Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-20-2014, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I bought my RedMax trimmer about ten years ago I got a pretty good sized spool of RedMax .095. At that point I didn't know there was any difference in trimmer line. As I recall, the RedMax line served me well, but didn't last long at full speed against concrete or bricks.

Concrete and bricks is where the stihl Xline seems to last longer than other line I've tried. Again, to be fair though, I've only used .105 stihl line. In smaller size it might be no better than anything else.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Member

to save line i just slow the rpm a bit on concrete/brick/block
Old 07-20-2014, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I switched to .95 echo crossfire love it

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 07-20-2014, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntide View Post
I switched to .95 echo crossfire love it

That's funny you like the Crossfire. I don't know if I just got a bad one out of the bunch, possibly an old stock unit, or something that was in the weather? I bought a whole spool of Echo crossfire and I kid you not, it bit the trashcan. It did fine for trimming, but when trying to edge it was a hunk of junk and would break constantly. Like I said, it could have been a bad one in the bunch.

I use .80 from Tractor Supply (Green Line) on one trimmer for Bermuda and stringy grasses. I use the Heavy Duty .95 Yellow Line from home depot on everything else. (St. Augustine, Edging, Etc.) I've experimented with nearly all of them, and that Heavy Duty trimmer line is easily accessible, two minute drive to replace when I run out, and HAS NEVER broke on me edging, trimming against chain links, brick, concrete, and so forth.

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
That's funny you like the Crossfire. I don't know if I just got a bad one out of the bunch, possibly an old stock unit, or something that was in the weather? I bought a whole spool of Echo crossfire and I kid you not, it bit the trashcan. It did fine for trimming, but when trying to edge it was a hunk of junk and would break constantly. Like I said, it could have been a bad one in the bunch.

I use .80 from Tractor Supply (Green Line) on one trimmer for Bermuda and stringy grasses. I use the Heavy Duty .95 Yellow Line from home depot on everything else. (St. Augustine, Edging, Etc.) I've experimented with nearly all of them, and that Heavy Duty trimmer line is easily accessible, two minute drive to replace when I run out, and HAS NEVER broke on me edging, trimming against chain links, brick, concrete, and so forth.
All I use is the crossfire too. I used stihl x-line originally but seemed to use it quick and the cost is crazy for it. I have never had a problem with the crossfire. It edges good and trims anything I throw at it. I have never broke any. When I bought a new stihl weedeater over a month ago, I used the string that was in it and that stuff was junk. I was bumping the head constantly because it was eating it up so quick. I went through that spool in 2 days I think. Normally I get 2 weeks out of a spool of crossfire and that is using it around chain link, brick, concrete, rock. Never has failed me. I cant compare to anything else besides the stihl line.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post

I like it so much I downsized from .105 ugly line (throwing to many rocks / debris), not had a issue with it myself

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 07-21-2014, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really like the husquavarna .95 titanium line. I absolutely HATE the Echo stuff.
Honda 21 HR 215
Honda 21 HRC 216 (2)
Stihl Kombi 90 w/ Attatchments
Stihl Kombi 110
Shindaiwa 242 (with hedge attachment)
Shindaiwa 22T Trimmer (3)
Echo 225 Edger
Stihl BR400 Blower (2)
Stihl BR600 Blower
Red Max 2600 Blower
Stihl HS 46CE Hedge Trimmer
Honda Pressure Washer
Honda FG110 Tiller
Echo Chainsaw
Earthway 2150 Spreader
etc.......
Old 07-24-2014, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Speaker wire! Lol joke. I did use speaker wire in a pinch way back in the days when my trimmer ran out and I realized the trimmer line was in another truck. Square gator line for me. Lasts the longest and has never broken on me. End of the day I can use anything but gator is what I like.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2014, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know this has been beat to death, but after trying a donut of just about every string on the market I always come back to 0.080" round Gatorline.

My take on line shape (from worst to best):
- star: cuts great, tends to snap, high wind and noise, wears out quickly
- x-line: cuts good, does not flex well, makes a lot of noise, can get stuck on spool
- twisted: low noise and highly flexible, but tends to snap and can get stuck on spool
- square: cuts great, tends to chew up the eyelets, wobbles / does not flex well
- pentagon/hex: somewhat noisy, no real benefit to round line
- round: good flexibility, cuts and feeds well, easy to spool, durable, "dull" above .105
- quiet: same as round, barely lower in noise

The issue with other profiles is mainly the fact that after a few yards of trimming the tip (which does most of the cutting) becomes ... err ... round. The "sharper" profile is thus not doing anything other than causing more engine drag, more noise, eating away the eyelets and getting stuck if crosswound in the head. Sharp profiles only make sense on larger lines (>.105) where a big round profile is too "dull" to cut effectively.

My take on line size (for trimming), worst to best:
- .130": too stiff, throws rocks, debarks trees and rips up the grass, engine drag
- .065": too weak, only good for electric homeowner machines
- .105": good for weed and brush but still too "dull" for regular trimming
- .095": very good compromise between "sharpness" and durability
- .080": my personal favorite, highly flexible, cuts clean and allows a bigger swath

My main complaint with thicker line is poor quality of cut, the line is effectively "less sharp" and tears up the grass. Next problem is lack of flexibility, when you turn a trimmer upside-down you see a thin line runs flat, like ---, but a thick (specially square) line tends to wobble, like ><. Needless to say it won't cut as smooth and tends to periodically "grab the ground". Third complaint is wind or "blowdow", a thicker line moves more air, forcing the grass down. Tall Fescue can be a nightmare to trim with thick line when dry. Swing head over grass and nothing happens (grass is held below cutting line), lower still and it's just blown further down, a tad lower and all of the sudden the trimmer grabs and scalps. Another complaint with thick line is the "whoosh" noise. Finally, lines too thick can overload the engine or clutch. .080" and .095" are both really good and just a matter of personal preference

My take on line color, worst to best:
- red: string cut-offs can be seen on the grass
- yellow: leftover pieces of string can hardly be seen
- green: grass is also green and pieces of string can't be seen, ha!

My take on line manufacturer:
It's probably best to buy from a company that makes a living from cutting accessories and actually makes the stuff and not equipment manufacturers who usually (but not always) just redistribute it. That's why I prefer Oregon Gator to say Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, etc.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 07-25-2014, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A very informative, concise, and well thought out post...

Radical