Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2014, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusbuster View Post
I have to strongly disagree with you on both points....In CA and in most states, you sign an agreement to subject yourself when "Lawfully" requested by a peace officer for a breath, blood or urine test.

And the 4th Amendment tells us what lawfully is. Just because I am driving does not mean that I am driving drunk. There must be reasonable suspicion, and a DUI checkpoint is not reasonable suspicion.

You have to be "STUPID" to go through a DUI check point as there are plenty of opportunities(at least here in CA) to not go through them or turn and avoid them.

Inspection of all vehicles for commercial purposes I have no problems with that.

Why shouldn't private vehicles be inspected with no reasonable suspicion, either? Why only commercial?

What I do have a problem is if you have employees you are subject 1 time a year inspection at your yard looking at your vehicle. To top it off, you have to pay for the privilege.

DOT stopping all commercial vehicles(this includes cars trucks towing trailers) I have no qualms with this. Why? Maybe if they had this program in force at the time(early 80's), my then girlfriend would be alive and I wouldn't had stayed in the hospital for 3 months. We were hit by a tractor trailer who had lost his breaks due to a cracked air hose. He hit us head on going 55 plus. Sometimes on a bad day I wonder how I made it.
I am sorry for your loss and injuries, but your loss does not mean my Constitutional rights should be violated. It was God's will that she died and you didn't. And that it happened. Nothing can change it.

Besides, a cracked air hose can happen at any time, inspections or not.

Annual vehicle inspections are a scam and a waste. They are a snapshot in time. A truck can get 100,000 or a million miles between annual inspections. Brand new things break within a month or two. Anything can go wrong, even directly after an inspection, metal fatigue or something not visible to the mechanic.

Annual inspections are a feel good progressive action that do nothing in reality, but make it appear like the gov't cares and is doing something.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 07-31-2014, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
I am sorry for your loss and injuries, but your loss does not mean my Constitutional rights should be violated. It was God's will that she died and you didn't. And that it happened. Nothing can change it.

Besides, a cracked air hose can happen at any time, inspections or not.

Annual vehicle inspections are a scam and a waste. They are a snapshot in time. A truck can get 100,000 or a million miles between annual inspections. Brand new things break within a month or two. Anything can go wrong, even directly after an inspection, metal fatigue or something not visible to the mechanic.

Annual inspections are a feel good progressive action that do nothing in reality, but make it appear like the gov't cares and is doing something.
Mark thanks on the condolence.

Commercial, as the name means any vehicle that is used in trade. In CA, Pick Up trucks automatically are considered a commercial vehicle and is plated and charged as such. The only way to get around this if you have a camper permently attached, then is considered a personal RV. Boils down to is what you pay in weight fees and tax.

So if a DUI check point is not constitutional, why are they done in every state then? Remember, driving is a privilege that is regulated. Not a born right.

Again, the random safety check points do work. I just disagree with having to pay somebody already getting paid my taxes to do a job that they should be doing in the first place.

I forget what state you live in, but come to a state where you get N.A.F.T. A. drivers in and you'll be happy that they do random safety checks on tractor trailer

I don't deny that some of our rights have been whittled away. However, that just explains that the a lot of society doesn't know how to reason and cant or wont make their own opinions even if they are right or wrong. it is always follow the leader regardless if an elephant or a donkey.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I live in Michigan. DUI checkpoints are not performed in this state because our AG ruled them unconstitutional. There's quite a few states that do not allow them.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office