Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm siting here rolling on the floor laughing at everything I just read. I grew up in a business family and understand business minded people come up with many business minded unique strategies to make their business stick out, but I don't think your running a business, as someone mentioned, I don't understand why you pointed out competitors, your competitors are the 14 year old's with the home-owner mowers, only you now upgraded to mid-entry level, rather then entry level.

On a serious note. Here's some food for the soul.

1. If you made so much money on $5.00 lawns, WHY IN THE "HECK" ARE YOU SO WORRIED ABOUT THE COST OF FLYERS OR MARKETING? You mentioned $200.00 to pick up (6) $30.00 lawns. The apples don't line up there. $200.00 will get you 8,000 flyers, and I'm sure you can land more then six closing calls off of 8,000 flyers, very, very easily. Are you targeting the right areas? Are you trying to advertise in the middle of summer? Nashville has a population of 600,000, not far from you. And don't say 30 miles is to far to travel to work if your raking in so much money off them $5.00 lawns, you should be more then happy to drive 30 miles to pick up those big bucks. Next, again, if you made so much money off $5.00 lawns, you should have plenty of money saved up, do yourself a favor, go to printplace's website, get you 20,000 flyers printed, head to Nashville for a week straight, and you should be on your way to making some "decent" money if you can handle the work load with your "honda."

2. If you made so much money off these $5.00 lawns what made you go with a Honda, enlighten me, (I might be on the market for another mower.) Are they making some big money making commercial mowers now aside from the small time push mowers?

3. Do you get tired of dealing with them one-time customers? Do you have plenty of back up mowers for cutting the over-grown lawns?

4. Are you still living with your mom? Who paid your rent when you was mowing for $5.00 and don't play me like I was just born, I'm a eye for eye type of guy.

John Deere 997 60" Diesel
Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Business: Solo Operated
Mechanic: Myself learning day by day.
Parts Supplier: ZeroTurnMan for everything.

Last edited by PicturePerfectLawns; 07-22-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I forgot to mention, if your willing to keep mowing for $5.00, why don't you just start a traveling sub-contracting business. I mean you should be able to afford rooms aboard and travel expenses making that good money with the up-sells. Between us Texas guys and the many other members here I'm sure we can come up with 100,000+ lawns for you and your honda to mow and you won't ever have to worry about the cost of advertising, flyers, and what-not again, we'll be happy to give you $5.00 on each and every lawn and keep our cut from our prices with the customers.

Are you a growing business? Maybe I'm bad at math, but how much are you going to pay your employees per lawn? Are you going to charge $5.00 and pay the employee $10.00?

On a serious note, come down to Texas. In fact, let's make a deal. If your a man of your word, and mow lawns for $5.00, I'll let you mow as many lawns as you want. You can work from Monday - Sunday, 7 a.m. to 8:45 p.m. and I'll give you unlimited amount of lawns and you never have to worry about advertising, marketing, and so forth again and I'm a man of my word.

John Deere 997 60" Diesel
Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Business: Solo Operated
Mechanic: Myself learning day by day.
Parts Supplier: ZeroTurnMan for everything.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:26 AM
Sponsor

The ball is in the court of the OP 4 different ways ATM. One member offered to sit down and go over the operations for the OP. The Second member suggested for the OP to apply for work with his local Government.
The Third member has just suggested offered unlimited lawns to mow from dawn to dusk 7 days a week in TX.
Of course the Fourth member is the OP himself and I believe regardless how many suggestions can be made, the OP will continue on his present course heading where ever his business plan will lead him.
I am not really sure where the OP's plan will ultimately lead him, however I am confident that when the funds do run out when the season ends unless the OP follows or at least tries some of the advise given the consequences will be devastating.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-22-2014, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, he said early on that he did SEO / internet marketing for a living and it was "slow". IF he is that hard up he should be able to build a good web page that ranks well in the search engines and pick up plenty of clients to keep him and his honda push mower busy. Not trying to knock the guy, I guess he's trying. We all gotta start somewheres. However, if he really is or was in the internet marketing biz, I think his website would be a little better than that.

i think he works in the same area as the yard boy on here, and i thought that guy was doing well, even though i haven't seen him on here in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
I forgot to mention, if your willing to keep mowing for $5.00, why don't you just start a traveling sub-contracting business. I mean you should be able to afford rooms aboard and travel expenses making that good money with the up-sells. Between us Texas guys and the many other members here I'm sure we can come up with 100,000+ lawns for you and your honda to mow and you won't ever have to worry about the cost of advertising, flyers, and what-not again, we'll be happy to give you $5.00 on each and every lawn and keep our cut from our prices with the customers.

Are you a growing business? Maybe I'm bad at math, but how much are you going to pay your employees per lawn? Are you going to charge $5.00 and pay the employee $10.00?

