Old 07-21-2014, 06:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I figured this is crab grass??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2014, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Here is some good info from UMass:https://extension.umass.edu/turf/man...hoots-vs-roots

As for irrigation; it's best to water deeply and infrequently. The idea is to get the soil wet down to the root system and then allow it time to dry out before watering again. Usually an inch of water is recommended for each watering. Every irrigation system is different. Measure yours by putting empty tuna cans on you lawn and time how long it takes to fill it up. How often you irrigate depends on soil type, sandy soil requires more frequent than clay soils. And my pet peeve is seeing irrigation during rainy days.
This type of watering only works if one's lawn has the ability to hold the water. Without knowing the gentlemans soil structure you are doing him a disservice telling him to water that way.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetone View Post
Any idea what this is? Its all over my lawn in the past week!

Can it be killed by weed-N-feed or by Weed-B-Gone, or does it have to be removed by hand?

Please let me know

Thanks guys
Don't worry about it. It will die off late sept. Be sure to reseed early sept or even late aug so when it does die off it will be filling in.

As far as how long to water you need to take a few things into the picture. amount of sun , soil structure and what size nozzles are in your sprinklers.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Don't worry about it. It will die off late sept. Be sure to reseed early sept or even late aug so when it does die off it will be filling in.

As far as how long to water you need to take a few things into the picture. amount of sun , soil structure and what size nozzles are in your sprinklers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2014, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

This is actually for my own lawn I'm not a landscaper.
Thanks for the advice guys
I changed out my sprinkler heads to rain bird impacts and increased the time in the more sun exposed areas. Does Lesco have sun exposed seed that does well in New England? HD only seems to have sun and shade mix

I figured the stuff in the picture above was crab grass and treated it with weed b gone
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2014, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
This type of watering only works if one's lawn has the ability to hold the water. Without knowing the gentlemans soil structure you are doing him a disservice telling him to water that way.
That is why inspecting the rootzone is so important... when you see how an irrigation event actually settles into a rootzone then you know exactly what you've accomplished...
The next step will be to see how long the soil stays moist enough... that is when the weather, environment and soil texture really make make the difference and a physical inspection of the soil a few days later will show you exactly what is going on below the surface...
I keep at 2 prong plugger in the truck for just that purpose... nothing fancy necessary but a quick look at the top 4" of the turf is priceless...
Old 07-22-2014, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetone View Post
This is actually for my own lawn I'm not a landscaper.
Thanks for the advice guys
I changed out my sprinkler heads to rain bird impacts and increased the time in the more sun exposed areas. Does Lesco have sun exposed seed that does well in New England? HD only seems to have sun and shade mix

I figured the stuff in the picture above was crab grass and treated it with weed b gone
Posted via Mobile Device
They have plenty of full sun varieties. My personal favorites is 50/50 (rye/blue) and eagle+blue (70tri-rye,30blue). I would bring in a sample of what you already have, they will look at it and tell you what it is so that you don't end up with patches of a different variety.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2014, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What are of Mass are you in?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2014, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenI.A. View Post
What are of Mass are you in?
Posted via Mobile Device
MetroWest