Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 07-22-2014, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Raptor SD 60" rattles and adjustments

I have owned my RSD for a few weeks now and overall I am very impressed with the machine. The power, handling and cut quality have been outstanding.

My biggest complaint with the machine has been the rattles and noises.

1) I know Hustler is looking at the clutch rattle situation already and there is another thread started so I'll leave that one alone for now.

2) I had a low hollow plastic type noise that was most obvious at low RPM. At first I suspected the air filter cover but I found it was actually the filter itself vibrating against the bottom of the housing it sits in. I rectified this with a small piece of foam rubber attached under the filter to absorb the impact. Works great

3) I identified metallic rattle coming from the right side of the machine. After feeling around I found it was the deck catch. The metal piece that catches the deck when you put it all the way up in the transport position. There are 4 thick washer and the bracket on this mount with A LOT of slop. For a quick fix I installed a rubber washer from a garden hose I had laying around. It provide just enough compression to keep the noise down but still allows the lever to fall into place when you raise the deck x2

4) The final adjustment I made was to the discharge chute. I felt like it was pointing too far down with the outer edge dragging in the grass if I was cutting the grass over 3". I don't like the idea of bypassing this safety feature with a bungee cord and holding it all the way up. On my old mower I had tried to hold the chute partially up with a bungee and found it bounced a lot. Instead, I came up with the idea of installing a bolt as shown in the picture. I belive the bolt is a 5/16" and it actually threaded in perfect. By adjusting the bolt in and out I was able to get the chute raise about 1.5" and my clumping problems are gone! I am afraid the bolt will start to wear into the edge of chute from the vibration so I am looking at reinforcing that edge with a thin piece of sheet metal or shim stock. x3

I am not sure if these ideas are new. maybe someone else has something similiar, or better, in place. For now these are working for me.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Sponsor

Thank you, I will pass most of this along. I say most because playing with the discharge chute is a no-no. I understand the issue you see with that chute down and the grass discharge. But we have to follow guidelines put in place by the fed's dealing with discharge/ Those blades are spinning over 200mph and can throw an object farther than I can. We produce those units within the standards and suggest they stay that way. The other ideas are sound! Thank you for your input.

Brian O
Old 07-22-2014, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds good Brian! One note, a better solution for item #3 would be a wave washer or possible fiber washers. I was just going with what I had around house.

Any news on the clutch rattle fix?
Old 07-22-2014, 07:04 PM
Sponsor

Just bandaids for now but getting close. got briefed by an engineer today that we are close.

Brian O
Old 07-28-2014, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Clutch rattle

My dealer states that he put on the most recent solution for the clutch rattle, when I purchased the unit. I believe it was the longer bolt and washers. However, the rattle that happens when my mower deck is engaged is driving me nuts. As soon as I shut the clutch off the rattle is gone. Am I missing something? Is there a more recent correction for this I've had the mower back to the dealer twice with no resolve. I've only had this mower for less than 2 months I just hit 10 hours on it and getting really frustrated. Hauling this back and forth to the dealer is not very convenient Granted it is not the cost of a commercial mower, but it is still a fair amount of money to pay and still have all of these nuisance issues to deal with. I had all of the other rattle items listed above as well as the safety flap clumping.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:27 AM
Sponsor

There are a few units that the clutch rattles because of a air gap in the anchor. It will have no harm to you machine. Our engineers are closing in on a complete fix. You can check back to the forum or your dealer in a couple of weeks.

Brian O