Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-25-2014, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Need Advice

Hello, I am new to this site and new to the business. I am looking at buying a new zero turn, but wanted a professionals take on a couple of things.

1. EFI engines.....Are carb engines going to be a thing of the past? If efi engines are all the salesmen hype them up to be, it seems like carb engines will be obsolete. are the fuel savings really that substantial? Maintenance of carb vs efi?

2. rear discharge decks........the concept sounds good, but how is the cut and dispersal quality compared to side discharge?

3. finally.....i can get a 2014 Hustler super z demo with 8 hours out the door for 9100. it has the 27 hp kawasaki fx850. is this a deal worth buying, or should I get something fuel injected?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-26-2014, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

EFI is ok, nothing really negative or positive either way. I don't notice much of a fuel savings on my walker vs my scag tiger cats.

No clue on the rear discharge, never even seen one used around here(NH).

For $9100 does it have a bagging unit or us that just the mower? If so then yeah I'd buy that. If not I'd prob go test out a few Scags. You could get a brand new tiger cat 61" without a bagger for something like $9500. I've got two and like them a lot. Couple baffle design flaws but nothing major.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2014, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, I decided to pass on the unit. He came down to 8900 out the door, but I am thinking that I would be ultimately unhappy because I kind of have my heart set on an EFI. I have been interested in scags, but thought they would be out of my reach. Is a Tiger Cat equivelant to a Super Z as far as durability, pumps, spindles, etc? Thanks for the reply