Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2014, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

My buddy, this year in late April as Bermuda was coming out of dormancy, decided to spray his own 4000 sq ft front lawn with a 25 gallon sprayer.

He added:
Half of a 2.5 gallon jug of Tri-mec
Quarter jug of Prowl
and God only knows how much Blue die was in that tank. He said the die was used to ruin the kids shoes that walked across his lawn on their way to school.

He put all of the 25 gallons on the front lawn (driveway included). Yep, it looked like something from the Smurfs. Even he was blue from head to toe. When I asked him what he was doing, he replied that he had some Crab grass that he needed to get rid of. LOL! Needless to say, all he has now is crabgrass.

And I do have video of it to prove that people are that dumb. OR in his case, highly intoxicated!
Old 07-30-2014, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Kbrashears

I forgot to warn you that he also told me that he was going to move to North Central Arkansas (Mountain Home) and start his own spray service because he was the only one up there that knew what they were doing.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Skip sure is being quiet...
What do you want me to say?
Old 07-30-2014, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
What do you want me to say?
At least defend your position...

You come on here and talk about how the EPA sees the lawn care industry as a bunch of half wits who need everything spelled out to the letter because they can't be trusted to make the right decision without having their hand held...and you pretty much come across as agreeing with them.

Then when confronted with "real life" evidence of big business marketing and "Consumer Clownism" that the EPA just seems to turn a blind eye to....You have absolutely nothing to say.

Sorry Skip, that strikes me as very odd...actually...kind of suspicious.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My apologies to grassmasterwilson and the other guys who wanted to talk about dallisgrass control. I didn't mean for this thread to get hijacked. I was just saying that we still need to follow the labels, even if it sacrifices lawn conditions.

Ted, I'm not saying that everyone else is saintly and that LCO is the only group making poor applications. I was just emphasizing the importance of following the label, even if its not as effective as going off-label.

You're trying to use anecdotes to convince me that professional applicators are better product stewards and better environmental stewards than homeowners. I'm not disagreeing with you. I've pushed this position for the last 35 years! But, it only makes sense to our regulators if they believe it. My caution is that we follow product labels very stringently (even when university professors suggest something otherwise).

It does us no favors to point to how poorly others act if our own house isn't in order. All I'm doing is reiterating the importance of being the good actors, no matter who else is being a bad actor.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
My apologies to grassmasterwilson and the other guys who wanted to talk about dallisgrass control. I didn't mean for this thread to get hijacked. I was just saying that we still need to follow the labels, even if it sacrifices lawn conditions.

Ted, I'm not saying that everyone else is saintly and that LCO is the only group making poor applications. I was just emphasizing the importance of following the label, even if its not as effective as going off-label.

You're trying to use anecdotes to convince me that professional applicators are better product stewards and better environmental stewards than homeowners. I'm not disagreeing with you. I've pushed this position for the last 35 years! But, it only makes sense to our regulators if they believe it. My caution is that we follow product labels very stringently (even when university professors suggest something otherwise).

It does us no favors to point to how poorly others act if our own house isn't in order. All I'm doing is reiterating the importance of being the good actors, no matter who else is being a bad actor.

I agree with what you are saying in This post.

I am telling you that our regulators see what they want to see...what they are told to see...what they are paid to see.

I firmly stand by every post I've made in this thread and am done speaking on this matter...for now.

Grassmaster, this is it in a nutshell. There are some combinations of selective products for warm season turf that do a pretty good job of stunting Dallisgrass for a limited time. I have found none that will actually kill it... and I've tried many. The most success I have had since the demise of MSMA is ultra low doses of Glyphosate at a 2 week interval applied to bermudagrass only between Sept 15 and Nov 15. I get approx. 90-95% kill on the target.

Otherwise, I dig a lot of DG these days...

Good Luck
Old 07-31-2014, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dallisgrass is a southern grass right? It is adapted to warm weather.
Maybe if you could just ship it to Minneapolis for the winter.
Failing that--maybe stack 50 pounds of ice on top of it. Use dry ice at minus 100 degrees, if you want to be sure. Try to get the soil temp down to about zero. Cover with insulation--to keep out the heat.