On a serious note, come down to Texas. In fact, let's make a deal. If your a man of your word, and mow lawns for $5.00, I'll let you mow as many lawns as you want. You can work from Monday - Sunday, 7 a.m. to 8:45 p.m. and I'll give you unlimited amount of lawns and you never have to worry about advertising, marketing, and so forth again and I'm a man of my word.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I'm siting here rolling on the floor laughing at everything I just read. I grew up in a business family and understand business minded people come up with many business minded unique strategies to make their business stick out, but I don't think your running a business, as someone mentioned, I don't understand why you pointed out competitors, your competitors are the 14 year old's with the home-owner mowers, only you now upgraded to mid-entry level, rather then entry level.

1. If you made so much money on $5.00 lawns, WHY IN THE "HECK" ARE YOU SO WORRIED ABOUT THE COST OF FLYERS OR MARKETING? You mentioned $200.00 to pick up (6) $30.00 lawns. The apples don't line up there. $200.00 will get you 8,000 flyers, and I'm sure you can land more then six closing calls off of 8,000 flyers, very, very easily. Are you targeting the right areas? Are you trying to advertise in the middle of summer? Nashville has a population of 600,000, not far from you. And don't say 30 miles is to far to travel to work if your raking in so much money off them $5.00 lawns, you should be more then happy to drive 30 miles to pick up those big bucks. Next, again, if you made so much money off $5.00 lawns, you should have plenty of money saved up, do yourself a favor, go to printplace's website, get you 20,000 flyers printed, head to Nashville for a week straight, and you should be on your way to making some "decent" money if you can handle the work load with your "honda."

2. If you made so much money off these $5.00 lawns what made you go with a Honda, enlighten me, (I might be on the market for another mower.) Are they making some big money making commercial mowers now aside from the small time push mowers?

3. Do you get tired of dealing with them one-time customers? Do you have plenty of back up mowers for cutting the over-grown lawns?

4. Are you still living with your mom? Who paid your rent when you was mowing for $5.00 and don't play me like I was just born, I'm a eye for eye type of guy.
What's funny is: he doesn't need to find work in Nashville, in fact most folks in Nashville look for work in his area. Franklin/Brentwood/spring hill
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2014, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

Why didn't you bother reading the OP? Posing rude, insulting and condescending posts in peoples' thread doesn't make you a superior person to everyone else. Shame on you!

Proud To Be American Owned and Operated
Old 07-22-2014, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
Well, he said early on that he did SEO / internet marketing for a living and it was "slow". IF he is that hard up he should be able to build a good web page that ranks well in the search engines and pick up plenty of clients to keep him and his honda push mower busy. Not trying to knock the guy, I guess he's trying. We all gotta start somewheres. However, if he really is or was in the internet marketing biz, I think his website would be a little better than that.

i think he works in the same area as the yard boy on here, and i thought that guy was doing well, even though i haven't seen him on here in a while.
Not sure why people nock my Honda, it is a nice mower. What I like best about it is the handle-bar folds down so it fits nicely in the back of my SUV. It is also made of a light Nexite so I can lift it without throwing my back out. It also received good reviews on this website so I trusted people here knew what they were talking about. From what I've read, there is not a push mower better in the market. Then again, it is a $700 mower. I got it for $460 brand new out the door in Franklin, TN.

As for my website, I just bought the name and put my flyer on it. I've spent virtually no time on it as I've been doing more interactive advertising. I plan on hitting that hard this winter. Even considering doing contract jobs and chasing down commercial clients.

People laugh at my setup, but I'm not the type of person to go $70,000 in debt so I can go buy a new fleet of trucks, mowers, equipment and hire small crews. I'd rather start off small and learn on the job. And trust me, I learn new things about mowing grass everyday!

And yes, Nashville is too far. I'm only service my town. I've turned away prospects that require travel. Next year might be different, but I would be happy with about 8-12 jobs per week right now. Only have about $1600 invested in my equipment and advertising. My goal is to earn that back before the season ends. Next year I am going to hit this hard and make bank

Old 07-22-2014, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Fix your site now. If you're good at seo you can rank within a day or two
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2014, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quit saying make bank you sound like a weirdo
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2014, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Fix your site now. If you're good at seo you can rank within a day or two
Posted via Mobile Device
The first thing I have to do is keyword research using a tool called LongTailPRO, which I am a paying subscriber for as it makes life so much easier. And ranking those keywords in organic search takes longer than a day or two, much longer using white hat SEO. Depending on the competition, which appears to be competitive here in my area.

Maybe this weekend I'll set it up in Google Places, but been really busy the past week with my regular clients. The slow time of year in SEO is slowing turning around which is why I haven't been around on the forums in awhile. So I'm kinda juggling a lot right now. Hence why my goal is 8-12 mow jobs per week. I call it on-the-job training and don't want to get overwhelmed.

I wonder if I rank my site #1 in Google organic position if my phone will ring off the hook? Lol, I'm not ready for that just yet. On the flip side, with attaching flyers to door knobs, I get to see the yard and pick and choose which properties I want to service.

Closed Thread