Register free!

Old 07-25-2014, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Gator Base

Has anyone had the opportunity to use the alliance gator base? Ive been contemplating using it but I am a little skeptical. If anyone has any reviews they would share I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

We recently put a 100 sf display of the Gator Base in our store to help our contractors evaluate the product.

The material was extremely easy to work with and did save time. It took two of us three hours to install sand, install base, install pavers, cut pavers, install edge restraint and install poly sand (we dug out for 3" the previous day).

In terms of a time saver, they are right on with that. I will have to monitor it to see how well it holds up long term

Trying to upload pictures, but not having success. Will upload as soon as possible.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow. Hopefully it holds up. Ive got 2 jobs im hoping i can try it on....if i can convince them to be guinea pigs so to speak
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2014, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Would be worth trying as long as they know you can't give a long term guarantee.

Nice option for a family member or a job you need to get done quickly.

Just sold some to a contractor who had limited access behind a town home. He loved it.
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2014, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for posting a picture. I called Alliance for a sample, which they said they would send, but I havent received it yet. So still being inquisitive I contacted my block supplier, got a call back the next day. Theyre selling it at $2.50 a square foot. Doing the math, it was a little higher than stone base but if the labor hours are reduced I could probably live with it.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Member

You are paying more for the Gator Base than the stone. We sell it for $2.25 a SF. In terms of direct cost, it will cost more to use the Gator Base. But it will save time. Each contractor will have to crunch his own numbers to see if there truly is a savings with the Gator Base.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2014, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I know you mentioned you installed the restraints and poly sand. Did you use their brand?
Old 08-05-2014, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Where is the time savings? It looks like you still have to do all the base prep work- Looks redundant to me- but what do I know, I'm just a lighting guy.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 08-05-2014, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Member

We used the Alliance Gator Maxx poly sand for overlays. We carry the Dymex brand of edge restraint.

You still have to excavate, but only 3-4 inches...much better than the typical 8-10 inches we would normally do here in southeastern PA. Since there is no 2a modified stone base in this system, you don't have to spend hours of labor moving in tons of stone and you don't have to spend the labor to compact every 2 inches. The time to install the Gator Base system is a significant time savings over using crushed stone. Stone bases can take 1/2 to a full day to move stone and compact. Still doing base work, just not as much.

Kind of like the difference between replacing a bulb that burnt out versus replace the whole fixture .
Old 08-05-2014, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ah, so your reducing your base depth by using the panels that disperse the load above more evenly. Now it makes sense. Having built my fair share of patios and driveways in the past, it makes sense. I guess it remains to be seen if it really stands up over time and particularly, heavy, vehicular traffic (or maybe its not rated for that?!?)

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com