Register free!

Old 07-30-2014, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My neighbor is an aging farmer. I will shoot em in his cow pens but that's about ut. I don't have a problem with guys who hunt them at all but I don't eat them, their hides aren't worth much any more and I don't feel like staying up all night waiting.

Now I stick to hunting animals that taste good, look good stuffed or have valuable pelts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-07-2014, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I started last year since I've seen more and more on the properties we bird hunt, and my dad's health is not the greatest so he can't handle long walks or sub 40* temps with his nueropothy.

Called for 2 months before getting my first. Getting done mfk mouth calls for this season.... Starting up again after crops are out.

Rolled this one on a dead sprint at about 40 yards with the MAK90 and irons. Called him in with a estrus call after 5 minutes of calling. Watched him come across a corn stubble field from 3-400 yards out.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2014, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I run dogs Calling is fun but its fun watching the dogs hunt for them
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2014, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkZ28 View Post
I started last year since I've seen more and more on the properties we bird hunt, and my dad's health is not the greatest so he can't handle long walks or sub 40* temps with his nueropothy.

Called for 2 months before getting my first. Getting done mfk mouth calls for this season.... Starting up again after crops are out.

Rolled this one on a dead sprint at about 40 yards with the MAK90 and irons. Called him in with a estrus call after 5 minutes of calling. Watched him come across a corn stubble field from 3-400 yards out.

Beside the fact you make me jealous as Hell. I have ask about the Rifle with the scope. It looks like it will reach out and touch someone. I am sure the scope costs as much as the Rifle?????

I have used a remote Electronic calls and even backed it up with a live Chicken or Rabbit tied out. But fact is my area has Turkey and wild Hog but not a lot of Coyote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
I run dogs Calling is fun but its fun watching the dogs hunt for them

Yep I am Jealous of your dogs also. Nothing like a good old Hound Dog/dogs. I have never had my own hunting dogs. But Years ago my neighbor had Dogs and we often ran Coon or Deer.

BTW I have a freezer full of Feral Hog. Florida is only second to Texas in Feral Hog population. I actually shoot Hogs 3 blocks from my house. There is a Wildlife Water Shed Reserve that backs up to my neighborhood. Neighbor on that street have a problem with Hogs tearing up their yards. I can pretty much shoot a hog any night I want.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Beside the fact you make me jealous as Hell. I have ask about the Rifle with the scope. It looks like it will reach out and touch someone. I am sure the scope costs as much as the Rifle?????

I have used a remote Electronic calls and even backed it up with a live Chicken or Rabbit tied out. But fact is my area has Turkey and wild Hog but not a lot of Coyote.

Yep I am Jealous of your dogs also. Nothing like a good old Hound Dog/dogs. I have never had my own hunting dogs. But Years ago my neighbor had Dogs and we often ran Coon or Deer.

BTW I have a freezer full of Feral Hog. Florida is only second to Texas in Feral Hog population. I actually shoot Hogs 3 blocks from my house. There is a Wildlife Water Shed Reserve that backs up to my neighborhood. Neighbor on that street have a problem with Hogs tearing up their yards. I can pretty much shoot a hog any night I want.

Do you or did you eat the coons
Old 10-14-2014, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Do you or did you eat the coons
Sorry for the late reply. Yes I have eaten coon. First you must boil it to make it tender. Then BBQ on the grill. Not my favorite food by any means, but I had to try it. The Black community demands coon and pay an average of $ 15.00 to $ 20.00. I would rather sell the coons than eat them. Even at $ 20.00 you can't make a profit selling coons.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 10-14-2014, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

Sorry for the late reply...thought I responded but obviously did not! That's my 'spotting rifle' or 'the dog hung up at 150 yds and I'm pulling a headshot' rifle .

The rifle is a Remington 597 in 22LR. About the only thing left 'stock' is the receiver and 'most' of the trigger group. I added a SS Remington target barrel with custom muzzle brake, Boyd's (Hometown Proud Mitchell, SD) Evolution SS stock in nutmeg finish, BSA Sweet 22 6x18x40 scope (BEST scope for this rifle by far- holds zero like one costing 4x) with a Mueller Sunshade, MCARBO spring kit, Volquartsen Extractor and Hammer with the hammer polished up to 3000 grit, freefloated and 'ghetto' bedded the stock with aluminum tape, additional buttpad from the MAK90's OG furniture, polished the guiderods and bolt up to 2000 grit, and added a Wally World clearance bipod 6-13". All the trigger work has it breaking at about 1.9lbs like a glass rod.

