Register free!

Old 07-31-2014, 05:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Lawn View Post
Well, back to troubleshooting.
I replaced the MV and zone 1 valves. Just top and guts. That recommendation came via RB and JDL. The main line is still cut at the tee, only feeding zone 1. Same issue. Checked pressure, running at 56 psi, meter shows 10.76 gpm. Zone 1 has 12 4" pop ups, 4 at 180 open, 4 at 90 open and 4 that vary but nothing over 180 open.
I was told to by pass the meter with a jumper and try that. There seems to be a restriction somewhere. If it is not the meter the next thing is to dig up the pvc 3/4 ball valve before the BF, inspect.
This is keeping me on my toes. Main line is running underneath busy hwy where it is tied into a 16" main.
I wondering how long owner will put up with my trouble shooting? Huge customer!!
3/4" ball valve, kinda small for this app? Maybe not the main problem but not good.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
We haven't yet read just how the backflow preventer (make and model, please) was ruled out as a possible problem.
Boots,
I had the make and model written down, til I realized what is wiping my muddy hand with was the paper I had written it on, long day.
I cut the main line, before BF, spliced in a jumper and passed up the BF and MV. Same problem.
Going to pull Meter, jump the ball valve, BF, MV and zone 1 valve. If it is still weak, new tap, pit and meter may be in order.
After that, short of starting over, I think I have processed everything.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonrain View Post
Check for a pressure reducer on the main line, it could be in a box or not. Also check pressure via #1 test port on the backflow preventer.
I've posted earlier this summer, we have replaced many PRVs due to failure. Still give appropriate pressure, or even allowing high pressure, but volume/flow is limited. As london mentioned, Look for a PRV.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
City came out and did a pressure check and flow test with pressure.
17.44 GPM with a 48 PSI. Meter was clear. No curb stops or other valves for that meter.
Was the flow test with or without the meter in place? I've seen meters that worked well some of the time and caused a restriction part of the time.
If you're going to remove the meter and check the flow try just putting in a pipe, set to flow outside the meter pit, and open up the curb stop/valve to see how good the flow/pressure straight out of the meter connection.

Quote:
Called the local JDL searching for other clues. Cut mainline and isolated water flow to only one zone. Still weak.
Have you eliminated the possibility of the problem being in the mainline to the 1st valve?
Old 08-01-2014, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkus View Post
Was the flow test with or without the meter in place? I've seen meters that worked well some of the time and caused a restriction part of the time.
If you're going to remove the meter and check the flow try just putting in a pipe, set to flow outside the meter pit, and open up the curb stop/valve to see how good the flow/pressure straight out of the meter connection.

Have you eliminated the possibility of the problem being in the mainline to the 1st valve?
City performed test hooked in to where the water comes straight out of the ground.. No Curb stop, no PRV. Have dug up the main line from just before the BF all the way past BF, MV to the tee where 1st valve is and carries on to more valves, its straight and round, replaced any way, same issue. There is a valve on the meter and have opened and closed it many times, same result.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What did the city testing show? If you pulled the meter and did a flow test from the upstream pipe, you have eliminated everything but the curb stop.

Is there full flow and pressure at any point you have measured?
Old 08-01-2014, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Main line is running underneath busy hwy where it is tied into a 16" main.
Size, length, and type of pipe?
Old 08-01-2014, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
.....Main line is running underneath busy hwy....
I glossed right over that. If you have the misfortune to have a galvanized steel supply line running under this highway, its rusting up can gradually kill the flow.

One of the unhappier moments in this trade I can recall was a rush-rush job where it was belatedly discovered that the 1-1/2 inch meter in the basement was fed from a galvanized line coming from the opposite side of a divided highway, more than a thousand feet away.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Meet up with the city yesterday. Had my numbers wrong from they performed the flow and pressure test. !7.44 gpm with a dynamic pressure of 76.
City guy allowed me to hook straight into upstream pipe. I by-passed everything, Ball valve, BF, MV and zone 1 valve. Finally it ran correctly.
There is either a kink or an obstruction from the owners side of the meter to the BF. Got utilities located again to be real sure there is nothing down about 4'.
got a big hole to dig. Today I hope to have found the culprit. I will try to get some pics of the mess.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

sorry. that is 17.44 gpm.