll be on the right track. I need to fine tune mgmt program a bit and this u great start. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2014, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Member

We use battleship III this time of year works great. We use this at 3 pints acre no sticker low order and is one of the best herbicides I have ever used.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good suggestions, Skip.
By my calculations it should cost you about $100 to fill your tank and spray 150,000 sqft with a generic three way.
Say you do 15 or so 10,000 sqft lawns at 60 dollars each; you collect $900.
Use a better weed product and you would still collect about $700. OK money, for a day.
So true, walking lawns with a back pack is highly time-consuming and therefore costly. Say you pay yourself $50 per hour and it takes a half hour to walk each of the 15 lawns. That would be 7.5 hours. Subtract a labor cost of $350. The main cost is the labor. Don't forget that.
You could always carry a one gallon hand sprayer over your shoulder when you spray with your hose and spot spray difficult weeds with a triclopyr mixture.

Naturally you have to be careful and legal--the limit for 2,4-D is about 2 applications (about 2lbs per acre per year). Add wetting agent to increase the kill ratio. You may wish to add an ap of a non-2,4-D product like Lesco Eliminate.

And timing is very important--many of the tough weeds are most vulnerable during their young stages. May and the first part of June, easy kill and more complete.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, so, here is what I do. 1application- pellets fertilizer only. #2 liquid weed and fert. #3 liquid weed, fert, and speedzone spot treatments. #4 fertilizer pellets and a rare spot spray. So #3 is where I want to eliminate the back with speedzone and just spike the tank for that app. Does that kind of give you all a better idea of what I'm curious about and why? What I do works, but I need to change the way I handle my 3rd app. Thanks again all. And keep the comments rolling.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2014, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I see on the label that the suggested ratio to mix with a 3way is about 1 to 1.5 oz per acre. My 200 gallon of mix usually gets me at least three acres. Should I lean towards the lower level of 1 oz per acre or maybe hotter? Please share your experiences. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2014, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottypoo View Post
I see on the label that the suggested ratio to mix with a 3way is about 1 to 1.5 oz per acre. My 200 gallon of mix usually gets me at least three acres. Should I lean towards the lower level of 1 oz per acre or maybe hotter? Please share your experiences. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Shoot for the middle unless you are spiking it with Triclopyr. Then you can apply the 3-way at the lower rate. How much nitrogen are you applying when you do a weed & feed and what type of nitrogen are you using.

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdLLawnMan View Post
Shoot for the middle unless you are spiking it with Triclopyr. Then you can apply the 3-way at the lower rate. How much nitrogen are you applying when you do a weed & feed and what type of nitrogen are you using.
I use a 15-0-5 with formalene on #2 and #3 which works wonderfully. and 18-0-8 in spring and fall. I like my routine, it works well. I'm always trying to fine tune it to be more efficient and effective. I'll try a 1/6 of a tangible with 3way and 1 oz per gallon at my dad's house. I'll know for sure if I do his lawn. He likes to do it himself but he's not quite making it happen.
Posted via Mobile Device