Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-22-2014, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
I tend to agree with this statement.
Some HOAs are bad, most aren't. I've served on several architectual boards. I like the fact that common areas are maintained, security provided and people can't rob the community of property value with foolish decisions. There is an actual sense of community. Any bylaw can be waived by a simple request. The fees are very reasonable. I like knowing I will never see a home with foot tall weeds and appliances in the front yard. If its not your thing there's far more non hoa home areas to live.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2014, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't mind a hoa if the houses were more than 20 feet apart. I hate everything being so close together in all of our hoas
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2014, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Some HOAs are bad, most aren't. I've served on several architectual boards. I like the fact that common areas are maintained, security provided and people can't rob the community of property value with foolish decisions. There is an actual sense of community. Any bylaw can be waived by a simple request. The fees are very reasonable. I like knowing I will never see a home with foot tall weeds and appliances in the front yard. If its not your thing there's far more non hoa home areas to live.
Posted via Mobile Device
to me this means i do not have the freedom to do what i want so as long as i am not infringing on someone elses freedom for safety.

I couldnt live in a HOA, I would go to hell for using the F word every day.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This year picture of my wife's yard.

Name:  IMAG0499.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  85.5 KB
Old 07-22-2014, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
to me this means i do not have the freedom to do what i want so as long as i am not infringing on someone elses freedom for safety.

I couldnt live in a HOA, I would go to hell for using the F word every day.
What exactly would you want to do that a reasonable neighborhood would frown on?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2014, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I wouldn't mind a hoa if the houses were more than 20 feet apart. I hate everything being so close together in all of our hoas
Posted via Mobile Device
Depends on the community. I live on a cul de sac. No traffic. No back neighbor and more open property on the backside. Odd pie shape though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2014, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
What exactly would you want to do that a reasonable neighborhood would frown on?
Posted via Mobile Device
I would like to paint my front door and shutters a nice forest green. (No not John Deere Green ) It isn't allowed on my street. But the street right behind me is allowed to use that same green. My neighbor was forced to trim back a shading bush from his window. The bush was already well maintained. He purposefully trained the bush to grow in front of the window to provide that shade. The bush was entirely on his property with no overhang onto any neighboring properties.

My boss received a nasty letter threatening action from the HOA board if he didn't remove weeds that were too tall from his property. He was awfully confused since he takes great pride in his property. After a lot of back and forth, the HOA representative came out and pointed to his bean plants in his garden. My boss had to point that the bylaws specifically allowed for garden plants on a homeowners property.

Now maybe your HOA is not full of Nazis, but where I am from they are. And the sad thing is that where I am at, you can't throw a stick in the county without hitting a property that has an HOA. And currently I need my full time job to pay the bills and to move out of an HOA area, I would have a very long commute of over an hour. I wouldn't have an issue with HOAs if they stuck to what they were originally designed to handle. The communal areas of the association. But I am very frustrated with their encroachment on property rights of the individual.

/rant
Old 07-22-2014, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Depends on the community. I live on a cul de sac. No traffic. No back neighbor and more open property on the backside. Odd pie shape though.
Posted via Mobile Device
I know, but it seems like every year they're getting closer together. The older neighborhoods have more space. As well at the $1m+ neighborhoods

Personally I want a country house. 10 acres or so
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2014, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair View Post
I would like to paint my front door and shutters a nice forest green. (No not John Deere Green ) It isn't allowed on my street. But the street right behind me is allowed to use that same green. My neighbor was forced to trim back a shading bush from his window. The bush was already well maintained. He purposefully trained the bush to grow in front of the window to provide that shade. The bush was entirely on his property with no overhang onto any neighboring properties.

My boss received a nasty letter threatening action from the HOA board if he didn't remove weeds that were too tall from his property. He was awfully confused since he takes great pride in his property. After a lot of back and forth, the HOA representative came out and pointed to his bean plants in his garden. My boss had to point that the bylaws specifically allowed for garden plants on a homeowners property.

Now maybe your HOA is not full of Nazis, but where I am from they are. And the sad thing is that where I am at, you can't throw a stick in the county without hitting a property that has an HOA. And currently I need my full time job to pay the bills and to move out of an HOA area, I would have a very long commute of over an hour. I wouldn't have an issue with HOAs if they stuck to what they were originally designed to handle. The communal areas of the association. But I am very frustrated with their encroachment on property rights of the individual.

/rant
Ya know, when you stop paying your mortgage it can take a year before they can actually kick you out, and then they will give you 2 grand to leave and take your stuff with you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2014, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I also live in a court, no traffic and fairly quiet in an HOA community. When I moved here in 2005 and after attending a couple HOA meetings I quickly realized that the old folks here were playing Nazi king and very loosely with the bylaws. I decided to change that and ran for office. I was voted in as a director and became the HOA president six years ago. I have since lowered our already low HOA fees and cleaned up many areas in the community that were HOA responsibility. If you don't like the culture of an HOA you do have a remedy....run for office and get like minded people to run with you. This is probably the last year that I will volunteer my time to the HOA but I will stay active in the community.