Register free!

Old 07-25-2014, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Is Golf In the Dumps?

The annual golf-is-in-the-crapper story is here (although there are a few of them this week). What do you think?

http://time.com/money/3007501/tiger-...golf-industry/
Old 07-25-2014, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Accurate. Dick's Sporting Goods just laid off 560 PGA Pros from the Golf Department.

Mostly older people playing. No new Golf Course Construction, to speak of. Over 100 Golf Courses closed this year.

It's too hard to play. Kick Golf? 15" Cup Golf? Takes too long. Elitist. Equipment sales down.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its not in the dumps, but the fad is wearing off because tiger is not on tv as much. Fads come and go based on marketing, ie LA Law spiked law school enrollments, Chris Money spiked poker, but the dedicated support their cause.
I don't know how many times in the last few years I saw people on golf courses look like they were clubbing rabbits instead of trying to hit a golf ball. They thought it was the in thing to "play" golf. Translated, they make everyone's day miserable. Good riddens to the fad riders.
On to the next fad
Old 07-25-2014, 05:51 PM

I wouldn't be counting on Tiger to save the day. Looks like his body is about done with being Superman
Old 07-25-2014, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ztman sounds like an elitist. Many people play golf for years and just can't break that 85-90 mark. They spend tons of money on equipment, lessons and rounds but just never quite get it. If a "fad" golfer wants to play some rounds I say have at it. Just learn some etiquette and have fun. Golf is not dying at least not in my area.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There are signs of trouble locally. A very nice golf course, Crooked Creek, in the Raleigh area is in financial trouble and is up for sale. This is a very challenging course in a golf community and I played it several years ago, really enjoyed it even though I got my butt kicked. Check out some of the course photos here:

http://www.playcrookedcreek.com/
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The economy is the biggest factor, people don't have the money. I have noticed green have come down some.

The industry has a whole propped up Tiger Woods and did nothing too promote the game itself.

The equiptment has made the professional players look and play the same. The courses have become so long that its no longer practicle for a weekend golfer too play a tournament course. And the older courses have become obsolete.

As far as the youth getting into the game, I see the scores of high school players and they are unbelievable.

I don't hardly play anymore, its no fun shooting 85 and its hard too run a lawn business at 50 without doing extra walking.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i know a friend of mine who joined a country club a few years ago paid $25k to join and like 6k a year for dues. the same membership today can be purchased for just 5k a year in dues because they are hurting so bad. hes pissed, but oh well...
Old 07-26-2014, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It is for me I have lost that loving feeling.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintNoFun View Post
i know a friend of mine who joined a country club a few years ago paid $25k to join and like 6k a year for dues. the same membership today can be purchased for just 5k a year in dues because they are hurting so bad. hes pissed, but oh well...
There was a club that opened up here in the late 1990s and had a 10k membership. They now take tee time for the general public.

Back In the day a Membership would go up in value.