Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-24-2014, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Member

poison ivy

What do you guys do when working around poison ivy? I wear gloves and try to wash off afterwards but I still seem to still get it all over me. I even wipe down the truck and the tools. It's got to be the most annoying thing there is to get on you. Itch itch scratch!! Each time I get it it seems worse, I used to be able to roll in it, not anymore!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:44 AM
Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries's Avatar
Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries is offline
Sponsor

Use "Ivy block" if you think your going to get into it. If you get into it or think you've gotten it use soap and water to wash it off within 2 hours of exposure. No soap and water? Use hand sanitizer, the alcohol breaks down the oil. If you get it use "Tecnu" to try to keep it under control. It helps keep it under control but it's still awful. Throw away any gloves once you get into it and bill jobs accordingly

It's a heck of a lot better to use precautions than deal with the 2-3 week burning and itching once you get it.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in all trucks... The alcohol kills the oil from the poison ivy. Highly reduced our poison ivy outbreaks. Once you have it the sanitizer also will dry it out quickly and really reduce the irritation. Ohhhh and it buuuurrrnnns so good!
Old 07-25-2014, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boucherlawn View Post
I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in all trucks... The alcohol kills the oil from the poison ivy. Highly reduced our poison ivy outbreaks. Once you have it the sanitizer also will dry it out quickly and really reduce the irritation. Ohhhh and it buuuurrrnnns so good!
When do you use it? Right after you believe you have encountered the Poison Ivy? At the end of the day? Or, after you already have an outbreak, and the sanitizer is a remedy for spreaking and itch?
Old 07-25-2014, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
When do you use it? Right after you believe you have encountered the Poison Ivy? At the end of the day? Or, after you already have an outbreak, and the sanitizer is a remedy for spreaking and itch?
If he have worked in it, around it, within sight of it we will usually try and hose off (using customer spicket) either right after contact or every once in a while if you are working in it consistently and then once large debris and dirt has been rinsed off we lather in sanitizer... My foreman has tried to combine steps by keeping Clorox Bleach wipes under his seat and will wipe arms and legs immediately after contact. Our method isnt full propf but really has cut down... Been a good few years since I really had it good. Every once in a while ya get a patch or 2 on fingers, ankles, etc... But overall very helpful.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2014, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What do I do? I stay the eff away from it.

I have a job I'm dropping next season in part because of the poison ivy infestation. They aren't interested in nuking it from orbit and I'm not interested in pushing my luck any longer. I mow around it along the property line where it's creeping out into the grass. Looks like crap, but I'm not getting that crap on my mower.

I get little spots of it around my ankles (shorts) from trimming and catching a leaf once in a while, but avoidance is my best strategy - that stuff messes me up.