Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2014, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pierre's electric mouse/vole trap

As some of you might remember, last year I managed to eliminate 3 voles using peanut butter and mouse trap. This year they are back.

So I came up with the following creation (see pics). The metallic mesh is 6' long by 3' wide. I think it is either 1/2" or 3/4"mesh. I used two pieces of wood to prevent the mesh from touching each other and also used it to electrify the mesh. I left about 1/2" space between the two pieces. It is connected to 120V @ 15 amps in a completely fenced area.

The vole(s) path to my lawn is to the right of my setup. So my guess is that it travelled over the first mesh )on the right side on the pic) and everything was fine. But then it reached over the second mesh while being in contact with the first mesh and did one hell of a jump and landed in a hole of the mesh.

My assumption is that the initial shock didn't kill it. But it tried to escape by going thru the mesh.

Last edited by Michael J. Donovan; 07-31-2014 at 03:32 PM. Reason: images too large, please resize. thanks
Old 07-31-2014, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One thing I forgot to mention: I was too lazy to do it this time, but if you have an old bug zapper lying around, connecting the bug zapper to a set up like mine would be more efficient. I might do it if I still have lawn damage due to vole. It will most likely result in burn to the rodent if not instant death.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

where are the pictures???
Old 07-31-2014, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, as written by: Last edited by Michael J. Donovan; Today at 03:32 PM. Reason: images too large, please resize. thanks

So the pics were there, but Mr. Donovan decided to remove them. And I have never resized pictures before in my life. So it could be a little while before they are back.

Sorry for that.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here are the pics again...

Old 08-05-2014, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

SURPRISE! SURPRISE!

My mouse/vole electric trap got a skunk last night!!!!

You have been warned!

Sorry for not taking a pic, but I wasn't exactly in a good mood when I woke up an hour ago and saw this. Getting rid of a dead skunk... At least now I know for sure what was making the yellow mark on the lawn.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would remove that thing ASAP.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
I would remove that thing ASAP.
Ha! Ha! Ha! I got a big plastic garbage bag (inside out) and put it in, but the tip of my fingers (left hand) touched the bag that was in contact with its skin (I had to try twice to get it in the bag) and so I got stinky fingers.

Fortunately for me, I found a recipe of peroxide/baking soda /liquid dishwashing detergent that did the trick. Anything my fingers touched got the smell transferred. Cleaning everything was fun... NOT!

I should have taken a pic, but... What is interesting is that you would think the electricity would kill the mouse/vole more easily than a much larger animal like a skunk, but it is not the case. The skunk was electrified all night as it died right over the two pieces of metallic mesh. Once it got electrified, it died right there, half its body on one mesh and the other half on the other mesh. While the vole (in the pic above) got an electric shock but jumped and landed about two feet from where it got the shock and what actually killed the vole is its attempt to escape the mesh by going thru it and being caught. IOW, the electricity didn't kill the vole. It only confused the hell out of it and the vole wanting to escape the mesh went thru it and got caught midway in a space it couldn't go thru. Fascinating.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dangerous. Keep a shovel handy. Neighborhood cats could get into trouble. Or worse--what if you trip and fall onto the mesh?
You may have to bury the evidence. "Have you seen Fluffy? Here Kitty Kitty."
Old 08-05-2014, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Dangerous. Keep a shovel handy. Neighborhood cats could get into trouble. Or worse--what if you trip and fall onto the mesh?
You may have to bury the evidence. "Have you seen Fluffy? Here Kitty Kitty."
Don't worry, I did test my setup. Yes sir I'm that kind of (crazy) guy, I put one hand on one mesh and the other hand on the other mesh. I wanted to know how strong the shock would be. When I was young, during the summer months, I used to work in the construction company my dad had and I must have had 5 to 10 electric shocks 120V @15 amps. It is not pleasant, but it never really bothered me too much. But that was indoor, on a dry floor with no water nearby. Since this was outside, I wanted to see how much the shock would be amplified by a wet grass/ground. Actually, it is not so bad.

No, I have not seen Fluffy. But this is a completely fenced private property. So you trespass at your own risk. Speaking of the fence, it is the type that no animal can go thru (only rodents can go thru). So one has to climb over the fence to reach the property.

But thanks for your words of wisdom I'll remain alert...