Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-21-2014, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mine is an 03
Old 07-21-2014, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Two, 07 6.0. Both have EGR delete. Praying they will last till October. Getting new trucks before the end of tax year. May be switching to GMC
Old 07-22-2014, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
The majority of my issues have been injectors and other things, like STC or HPOP pumps that create a no start issue. Not the EGR problems, so no, I haven't.

Close to $8K after I had it rebuilt the second time after the turbo bearings went out and the engine seized. Fortunately all it needed was some head polishing and bearings, nothing else was damaged.

This truck will outplow a 7.3 all day long.
can't beat a cummins for the low end torque. not the fastest things on the planet but they'll sure pull
Old 07-22-2014, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhatch View Post
Anyone running the 6.0 Powerstroke and what have you done to keep them reliable?
In stock form the 6.0 is a hand grenade with the pin pulled. PROPERLY modified it is a very quiet and powerful diesel that'll run for 300,000 miles relatively trouble free. The basic design of the engine is superb. Better than the older 7.3. It was Navistar's poorly designed and rushed production emission system that causes them to cook in their own juices. Unfortunately so many stock form 6.0 engines puked their expensive guts out because of the emissions abortion that it's name will never be anything but mud. Having owned and run my own repair shop for years I would not hesitate to buy one if the price was right cause I know what's needed to correct the issues once and for all.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dodge had a lot of problems with emissions systems too until they went to a DEF system, and that's still too new to pass judgement on yet. Mainly turbos sooting up and DPF clogging on the dodges, resulting in engines that ran poorly and went into limp mode. Also issues with "making oil" and horrible fuel economy due to the way they chose to regen the dpf. IMO when it comes to diesel emissions controls Chevy is the only one who got it somewhat right from the start. Ford and Dodge it seems waited till the last minute to R&D their systems and the consumers paid the price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2014, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think the ford 6.7 is pretty solid.. The only reason Chevy got it right is they've been working on that engine since 2002? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2014, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I think the ford 6.7 is pretty solid.. The only reason Chevy got it right is they've been working on that engine since 2002? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
It only took ford 3 motors to get it right lol. Thats exactly why Chevy got it right, they didn't waste any time once they found out that emissions requirements would become stricter on diesels. Automakers knew years in advance that they had to clean up diesels by XX date
Old 07-23-2014, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
It only took ford 3 motors to get it right lol. Thats exactly why Chevy got it right, they didn't waste any time once they found out that emissions requirements would become stricter on diesels. Automakers knew years in advance that they had to clean up diesels by XX date
7.3 had a few issues, but it was and is a good solid engine. If it wasn't for the wonderful EPA, it would still be around.

I used to have 3 6.0's and 2 7.3's. I now have one 6.0 and 4 7.3's. Can't wait for the day I get rid of my last one.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 07-23-2014, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
The ONLY reason Chevy got it right is because they turned the whole project over to Isuzu Diesel. They designed it and they designed the totally new factory in which the Dmax units roll off the assembly line. Isuzu's gas engines are nothing to brag about but they are on the cutting edge of diesel engines and have been for a long time.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Running an 06 F350 6.0 all stock with just a coolant filter. Have over 237k on mine and no problems.
30 years in business