Register free!

Old 07-26-2014, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
Ztman sounds like an elitist. Many people play golf for years and just can't break that 85-90 mark. They spend tons of money on equipment, lessons and rounds but just never quite get it. If a "fad" golfer wants to play some rounds I say have at it. Just learn some etiquette and have fun. Golf is not dying at least not in my area.
Not an elitist, I just appreciate the game and its history. The new fad golfers are kinda like the lowballers that people complain about. They get in for a short time, do some damage, and give up while hurting the legit people. Years ago I caddied at a local club that allowed caddies to play on monday. You came to appreciate the game when you come up through the ranks and were able to play the nice courses
Old 07-26-2014, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
Not an elitist, I just appreciate the game and its history. The new fad golfers are kinda like the lowballers that people complain about. They get in for a short time, do some damage, and give up while hurting the legit people. Years ago I caddied at a local club that allowed caddies to play on monday. You came to appreciate the game when you come up through the ranks and were able to play the nice courses
I remember "sneaking on" courses on Mondays. I think they have all been open on Mondays for years now.

I miss the days of 1 Irons and Persimmon Woods.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I can't understand why golf courses dump millions of gallons of water on courses that nobody plays at this time of year anyway.
They rip it up and overseed in a couple of months. Any ideas?
Old 07-27-2014, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ LawnSprinklerDrip View Post
I can't understand why golf courses dump millions of gallons of water on courses that nobody plays at this time of year anyway.
They rip it up and overseed in a couple of months. Any ideas?
Because if you don't have greens no one plays.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

So then just water the greens. But those get over seeded in Sept. /Oct. too. I am not a golfer so I really don't know the intricacies of it. One client I have lives on Wigwam GC, Another on Palm Valley GC. Another on Raven @ Verrado, I have seen 1 golfer in the last month
Old 07-27-2014, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Golfers are stealthy.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I wouldn't be counting on Tiger to save the day. Looks like his body is about done with being Superman

But look at Rory, he's got a moment here to take it and run with it. First, being in a relationship with an international level competitor, then breaking it off, then winning the Claret at the Open. I know he's not American, but he's using his position to perk up golf.

Dufner has his chance right now too. We need to elevate a few of these players to celebrity status to get the general public's attention back.

And we are about to see the game played out internationally at the Olympics. Certainly that will give the game a new look as well.

Superintendent Magazine
Old 08-02-2014, 08:24 AM

We will just have to wait and see whether Rory can be another Jack Nicklaus or Tiger Woods. Jack also attracted many to watch and play golf. Jack also had better consistent competition ie Lee Trevino, Tom Watson, Kite, etc Golf is not the only games that are suffering lack of super stars. Both baseball and football are not churning them out either. In the old days baseball had Reggie Jackson, Babe Ruth, Hank Arron and many others. The NFL had Roger Staubach, Walter Payton, Too tall Jones, Randy White, Lawrence Taylor and many more. I watched teams from other cities just to see these Super Stars do their thing. Same thing with Tennis. I never watch Tennis now that John McEnroe. Jimmy Conners, Ivan Lendl and others are gone. Female tennis had its stars that attracted you watch too
Old 08-02-2014, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think it is just the opposite. There is so many superstars that very few can rise above that plateau.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It hit a spike in the late 90's and many courses were built. Too many in my opinion. Also keep in mind. Its a luxury and even thou the gvmt says otherwise, some parts of the country are still in a ressession.