Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2014, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Member

21/30 inch mowers as main mowers

Last year there was a good post on this subject about those using only small mowers and those thinking about switching to it. I was wondering how it was going for those already using small mowers and for those thinking about it did you change and if so how is it going this year? Last year we changed to using all 30 inch exmarks. It started off rough with tranny problems, but ended well. This year it's gone really well. Last year we switched to half acre and down lawns. We use to have lazer ztr's and hydro walk behinds. The change was really good for us. How is with the rest of you?
Old 07-27-2014, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSantor View Post
Last year there was a good post on this subject about those using only small mowers and those thinking about switching to it. I was wondering how it was going for those already using small mowers and for those thinking about it did you change and if so how is it going this year? Last year we changed to using all 30 inch exmarks. It started off rough with tranny problems, but ended well. This year it's gone really well. Last year we switched to half acre and down lawns. We use to have lazer ztr's and hydro walk behinds. The change was really good for us. How is with the rest of you?
What benefits did you get from the change? Were at a crossroads with current equipment. Currently using only walk behinds and one push. We either need to get ztrs to make larger lawns more profitable or we need to stick to only small lots
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2014, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Next year I'm going to launch a 3rd mowing crew that has only 21/30" mowers. 2 of each to be best equipt for most small to medium sized lawns. I've noticed that the 30 is what my guys want to use if it's available, but a 21 is still needed often enough and is a mower that can be carried. A 30 isn't the best thing to carry!

We love our 36" hydro WBs, but at a price. They're a must for a lot of our hilly properties though! A 30 is not a hillside machine for sure. A 21 can go anywhere, but it's not nearly as productive.

They're very cost effective. The cost of 2 21s and 2 30s is the same as buying on 36" hydro WB! So it's easy to fund this growth. I hope that it all works out next year through...
Toro Turfmaster 30" (2)
Toro 21" Proline (6)
Walker MT EFI 48" GHS (1)
Echo Trimmers, Blowers, & Saws
Hiniker and Cycle Country Plows
Old 07-27-2014, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSantor View Post
We use our 30" exmark on small lawns up to about 3,000 square foot lawns. Anything larger than that and we usually use a 50" z or a 48" viking on them. Sometimes we use a combination of machines on a lawn. I would not want to cut a half acre with a 30" , unless the customer wants to pay a premium for that.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Doing only 30". So far the best move I have ever made. I finally mowed a lot of wet thick grass the other day and the mower brought it's A game. Very profitable machine.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My hats off to you guys that only use these mowers. My guys do rock, paper, scissors to see who gets stuck doing the very few spaces a 21 is needed. I would shoot myself in the face before doing 4k of turf in this heat walking the mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2014, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a exmark commercial 30 and a 48inch walk behind. I love them no rutted up yards. I only work for people who appreciate the quality. It's helped our bottom line very well also
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2014, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland Lawn View Post
Next year I'm going to launch a 3rd mowing crew that has only 21/30" mowers. 2 of each to be best equipt for most small to medium sized lawns. I've noticed that the 30 is what my guys want to use if it's available, but a 21 is still needed often enough and is a mower that can be carried. A 30 isn't the best thing to carry!

We love our 36" hydro WBs, but at a price. They're a must for a lot of our hilly properties though! A 30 is not a hillside machine for sure. A 21 can go anywhere, but it's not nearly as productive.

They're very cost effective. The cost of 2 21s and 2 30s is the same as buying on 36" hydro WB! So it's easy to fund this growth. I hope that it all works out next year through...
Im doing the same thing next year. Crew 5 will be ALL 21 push (hoping to get 30s for next year)

1) so i can optimize the investment of the more expensive mowers to do more of what they are designed for and
2) because I can use less trained/experience guys who tend to rotate more often
3) so I can sell more small lawn work with much less investment.

Hoping to have 2-3 mini lawn crews (21/30)
2-3 mixed residential crews (48 rider/36 wb)
and 2 commercial/large lawn crews (1 with two riders, 1 with a rider and two wbs)

Once I get there (6-8 mow crews) I will likely stop growing and only sell new lawns that either A) replace less profitable lawns or B) buy other services than just mowing (and replace less profitable accounts)

but next years growth will begin with the mini 21/30 crew, for which I already have enough lawns, which will allow me to fill vacancies in the other lists with larger equipment.

Hope for two 30s next season.
dunno what Im going to buy for 21s. Im done with my disappointment in the hondas.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland Lawn View Post

may i ask how you like those toro proline 21s??

you have 6, how old are they and what is your maintenance/upkeep/downtime experience with them?
Old 07-27-2014, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

been thinking hard about scag 32" belt drive lately too.

but the price is nearly double of a 30" and we go back to having to train guys to use them instead of just walking behind them on day one.