Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2014, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=gcbailey;5085888]The Oboz... I'll try to get some new pics of all three pairs in the next couple of days... For the money the Irish Setters have been the best.
Posted via Mobile Device

Great! I really appreciate all the info this will be the first time spending a good sum of money on a pair of boots so I want the best!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2014, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought a pair of red wing non steel toe USA made and they saved my foot. I. Dropped my loaded trailer on them and all that happened was a broke big toe. For that reason I will only buy red wing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2014, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Anything Timberland PRO!
Old 08-25-2014, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Danners are sweet! I farm full time and mow on the side and have had the same danners for over 2 years and wear them every day year round. getting pretty worn out got a new pair but the old ones have a few more miles I think
Old 08-26-2014, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Dunlops all year round!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-31-2014, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

GCBailey,
Hope the Oboz work out for you. If not, give the Vasque Breeze boots a shot. Mine are great on my feet and lasted 2 years, wearing them every day. Great traction and a vibram sole, too. I've been wearing the Breeze GTX and now they have a new version called the Breeze 2.0 GTX, but they don't look much different.
Yeah, they are made in China, but are the best boots I've ever worn.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Think I'm going to try red backs
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-01-2014, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a pair of merrells this year, not as good as my vasques, were…disappointed.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

OK, I know it's been over a month since I said I would do a "review" of the Oboz and Georgia Boot.... Sorry...

I picked up the Oboz around the middle of July, you can see the wear/tear after about 1.75 months of daily wear, 10+ hours daily. As far as comfort goes, they are beyond excellent. I may be saying that because for the past 9+ years I've always wore a typical "work boot" which after a few hours you really start feeling them on your feet. With the Oboz I can wear them all day and fatigued feet are the last thing I'm worried about.

I do have a couple of issues with the Oboz, number one is traction. Even though they have an impressive looking tread, they don't grip anywhere like a Vibram sole or typical logger. This is especially true in wet/damp conditions. I have slipped and slide in the same spots over and over that I've never had an issue with your typical "work boots". The tread is also a softer material and is noticeably wearing even after less than 2 months. These things may be made to give a couple seasons at most on the AT, but not our weekly mileage on properties. Issue number two is their "waterproofness". With your typical leather boots morning dew was never an issue. Even though these are supposed to "B Dry" your socks will get damp and swampfoot will ensure.

Overall I'd give the Oboz a B+.... if your on level to minimal hills they should be great. If you're on challenging terrain, Ehhh..... However, they are probably one of the most comfortable all day wear "work" shoes I've ever had.

OK... Now the Georgia Boots.... I picked these up in April to replace the Irish Setters. They felt great for the first couple of weeks then after about week 3 I kept getting blisters all over my feet. I've never had issues with blisters outside of sports in high school. The boots always felt good, but I would get blisters. Again, the boots felt good, but with a set of full grain leather, gortex boots, you do know you are wearing them after a few hours. These are also a 8" boot. Not my preference, but I thought I'd give them a go. Traction wise, these boots are excellent for holding you and a 10lb trimmer in place on basically all slope you can crawl or attempt to climb. The vibram sole is awesome for that. They are extremely waterproof also. Countless times I've stepped in water over the laces of the boot and perfectly dry. No issues with that.

Overall I'd give the Geogia Boots a B+ also. I did semi-retire them when I purchased the Oboz, but still for our "swamp" properties I pull them out. My only issue was the blisters. The boots were sized properly, I just don't know what was the deal. My feet weren't sliding in them, they kept my feet in place within the boot, so I don't know....
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2014, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
love my ariat workhogs
best boots hands down
scag 1648 belt drive wb
stihl 94
stihl 90s
Kawasaki 27b
stihl 600 bb