If I do my part, I can put down quarter to nickel sized groups at 50 yards. The scope has adjustable turrets based on bullet weight to 175yds, but it will consistently (for rimfire and ME) reach out to 225yds on a 4x6 steel with CCI ammo. Funny thing is I traded for the 22 with a Toro SRII that I bought as a trim mower for a week while I reringed the BBC Suzuki 2 stroke Toro I've mowed with since 91 when Dad bought it new .

Here's a picture with the factory stock and the Choate cheek rest from my MAK90 stock. Cheekpiece is meant for an optic and places your eye too far above the rear sight. On the plastic stock it was PERFECT for off hand shooting with the scope.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I recently bought a 3 x 9 x 40 Sweet 22 Scope with parallax adjustment and they are great. However I have it on a very old stock Marlin Model 60. While that gun is a tack driver I am sure your's is more actuate. I am actually thinking of buying an other sweet 22 for my 22 Magnum. I am thinking I can site in the parallax for 22 magnum instead of 22 LR real easy.

IMHO 22 LR is very under rated. I taken several wild hogs with a 22 LR. Of course head shots are the only way to take a Hog with a 22.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkZ28 View Post
Sorry for the late reply...thought I responded but obviously did not! That's my 'spotting rifle' or 'the dog hung up at 150 yds and I'm pulling a headshot' rifle .

The rifle is a Remington 597 in 22LR. About the only thing left 'stock' is the receiver and 'most' of the trigger group. I added a SS Remington target barrel with custom muzzle brake, Boyd's (Hometown Proud Mitchell, SD) Evolution SS stock in nutmeg finish, BSA Sweet 22 6x18x40 scope (BEST scope for this rifle by far- holds zero like one costing 4x) with a Mueller Sunshade, MCARBO spring kit, Volquartsen Extractor and Hammer with the hammer polished up to 3000 grit, freefloated and 'ghetto' bedded the stock with aluminum tape, additional buttpad from the MAK90's OG furniture, polished the guiderods and bolt up to 2000 grit, and added a Wally World clearance bipod 6-13". All the trigger work has it breaking at about 1.9lbs like a glass rod.

If I do my part, I can put down quarter to nickel sized groups at 50 yards. The scope has adjustable turrets based on bullet weight to 175yds, but it will consistently (for rimfire and ME) reach out to 225yds on a 4x6 steel with CCI ammo. Funny thing is I traded for the 22 with a Toro SRII that I bought as a trim mower for a week while I reringed the BBC Suzuki 2 stroke Toro I've mowed with since 91 when Dad bought it new .

Here's a picture with the factory stock and the Choate cheek rest from my MAK90 stock. Cheekpiece is meant for an optic and places your eye too far above the rear sight. On the plastic stock it was PERFECT for off hand shooting with the scope.

]
Nice Looking 22
I wouldn't brag to much on the groups at 50 yrds I do that with my Ruger 1022 open sites with 30rd clip in and its a plain jane gun

That 22 is Slow what is your FPS I wouldn't want shoot anything on the run be lucky to kill it
I have a Model 7 204 FPS is around 3800 it will group tight at 200 yrds At 200 yrds I can empty the gun on my prairie dog spinning target
Old 10-21-2014, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Nice Looking 22
I wouldn't brag to much on the groups at 50 yrds I do that with my Ruger 1022 open sites with 30rd clip in and its a plain jane gun

That 22 is Slow what is your FPS I wouldn't want shoot anything on the run be lucky to kill it
I have a Model 7 204 FPS is around 3800 it will group tight at 200 yrds At 200 yrds I can empty the gun on my prairie dog spinning target
22 can be a tack driver. However not all 22 are the same. My Remington 510 single shot rifle from the 1940's will punch a single hole in a target at any distances. As a kid with good eyes, I put a raised rear sight on it and shot 300 yds and over with it. Problem is the firing pin only works half the time now. I have spend more than the guns is worth on gunsmiths trying to fix it. Now only certain Ammo works in it.

My Marlin model 60 is a lot more accurate than my 10/22 which isn't all that bad. Fact is the Marlin model 60 is a cheap rifle sold in all the discount stores. While my 22 mag has more knock down, it isn't any where as accurate as a 22LR. But I have ordered an other sweet 22 3 X 9 scope for the 22mag to see if the scope will make a differences.