Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-21-2003, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Leaf removal signs- response rate? and removal rate?

I just got 25 nice leaf removal signs made. I'm not sure how many i should put out. I do this part time, so when the time changes i will be limited to sat and sunday for leaves. I have 2 questions.
1. If i put out 15 or so, will i be swamped with more than i can do in a weekend?
2. I put a couple out this weekend and 1 was gone the next day. Does this happen a lot or do I need make sure I have permission with someone before I put a sign near a gas station, etc? THe only problem with this is that owners are not usually there.

thanks
Old 10-21-2003, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As far as the signs disappearing, expect that to happen. Either people do not want to have your signs out there if you didn't ask, or some slimy competition decides that they don't want you advertising! Either way, it's best to ask if you are putting on private property, or continue to place in busy areas you get responses from. Ask when people call where they saw your sign to get an idea of good places to put them.

As far as putting too many out, I wouldn't worry about that. I would maybe pick about 5 corners, and place them there. When you get calls, bid accordingly to how busy you are, and what you can handle. If you need the work, try to bid a little more conservatively to get the business. If you start to get swamped, bid a little higher to see if the market will pay the inflated prices. If they do, great, go bust your hump for a few more dollars. If not, you still already have enough business to not let it affect you.

Either way, you want to have the final say in if you want to do the work or not. You don't want to be in the situation where you say to yourself, "well, I have to do this, because I NEED the business" this way you can set your prices, and never have to haggle.

Anyways, good luck, and let us all know how the signs work.
Also, post a pic of one so we can get a look, and give some advice for next time!
Old 10-21-2003, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will take a pic tonite and post one.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah....I would like to see pics also. I have received 50 blank signs, the "H" stakes and screen. I am going to screen print my own this winter, for next season. I have heard of others having very good responses using signs.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 10-23-2003, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry it took so long for the pic. I just got my first job yesterday from the signs. Right now i only have two out. I will put more out in a couple of days.

Old 10-23-2003, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Houston We have a problem
Old 10-23-2003, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What's the problem?
Old 10-23-2003, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The pic didnt come up. lol Try posting it again
Old 10-23-2003, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

This is the leaf sign I had made. I put out 50 of them, and about 90% have been taken down so far. And I've gotten about 10 calls off them. I definitely don't believe they were profitable, but so far this year I haven't had a real good response from any of my advertising from leaves. I'm not sure why. A lot of leaves fell early this year, and with the warm weather a lot of people are getting out and doing it themselves, I think. Leaves are very strange around here. Some years people call and call and call for work. Some years I get Nothing. I think it depends on the weather a lot, and I think the economy this year isn't helping. The first year I was in business, I put up just a few fliers and got a ton of response. Made more money off leaves than I did mowing that year. The next year with more advertising, I got 3 jobs. So I just don't know anymore.

Attached Images