Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-10-2000, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Soon after my lawn was seeded, we had very heavy rains. The grass came in ok, but the lawn is full of ruts where the rain ran off. Most are about 3 inches deep, and about 2 inches wide. Is there an easy way to get rid of these - lawn is 50,000 sq. ft. Core aeration, steam roller, etc.??

Thanks,
Brento
Old 10-10-2000, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

try filling ruts in with new dirt, mulch or sand. dont fill em in allat one time. i recomend sand, its helped me quikly, and thats what the golf coarses use also. two words--- FILLEM IN!
Old 10-10-2000, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have grass growing in the ruts, now is the time to smooth them out in a cool season grass. Using a digging fork, go straight down outside the rut then pull back on handle before pulling fork out. You are then pushing soil underground and lifting the rut up. Do this along one side of the rut, then press soil with foot from outside the rut toward rut - this pushes more soil under the rut. Repeat for other side of rut. I just repaired 40' of dual tire rut today from a truck on one of my lawns; had sunk in 3" in some places, and had to work 2-3 steps outside the rut in some areas. The only problem you will have is to learn how far outside the rut you want to start, and how much to pull on the fork (how much dirt to shift); but you will learn that quickly.

If there is no grass in the ruts, and grass is growing well outside the rut, then do the same as above, but before pulling the fork out - after pulling the handle back - push into soil a little deeper, then push it towards rut. You are actually stretching the good grass to cover the bare rut. This will only work for bare spots around 2" wide like you mention.

Either way, just try to accomplish evenness, and don't worry too much about appearance. Your grass will grow well for a few weeks yet this fall, and by Memorial Day next year you should see no traces of your coverup.

[Edited by GroundKprs on 10-11-2000 at 02:26 AM]
Old 10-12-2000, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

nice reply jim
anthony
Old 10-13-2000, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks.

Thanks for your responses. This forum is an excellent resource!!!