Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-22-2014, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Member

To the OP, could you show us a full pic of the rack mounted to your trailer so I can see exactly what RussellB and Mowingman are referring to. I'm sure I know what they mean (one leg mounted on floor and the other on the rail) but I like the design of the Jungle Jim Pro mate I think its called and am thinking about getting one...or having my welder make one similar to that. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree that may be a solution but his model is way too short for that to happen and the trimmer parts to not hit the trailer sides. They were installed per the manufacturer's instructions.

www.JonsLawnsMD.com
Old 07-22-2014, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I see the point you are making. It looks like you did just what the instructions said. I take back my comment above.
This single tool rack is a poory designed and/or poorly manufactured product. It will shake like crazy on that top rail mounting position when it has a trimmer in it. It is not "if" a structural failure will occur, it is just a question of "how long till" it occurs.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
I see the point you are making. It looks like you did just what the instructions said. I take back my comment above.
This single tool rack is a poory designed and/or poorly manufactured product. It will shake like crazy on that top rail mounting position when it has a trimmer in it. It is not "if" a structural failure will occur, it is just a question of "how long till" it occurs.
With that said, it is up to the user to assure the product is safe. If and when that style rack falls off into traffic the costs will be far higher than purchasing a more expensive safe rack. I am not knocking the OP, it is however pretty easy to see that rack is an accident waiting to happen.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just look at the gauge of the metal on the base plates very pathetic and dangerous for the manufacturer to put out, it looks like it's barely over a 1/16th thick

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 07-22-2014, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLawn View Post
Last Fall I bought a single Jungle Jim trimmer rack for my trailer. It attached and held the trimmer well. I liked the design. I thought the construction was a bit light and the welds were not very good, almost tack welds.

This spring after a couple of months I saw the welds holding the rack to the base breaking. I brought it to a welder and he re-welded all around the racks, commented on the weak construction and said the new welds would hold. Great.

Then just last week I noticed new cracks, now through the base that hold the rack to the trailer. With a few wiggles the entire base cracked and the rack came right off of the trailer. At least I wasn't on the highway going 60mph and my trimmer goes through someone's windshield!

I contacted Jungle Jim with this information - they have a 2 year warranty and I only had this for 6 months.
They said that because I had a weld put on the rack the warranty was void!

This is no way to treat a customer in this business. I suggest steering clear of Jungle Jim.
Actually, that is exactly how any business would respond.
They should have had first crack at making things right. You can't fault them for not honoring the warranty after you "altered" the product.

I'll stay away from them because it looks like an inferior product - not because of their response to you.

Really glad for you that that didn't come off in transit!
Old 07-23-2014, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah do yourself a favor and get one of these http://www.trailerracks.com/trimmerracks.html

Galvanize is extremely durable as I mentioned above and these are the best out there for protecting your equip. from damage and theft.

They also offer extension to mount on trailer frame for added support

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)